Define Terrain Piece

CannonFodder

Question

I'm not looking for official response.

The reason I'm asking is that there are some schemes and strategies that say interact with X pieces of terrain. Now if playing on a table with forests and houses, I think its clear. But what if you are playing on a table with say a graveyard where you have a small area with lots of Tiny terrain pieces. or if you have interior terrain with a room full of table (showgirls theatre).

Do you play with a minimum distance between interacted terrain, or limit it to one piece per Room, graveyard, but it can be any piece in those areas. I watched a game where people played on Terraclips and not much else, and the quick agreement was each tile counted as one piece.

How do you rule it?

2 answers to this question

I'm actually pretty strict about what I count as terrain. The reason for this is the number of things that can interact with terrain in powerful ways. For example, I would definitely be opposed to each Terraclips tile being terrain because Rasputina could abuse that terribly.

In the case of something like a graveyard, depending on the size, I'd probably say it was one big piece (and thus can't choose a bunch of tombstones as terrain).

But largely, I've not had a problem with anyone trying to gain an extreme advantage out of it, and thus not needed to spell anything out. If there is an example where someone could get a greater use out of a certain definition of terrain, they tend to understand why that could be a problem and don't use it.

I kind of go with the terrain placement rules. It says 2-4 pieces 3 inches by 3 inches per square foot. So I would try to break it up like that. For your tavern example I would try to break the tables up into a set of table groups (think a Waitress' section) or if that doesn't work, set a marker on certain tables and agree with your opponent that those are the only ones that can be picked as "terrain" for stratedgies and schemes, just make sure you do this befor you pick stratedgies and schemes.