What IS magic damage

Mr_Smigs

Question

The discussion here:

http://wyrd-games.net/forum/showthread.php?t=25070

Has two interpretations:

1. Flaming Bullets is a spell, so the damage generated by it is Magic Damage

2. Flaming Bullets is a spell, but only modifies the damage of the pistol, so the damage is not magic.

now, if it's #2... the question arises, what is considered "magic damage"

aside from the Magic Weapon trait, where are expressly stated "magic damages"

I would have assumed that any damage provided by a spell is "magic damage" but, looks like that might not be true...

could we get a little clarity on this?

12 answers to this question

The discussion here:

http://wyrd-games.net/forum/showthread.php?t=25070

Has two interpretations:

1. Flaming Bullets is a spell, so the damage generated by it is Magic Damage

2. Flaming Bullets is a spell, but only modifies the damage of the pistol, so the damage is not magic.

now, if it's #2... the question arises, what is considered "magic damage"

aside from the Magic Weapon trait, where are expressly stated "magic damages"

I would have assumed that any damage provided by a spell is "magic damage" but, looks like that might not be true...

could we get a little clarity on this?

It's not damage provided by a spell, it's damage CAUSED by a spell.

So in the case of Flaming Bullets, the spell does not actually cause any damage it's self. What it does is increase the damage of the models strikes. So is not Magic Damage because the source of the damage is the Strike which is it's self not magical. But take Electrical fire. The spell it's self causes damage to the target, and because that damage is caused by the spell it's Magic Damage.

This is really only relivant for Spirit, which when you read the wording carefully states "non-magical sources" which simply means, the source of the damage isn't magic. Because Flaming Bullets increases the Damage of the Strike (aka the weapons), it it's self does no damage. Instead it is the Strike/Weapon that is actually the source of the damage and Flaming Bullets just increases it similiar to how Critical Strike or Brutal would.

EDIT: Ninja'd by the bear!

Edited by karn987

So, Misaki has a Magical Weapon and casts Thunder to give her weapon blasts. Her blasts would deal Magical damage correct? (Because the weapon is magical, not due to the spell)

Just wanted to check because Misaki wrecked Kirai with this and I'd feel bad if we played it incorrectly.

The blasts are coming from a Magical source (her Weapon not the Spell), so yes you are correct.

Sry to necro but I've a related question:

If targeting a spirit, ss damage from Self-Loathing, Self-Destruction or Unveil Guilt halved?

I'm confused coz those spells have no damage code but they also don't provide strikes, they just use a weapons damage code to do damage.

Unless the spirits have magical weapons (which would be a bit silly) Then yes, the Damage is halved. The spell is forcing hits by a weapon, not a weapon in itself.

So any damage from a spell is considered magical damage - so spirits will take full damage from them - as long as it's not a spell that's using the model's non-magical weapons? So: Papa Loco's Take Ya With Me will do full damage to a spirit (as it's a spell), but BOOM will be halved (as it's an ability)? Is that right?

After reading this thread I became confused - so I'm sorry to bump it if it seems old or a resolved issue.

When Zorida summons a Vodoo doll, who then targets a Spirit in LOS for Conduit, and that Spitit recieves 2 poison tokens, does the Spirit, when it activates, take half damage? Wierd Sketch in this thread implies yes, but then he also says that poison inflicts WOUNDS, implying that it would not be halved.

Seems to me that the poison came from a magical source (the summoning of a Vodoo doll who has a magical ability.) Can anyone please clarify?