Viks help

see_the_unseen

So, played my first game with my Viks crew last night and got my a$$ kicked by my mates Ophelia crew.

We played 40ss and I took:

Viks

Taelor

Hamelin

Convict Gunslinger

Ronin x 2

8ss cache

My mate took the family (except the sniper) + 3 young Lacroix, 2 slop haulers and los of Bayou gremlins.

I was slaughtered by turn 5 and just couldn't get close to them without getting shot to bits. He killed 1 Vik in the first turn with Pere and his triple damage trigger of doom!

Any ideas on how to close the distance or should I add more shooting maybe Hans or Friekorps trapper?

how many wounds do each of the gremlins have? can you just hide back and spam black plague to kill 'em?

That's what I told him!;)

But it relies on a great card hand to pull off (something he didn't have...)

You need to be more aggressive mate!

If you feel you maybe shouldn't do something because it might be 'over the top' then that's exactly what you should do!

Oh, and stop looking at your opponents keys....

The Viks are amazing at killing things but they are quite fragile as well. I have found that when using the Viks it is all about timing a nice whirlwind bomb. Make sure you don't send them in too early or they will be overwhelmed. As for some long ranged support the Convict Gunslinger is an excellent choice as is Hans. Try throwing a Student of Conflict in the list to give one of your long range dudes fast. Another trick for getting around shooting is tying up their shooters in melee if you can. Hope this helped!!

The Viks are amazing at killing things but they are quite fragile as well. I have found that when using the Viks it is all about timing a nice whirlwind bomb. Make sure you don't send them in too early or they will be overwhelmed. As for some long ranged support the Convict Gunslinger is an excellent choice as is Hans. Try throwing a Student of Conflict in the list to give one of your long range dudes fast. Another trick for getting around shooting is tying up their shooters in melee if you can. Hope this helped!!

Only problem with being in melee is that with 'aim high' they don't test for ht1 models and even a bayou gremlin has pretty good damage output with tricks like 'ya'll watch this' and 'dumb luck'.

The trick to dealing with gremlins as a vik player is to divide and conquer. Each of your models is a higher SS cost, and therefore theoretically more powerful, than each of your opponent's. Spread your guys out so he can't bring all his guns to bear on a single target, or if he does, use it as a sacrifice to run the rest of your guys up. Even though he has more models, you can kill 1-2 quickly and out-maneuver him with the rest.

Obviously your hand didn't help, but i would agree with bigkid, you needed to be more ruthless mate, while I have my haulers and orphelia in play, il happily throw my bayou 'lins and young'ns at you, remove my healing and all of a sudden my models become a lot more precious..

SS!

..sometimes can't believe I help you guys (unseen and kid) to beat me..

Unless you had a strategy to hold an objective, Taelor seems a bit redundant in this list.

Against Gremlins, I would probably run with two freikorpsmann instead. Quick, decent damage output, and their armour should help no end against the blasts. Taelor seems like overkill to me, that's if you manage to get her into combat in the first place !

I would even consider dropping a SS and swop Taelor for Von Schill.

Obviously your hand didn't help, but i would agree with bigkid, you needed to be more ruthless mate, while I have my haulers and orphelia in play, il happily throw my bayou 'lins and young'ns at you, remove my healing and all of a sudden my models become a lot more precious..

SS!

..sometimes can't believe I help you guys (unseen and kid) to beat me..

Really??

Seem to remember me giving you plenty of help during our last game....

Steve_the_Unclean (tee hee), other than taking the previously mentioned advice on crew composition you need to be methodical when facing Gremlins.

Don't let the sheer numbers scare you. Focus on taking out 3-4 a turn. Then by turn 4 you should be in a position to finish them off.

Use bloomin' Soulstones to avoid your Masters being hit! How the hell you allowed Pere to get 'Stupid Luck' on Victorias I'll never understand.

AND STOP AVOIDING COVER! You wont catch siphilaids!!

Also, take early achieve/short game schemes (Bodyguard, Grudge etc.).

And get you stuff painted on your week off or it's a night in the slammer for you m'laddo!!