Base inserts

Nicodem

I used a bit snipped off of a dress pin. It is a more rigid metal than some of the wire I usually use and the fine point meant I could use a very small drill bit and still get a decent bond. Word of warning- don't use your sprue cutters to cut the pin. This kind of metal, since it is very hard, will damage them.

About 1.5mm, not sure on the exact size off hand... as opposed to the veritably tiny 0.5mm that i hate using... smallest part i've used this on so far would probably be a Crooked Man's foot, and the pin and subsequent hole in the base isn't visible under the foot in the slightest

There's your problem. Try moving to a 0.8mm brass rod if your local hobby store carries it. There's a big difference in strength (although its still bendy) and its still tiny enough to be hidden under even the tinyiest of feet.

Don't forget to 'nibble' the sides of the pin with your clipped before you glue. The perfectly smooth rod may not bond so well to the superglue unless you rough up the surface a little.