A Newbies Qwest! Road to Adepticon

justright

Hello! First I Better introduce myself! Im an over the road trucker.. old 40k player .. just finished a warmachine journeyman league that i really enjoyed. And now I've set my sights on learning and playing malifaux,, to the point where if we meet at adepticon i should be competent enough with things to have a good time. That said after playing a game with rasputina vs Seamus probably 8 months ago.. i figure i should do research and ask some questions on the forums here! I will update my progress as i go for fun... battle reports and rules discoveries! I'm a painter at heart... and the stories and schemes make for tantalizing interest to what im custom to. So hello ,, how do.. and thanks for the input!

so as my first update.. i have .. acquired.. the updated rulebook, borrowed the two expansion books.. researched some crews.. browsed the wiki pull my finger! and started this thread and am interested in learning with Ophelia LaCroix.. because i think i may add Som'er Teeth Jones Later. I'm concerned about the popularity of gremlins... and difficulty of style of play to learn with .. but also i think they sound funny to me .. so for now i have her in mind.. opposite this choice would be any master from the guild.

Seems like there's no constant faction in Malifaux. Neverborn seem to be the most prolific, but even then, they're not a majority.

For myself, I have one master from each faction, with all the Guild masters, and all the Outcast masters except for Hamelin (next on my list) and the gremlins (just don't care for them). I'm working on getting all the Henchmen, and so far am only short Collodi and Molly.

Signed up for three malifaux events at adepticon. Reading rule book currently up to page 19 ..the basics ..tokens... confused for a minute about how all models but spirits block but do not grant cover.. then I see items block and do give cover if its a partial block.partial line of sight and ht differences apply before granting cover... learned about sloping terrain that's elevated vs flat elevated terrain that provides a shadow zone equal to the ht of the terrain feature.... more to come

So far so good! Learning the fate deck. Flips.Twisting fate.soulstone addition.joker effects.. phases..alternate activations based off initiative flip (which can be replaced by a soulstone not added too) simple and opposed duels..lowest initiates fate cheats and soulstone usage ...general action..specific action.all action..stopping at page 33 for now.

Wondering how often in a game does the soulstone for replace of the flip for initiative seem game altering with combined activations!

so as my first update.. i have .. acquired.. the updated rulebook, borrowed the two expansion books.. researched some crews.. browsed the wiki pull my finger! and started this thread and am interested in learning with Ophelia LaCroix.. because i think i may add Som'er Teeth Jones Later. I'm concerned about the popularity of gremlins... and difficulty of style of play to learn with .. but also i think they sound funny to me .. so for now i have her in mind.. opposite this choice would be any master from the guild.

Just to add some notes on your choice of crew (I'm no expert, I'm mostly new, ignore my post count):

Ophelia with So'mer lends to a gun line list. If you are not into shooting a lot, go So'mer with pigs (it still has some range game, but it isn't a gun line). Check out the Outcast sub forum and the PullMyFinger wiki for more help/tips.

Edited by Da Big Baws

Yeah cover is a bit tricky. Just remember that terrain grants cover but models never do. They can block LOS if they are big enough but standing partially behind another model does not give you cover.

It was designed this way because allowing models to grant cover led to a lot of other issues that made the game get really complicated(more then it already is).

Welcome to the game, and good luck on you road to Adepticon. I am the Wyrd event coordinator for the con so feel free to hit me up for any event specific questions you may have.

Wondering how often in a game does the soulstone for replace of the flip for initiative seem game altering with combined activations!

Depends on the crew. Crews with companion can win a game if they can manage to go first in a turn. Its not always used but it does happen sometimes.

Will do torgath! Thanks..

So here's a question? So during the draw phase say I draw a black joker.. I can't discard it until my next draw phase because the discard step happens before I draw...and scince the black joker must be used "when it is revealed" I have to use it on the first fate check oppurtunity? Because its revealed to me at the time of my draw step? And scince I can't cheat fate with a negative modifier.. I could technically make it to the next discard step by suffering negative modifier flips until then? Or no?

Will do torgath! Thanks..

So here's a question? So during the draw phase say I draw a black joker.. I can't discard it until my next draw phase because the discard step happens before I draw...and scince the black joker must be used "when it is revealed" I have to use it on the first fate check oppurtunity? Because its revealed to me at the time of my draw step? And scince I can't cheat fate with a negative modifier.. I could technically make it to the next discard step by suffering negative modifier flips until then? Or no?

Drawing a card into your hand does not reveal the card.

You can leave it in your hand for as long as you like.

we had a discussion a while back about would you rather keep safe in your hand or discard it at the first possible oppitunity?

But you certainly don't have to cheat it in at the first possible oppitunity

Thanks for the input everyone... did'nt get much more done today .. found aethervox and am planning on downloading and subscribing when I go by the house! Will post more later today on the findings I have in the rules manual...

The Gamers lounge also has covered Malifaux a lot. Something to keep in mind is both podcasts did start pre-Rules Manual so older casts might have rules that have changed now.

What would keep a player from camping on the black joker(keep it in your hand) the entire game so it doesn't come up in any flips?

There are two schools of thought. One school says keep it in your hand then it can never harm you. The other school says discard it at your next discard phase. That way you assure two turns where it won't come up but you still get a 6th card other then the black joker on the 2nd turn.

Its all about Risk vs Reward. Keeping it is the safe approach but discarding it means you get more useful cards in your hand.

experience.

after you play all the scenarios and once you know what all the masters/crews do you will know exactly what to do and when to do it, which will keep the thinking time down and the play time fast.

also gremlins are extremely awesome. ophelia is very straight forward with big guns, and pigs are probably even more powerful but a lot trickier to use, understand, and get the most out of. sooey is your friend.