Ramos vs Hoffman

Unfettered

So For my second force (my first being a Vic and schill combo (vic schill?)) I really wanted a magic-esque force. Now I love automaton but I'm having trouble deciding between these two masters. What are the major differences in play style? Also does Kaeris work well with Ramos ? Finally (and much less importantly mind you) which is the more competitive of the two?

I've been leaning toward Ramos as he seems to have the better/more interesting avatar.

Right now Hoffman is better.

Once the Avatars are available, Ramos without a doubt.

The major differences right now are, that Hoffman has large amounts of synergy with his crew but generally requires bunching up; Ramos is more of a classic nuker/summoner and is generally just a bit crap (mostly cos he's missing 2-3ss and a couple of points of Df).

Also, Ramos is just plain cooler than Hoffman. Hoffman is a bit of a wimp that only uses is powers when he's on the verge of crying like a little girl, Ramos is hardcore and everyone is scared of him.

Right now Hoffman is better.

Once the Avatars are available, Ramos without a doubt.

The major differences right now are, that Hoffman has large amounts of synergy with his crew but generally requires bunching up; Ramos is more of a classic nuker/summoner and is generally just a bit crap (mostly cos he's missing 2-3ss and a couple of points of Df).

Also, Ramos is just plain cooler than Hoffman. Hoffman is a bit of a wimp that only uses is powers when he's on the verge of crying like a little girl, Ramos is hardcore and everyone is scared of him.

haha :D well you kinda said everything there is to say :D

but the missing points of defence can be done with a totem casting arcing screen

haha :D well you kinda said everything there is to say :D

but the missing points of defence can be done with a totem casting arcing screen

iirc, which I probably don't, arcing screen doesn't effect ramos so he has to manifest for extra def. Alternatively, snowstorms and guardians might help.

Of course it affects him if the totem casts it, he's a construct.

Irrelevent to the point though. Casting arcing screen doesn't "get around" his lack of Df, Seph. It gives him 4. 4 is still terrible.

Anyway, this isnt a Ramos balance thread. Pick Ramos and wait for his avatar, he's way cooler than Hoffman :P

Of course it affects him if the totem casts it, he's a construct.

Irrelevent to the point though. Casting arcing screen doesn't "get around" his lack of Df, Seph. It gives him 4. 4 is still terrible.

Anyway, this isnt a Ramos balance thread. Pick Ramos and wait for his avatar, he's way cooler than Hoffman :P

true, but 4 is way better than his tiny 2 :D and if you are fighting agains a melee based crew.

i agree, Ramos, avatar, go!

Having played Ramos a lot I'll agree with CalmDown (how often do you hear me say that).

That being said I fear people are still overestimating aRamos. aRamos vs Hoffman feels like it'll be about an even power level to me. Although Ramos is definitely MUCH cooler.

not overestimating, but he is one of the best boosts. aRamos vs hoffman is kinda equal, because of hoffman his protection bubble, but thats the "ooh i'm scared i'm going to put up a defence" naah, i like ramos, he is the cool old man, he doesn't need the big defence bubble to become strong

Just to chime in: which of these two are better suited to run the mechanical rider?

Or should I use Leveticus istead of Ramos/Hoffman if I like to run a mechanical rider?

ZK

euhm, levi can use him better in his avatar. but ramos and hoff could use the mech rider as a beatstick, but there are better constructs they can use,

Mechanical Rider is really hyper-efficient for 8 points. Its squishy, but that movement and that combat ability is really strong.

If you're choosing master based on the model, Hoffman isn't the best to use it for; Peacekeeper is far too good as his main 'ride' and a lot tougher. Ramos gets more out of it since he likes (like most non-Collette Arcanist masters do) to have something nice and fast on the board.

Levi will use it well too, but I guess you're relatively new, and Levi is not newbie friendly at all.

Hoffman, a man who despite being crippled finds a way to fight is a wimp? I'd say Ramos using terrorism makes him a big wimp.

He's lucky he randomly got magical powers. He still pretty much just whines a lot and then accidentally uses magic when he gets upset. Nothing to do with his disability. He's basically like a pre-pubescent X-Man.

Every Spellcaster in Malifaux gets their powers at random. Even Ramos.

Ramos has been in Malifaux for years. Hoffman has been for very little, I think less than a year. He may not master his powers, but his powers over machines is superior, so much so that in an unconscious state (book 2 Guild story) Hoffman can have machine protect him.

ramos creates better construct for hoffman to use, ramos wins, :D, and ramos can bypass big armor that hoffman can use, so ramos wins again :D

Hmm...Guardian, Hunter, and Watcher point to Ramos borrowing Hoffman's designs / redesigns. Hoffman can Assimilate anything Ramos has / brings too. He can also have his machines take blow for him.

There is also the irony that Hoffman can hire Ramos into a Guild crew but Ramos can't hire Hoffman into an Arcanist crew. Who is the subordinate there? ;)

*battle of the fanboys*

Edited by Da Big Baws

Hmm...Guardian, Hunter, and Watcher point to Ramos borrowing Hoffman's designs / redesigns. Hoffman can Assimilate anything Ramos has / brings too. He can also have his machines take blow for him.

There is also the irony that Hoffman can hire Ramos into a Guild crew but Ramos can't hire Hoffman into an Arcanist crew. Who is the subordinate there? ;)

*battle of the fanboys*

acctually, hoffman is a true arcanist in his heart, he just doesn't realise this.

hoffman can hire ramos because hoffman was made after ramos, so he got more special rules.