Z/Lil vs. Dream/Lil 40ss Brawl double Lelu/Lilitu defeat

NBmaster

So I met up with some guys tonight at our lgs to get some league games in as we are currently in the middle of our Oct./Nov achievement league her in S.A. TX. I played quick 25ss Pandy vs. Dream with a new player, who had just purchased his Daydreams not minuets before, teaching him the finer points of dreamer and his alpha strike. Although i was almost tabled by the third turn I was able to rally and get 4 evidence planted and won the game while having been tabled, an achievement point no less.

Then came the main event for the evening facing off against another Neverborn Player, I decided to reveal my crew before my strategies were selected. I Decided to run:

Zoraidia +av (which i should have taken PMagic instead)

Lilith

Collodi

Marionettes x4

Doppelganger

Weaver Widow

Stitched Together

For a total of 40ss with 9ss pool

My Opponents crew:

Lilith

Dreamer

Daydreams x3

Lelu x2

Lilitu x2

Desp. Merc.

Student of Conflict attached to lil

For a total of 39ss with 10ss i believe

the Shared Strategy was: Deliver the Message

My schemes: Grudge: Student of Conflict

Assassinate: Lilith

My opponent confidently choose no schemes

Deployment was: standard my opponent won the flip so i deployed 1st by his choosing, the Location was: edge of the bog with lots of trees severe terrain and the like. I deployed behind some trees and ruins out of los of opponent who deployed all but both l/l sets

1st turn

I won the initiative, so i activated Zoraida who created a wicked doll and obeyed the WW to create a scrap counter

He activated Dreamer/Daydream combo moved dreamer up then followed with the daydreams leaving Dreamer only about 14 inches away from one of my marionettes. Not sure why he didnt alpha strike, maybe he didnt think he would make it not sure.

I activated the Doppel and mimic obey, cast on WW to make a scrap counter

He moved Lilith up 2 inches in front of Dreamer but to the right of him

WW activated made a wicked doll and failed to make a 2nd one

Think the DM moved up at this time

And then i Activated Collodi gave the dolls fast and then gave 2 dolls Melee Expert and then activated the Stitched which ran up 2 wk actions, then activated the marionettes.

The f1st one took a wk then a 3 inch wk with a pull string on Collodi bringing him b2b then another wk with the fast action. The 2nd spent a 0 to retract to b2b an then took a wk then charged the Dreamer defended against the doll. the 3rd then retracted and charged Lilith also hit her with 2 more attacks having fast and MExpert. The 4th retracted and I believe attacked the Dreamer maybe with a flurry but didnt manage to scratch the little dude. Didnt do any dmg but a few ss were deff burned.

He then moved up his SoC thus ending all his activations

I then activated the 1st wicked doll who used a 0 to be moved withing 2 inches of Collodi to attack the Dreamer which after 3ap (fast) and a MExpert action i was able to do 2wds and a poison. The 2nd wicked doll didnt fair as well against Lilith not doing any dmg but did manage to tag a near by daydream for 1wd.

My Lilith then activated run up by the stitched then use MoM to charge the other Lilith through a section of ruins. I believe she managed to do 3 dmg to the other Lilith

2nd Turn

I won the initiative again (love you Doppel)

So i activated Collodi gave all the dolls fast and gave 2 of them MExpert i also made a wicked doll activate next. It did and sacrificed itself to deal 2wds to Lilith and give her slow (didnt realize till a sec later i have given MExpert to the WD). I then activated the marionettes Making Lilith burn some more soulstones. I then killed the Dreamer forcing my opponent to unbury Chomp and the L/L combos the lelus on the right with Chompy in some woods and the 2 Lilitus on the left on the backside of Collodi about 5 inches back I then proceed to deal some dmg to one of the Lelu's and to move a marionette between the lilitu's and Collodi also dmging 1 of the Lilitu's

My opponent then Activated Lilith using his 2ap to do the whirling death which he had to cheat to miss his own models and only killed 1 of my marionettes

I then answered back with my Lilith who Finished off one of the Lelu's and did 3dmg to Lilith bringing her to 6wds

Chompy then tried to eat my Lilith but only managed 6wds and exhusting his ss supply.

