Snow Storm with Kirai

fritz the cat

Im really a fan of the snow storm model, and ive been debating adding it to my kirai list. Anyone have any experience using snow storm with kirai? It doesnt have much built in synergy with kirai being an arcanist spirit. However it can give the crew more mobility, and has a pretty nice blasty spell, and can throw up ice walls which seems situationally cool.

The crew adds even more to his mobility, and can heal him which seems very advantageous for such a tough model.

But yeah, just wondering what other people think.

PS. Less interested in if people think its optimal, and more interested if its even plausible/useful at all.

Edited by fritz the cat

Well, I have no experience with it but it's big weakness IMO is the lack of its own mobility. It has no Melee Expert or Casting Expert and relies on a (1) spell to increase its mobility. I think it would actually be useful in a Kirai crew for the humongous beatstick that she can Swirl into position to potentially Flurry on a target. A Shikome might be better, but I think this is certainly viable. Also, Freeze Heart and December's Command to add just a little mobility to another model that might need to get up there while this one is stealing the Swirl.

It is a cool model and one I might pick up eventually. I don't play Rasputina so it would kind of be just for Kirai. Maybe I would do a small Raspy crew to go with it eventually, but for now it is kind of low on my list.

So, theorycrafting it, it is not optimal. But I don't think it is completely wasted either.

I have experience with Snow Storm playing Rasputina and it wouldn't even get close to my Kirai lists.

The problem is that is just doesn't do enough. No model that is that expensive can ever make its SS back fro you when it only has 2 AP. Its 0 actions are actually not particularly impressive either. All it needs to be great is to have one of its (1) move actions be a (0) action so that it can actually move around and still attack...

His attack is poor (average Cb, no paired, no great triggers, poor damage line), his defense is poor (he has too many pseudo-resistances like Bulletproof and Spirit but not enough real toughness; that's fine on a cheaper model, not an 11 pointer), and his utility is questionable and takes up AP.

The only reason Snow Storm gets love at all is because Rasputina crews are so painfully slow and he brings some maneuverability to them. Don't mistake him being useful (although I still debate how worthwhile) in one crew for actually being a good model for anyone else.

The only thing he brings that is good is Ice Pillars, as Spirit crews love standing behind LoS blocking objects. But 11 points for that, which uses one of his mere 2 AP per turn just isn't worthwhile.

So in final answer to your question, I'd say it's definitely "plausible". He's not a bad model, he's just heavily overcosted for what he does and hence not optimal.

I don't play Kirai, but I think its worth a try... not competitive, but a decent model.

1) can get pushed / pulled by rest of crew.

2) can make any model frozen heart and move it for bother its (0)

3) Mass push everything, I love this because we use a lot of Elevated and climbable terrain.

4) if put into position with datsuba (typo?), can (0) for :+fate and flurry.

5) brings :blast:blast:blast potential to the game, even if off your own model.

I'd bring it to the table to try in a fun game first, then try see if I like the possible synergies before a tournament.

You can use pretty much anything as a set up target. Seishin are too valuable though generally; best to use Night Terrors as you won't oneshot them either thanks to H2K.

But if set up within 8 inches after Kirai activates you can get the Sechin back afterwards. I forget the ability but I think you can make it so the Sechin is considered killed, setting you get another back.

But if set up within 8 inches after Kirai activates you can get the Sechin back afterwards. I forget the ability but I think you can make it so the Sechin is considered killed, setting you get another back.

Seishin Beacon. However, it requires you to activate Kirai earlier in the turn to get the ability going. Also, it lets her take a wound to let them ignore Fragile Connection. Kirai takes a lot of wounds to fuel her abilities, but I don't think I want to be making her take wounds by bouncing blasts off of my own Seishin. Better to do it to a Night Terror like Calmdown said. You can't one shot them thanks to Hard to Kill and if they are already at one, you can get Seishin for your trouble anyway.

I have to agree with Calmdown (most of what I'm going to say is just reiterating). Snowstorm is ok for Raspy due to her cold feet (yes, bad joke, I know), but Kirai doesn't benefit from the mobility since she already has a lot of mobility. His combat isn't stellar, and I'd rather have a Shikome since you can get them in game and they have good versatility. The biggest benefit IMO to having Snowstorm on the field (as Calmdown said) is the Ice Pillars. I've been trying out Raspy a little bit and throwing down Ice Pillars is a great way to deny your opponent objectives, soak up their AP (assuming they try to destroy the pillars), or funnel them to where you want them to go. Given spirits natural tendency to ignore terrain, this is an awesome addition....it just costs too much.

Snow storm was actually the first model I bought. I bought kirai just to play him since I didn't like arcanists at the time. He is pretty cool and fun to play the best part is to swirl him. Into enemys. I eventually took him out just cause he died too fast withh no h2k or h2w he was an easy target. But for fun play him. Also he is good to take out those pesky snipers like nino with his push, its fun to push em off buildings and since no rst its a guarentee.