At this point my 2nd wicked doll activated and delivered the message to Lilith scoring me 3vp

The only Lelu left activated choosing to bond only with one lilitu so the lelu could go first. He charged my Lilith but to no avail she dodged his charge and MExpert attacks. The 1st Lilitu then activated and attacked a marionette dealing 1wd and lured Collodi twice hitting once but i moved the dmg over to the marionette which had already been dmg thus killing it.

I then used Zoraida to make another wicked doll and obey the stitch to attack a lelu but nothing happened

The Daydreams made some attacks but didnt kill anything

Dopple obeyd to try for a doll but nothing

Desp Merc charged collodi but missed

WW tried to create some dolls but didnt work out

The SoC charged a marionette doing nothing

My last wicked doll then ported to collodi and did 1dmg to Lilith. Stitched then Gambled the Lelu and won once dealing 3 to the lelu and lost once dealing 3 to himself

3rd Turn

I got initiative again

Collodi summoned a marionette gave MExpert to 3 dolls which did 2 more dmg to Lilith Killed the Soc (nabbing me 2vp) and killing 1 lilitu

His Lilith then went Killing 3 marionettes and hit his Desp Merc trying to kill it for the heal flip only doing 3wds, so no flip, with whirling strikes and hit Collodi doing 4 dmg with the fast action

My Lilith activated next and dispatched of Chompy along with the 3 daydreams with 2 ap and hit the Lelu for 3dmg i think

After that his L/L combo activated Lelu delivered the message and then killed Lilith and tried to lure Collodi with the Lilitu missing on all 3 attacks

Zoraida then summoned a voodoo doll on the lelu and obeyed it to attack Lilith but missed

Doppel moved up twice next to the stitched

WW tried for dolls but nothing happened

My stitched then gambled the lelu and got severe killing it

At the end of this turn the Desp Merc was killed cause he didnt have a ss to spend on it

Turn 4

Again i won initiative

Activated Collodi popped out another doll and proceeded to Kill Lilith

His Lilitu, now his only model left on the board tryed to lure Collodi to no avail 3 times

I then moved Zoraida up using raven

Then had the Doppel mimic 10wp and gamble your life moved into position and cast it on on the Lilitu doing severe dmg killing the Lilitu.

Game ends turn 4 with a complete wipe of his models and a score of 7-1 my favor. So all in all i only lost my 4 marionettes and a Wicked Doll which I sacrificed.

It was a great game that really showed that no matter how much SOMEONE recommends only using L/L combo it can still be overwhelmed very easily and is not always the best thing to run for Neverborn in tournament or otherwise.

Some might say that i lost because my opponent didn't alpha strike me but i also deployed basically in a straight line across the back of the deployment zone so he prob couldn't have gotten to me any way which is why he didn't try. Now i will also say that he was way too gung ho about getting dreamer up into the fray but then again this is a guy who bought Nightmare Chomp through the web when it came out at Gencon he also has at least double the models i do and i own all 4 NB masters and Collodi, So i would at least call him a seasoned player if not a vet.

Again just wanted to point out that L & L arn't the best things since sliced bread that everyone makes them out to be.

Nice write up! Good read and made some very good points.

After reading it through a second time I think I see what the Dreamer player was lining himself up to do. I wont speculate here, but it was certainly not a "newbie" mistake or anything like that. He had something in mind. You basically handled the situation perfectly and forcing the Dreamer down ASAP really cuts the head off that beast. Nicely done man! *applaudes*

The L&L is not the best thing since sliced bread and simply will never be no matter how much some people want to make it seem that way. They are good, but not unstoppable or broken. Just takes a little thought to handle them ;)

Nice battle report, thanks for sharing.

I don't think it stands up as evidence either way of L&Ls strengths or otherwise though. It sounds like when you killed the Dreamer, your opponent was forced to drop his Nightmares at an inopportune time, in a bad position. If nothing else, his Lelu killed your Lilith and got him sone VPs for the Strategy. Under better circumstances, they would probably have done better, and even the best model can do badly at times. I don't think his double L&L crew selection was the only or even the main reason for his defeat.

Have to say I have my doubts about the experience of a player who chooses to take no Schemes though. That's a baffling decision right there.

Mike

Nice report

I would certainly say that most of the Dreamer players moves look good, but I am very dubious about not having any schemes (unless you meant he had them hidden rather than he didn't have any).

The dreamer is vulnerable to being attacked before he is ready, its just its often tricky to achieve. If you can punish him for having few activations then go for it.

Well played

• 2 weeks later...