Looking for 360 game recommendations

Hi all

Not being much of a gamer but having woken at the weekend with an urge to buy a 360 I now find myself looking to buy a few games for it and was wondering if any of you could help me sort the wheat from the chaff.

Generally I'm mostly into driving games (Got Driver San Fran with it) and beat em ups but think I am looking for games with a bit more depth.

So, what good original games are out there?

Made you a short list XD

• Shooter/Stealth/RPG: Deus Ex Human Revolution
  • RPG: Dragon Age 1 & 2
  • Batman: Batman Arkham Asylum & Arkham City when it releases
  • Beat'm up game: *points to Batman*
  • Good story: *points to Batman and Dragon Age*
  • Driving: Boarder Lands... there are vehicles in it!
  • Fighting: Soul Caliber
  • Online Shooting/multiplayer: Halo Reach (Don't even think CoD or your fired from xbox)
  • Mind Numbingly Hard: Ninja Gaiden 2
  • Butt-kickery: Space Marine or Batman again!
  • Scary long but amazing RPG: Elder Scrolls Oblivion or Skyrium (if thats how it's spelled)
  • Fallout 3: Fallout 3
  • Single Player/Co-Op Shooter + story: Gears of War 1, 2, & 3, Boarder Lands
  • Violance is it's own reward: Bulletstorm

Edited by karn987

Made you a short list XD

• Shooter/Stealth/RPG: Deus Ex Human Revolution
  • RPG: Dragon Age 1 & 2
  • Batman: Batman Arkham Asylum & Arkham City when it releases
  • Beat'm up game: *points to Batman*
  • Good story: *points to Batman and Dragon Age*
  • Driving: Boarder Lands... there are vehicles in it!
  • Fighting: Soul Caliber
  • Online Shooting/multiplayer: Halo Reach (Don't even think CoD or your fired from xbox)
  • Mind Numbingly Hard: Ninja Gaiden 2
  • Butt-kickery: Space Marine or Batman again!
  • Scary long but amazing RPG: Elder Scrolls Oblivion or Skyrium (if thats how it's spelled)
  • Fallout 3: Fallout 3
  • Single Player/Co-Op Shooter + story: Gears of War 1, 2, & 3, Boarder Lands
  • Violance is it's own reward: Bulletstorm

Cheers for that Karn

No worries on the Call of Duty, that style of game doesn't appeal at all. I remember thinking Fallout 3 reminded me of The Road by Cormac McCarthy - and it was also recommended by Chaos Lenny so I think that might definitely be in, so might Soul Caliber and I will check out Borderlands.

I am generally a casual gamer so will avoid the mind-numbingly hard category completely.

Here seems to be my little shortlist so far.

Mass Effect (Just the first one to see if I like it)

One of Gears of War or Bioshock

Bayonetta

Fallout 3

Alice: Madness Returns

Eternal Sonata (I think I will prefer JPRG's to Fantasy types)

Not such a short list but I will have plenty of game time soon so all is good. A few of these seem like they have been out for a while so I may be able to get a few of them on the cheap too.

Thanks for all the suggestions people

Cheers for that Karn

No worries on the Call of Duty, that style of game doesn't appeal at all. I remember thinking Fallout 3 reminded me of The Road by Cormac McCarthy - and it was also recommended by Chaos Lenny so I think that might definitely be in, so might Soul Caliber and I will check out Borderlands.

I am generally a casual gamer so will avoid the mind-numbingly hard category completely.

Here seems to be my little shortlist so far.

Mass Effect (Just the first one to see if I like it)

One of Gears of War or Bioshock

Bayonetta

Fallout 3

Alice: Madness Returns

Eternal Sonata (I think I will prefer JPRG's to Fantasy types)

Not such a short list but I will have plenty of game time soon so all is good. A few of these seem like they have been out for a while so I may be able to get a few of them on the cheap too.

Thanks for all the suggestions people

Just been into my local CEX, they sell Gears of War 1 for £5 and Mass Effect 1 for £8. You can't go wrong at those prices (Assuming you have a local CEX that is :D) I paid £34.99 for gears when it first came out and I wasn't disappointed. Amazing story to the games and you really end up caring about your squad.

Bayonetta I found very crappy. The game went from £35 to £20 within a few weeks which is never a good sign. Then it dropped again. Currently at CEX for £6 and even then I havent bothered. Best think is to download the demo of this on Xbox live (Its free) and gives you a chance to see what its like.

@Eternal Sonata: This was an awesome game in every sense of the word. I played it mainly because it had 3 person co-op! Which was a huge win over nearly every other game at the time (seriously... more freaking co-op *kicks the game studios in the face*). The story is very well thoughtout, full of twists and action. The history they added into the game flowed incredibly well with the games own story and created this odd blend that... simply worked. Never mind that it may have had the best music of any game I've ever played.

@Bayonetta: Its a great game, especially for the low price its at now. The story is crazy and not really that... clear? But the action is great and over the top with a nice brutal feel to it. Not to mention it's got some stunning eye-candy and fan-service in it. But I can't believe I forgot this... Dark Siders is the same style of game but about 1000 times better.

@Darksiders: Tied for my favorite game of all time, this was one incredibly brutal ride. It was hard when you turned up the difficulty and relaxing if you brought it down. The story was great and had a lot more depth then most hack and slash games. Amazing visual effects, moves, characters, and fights. The Sequal is being worked on now and they have a few more planned, I'd seriously get in on this game if it's style appeals to you.

@Mass Effect: It's definitly worth trying at the very least but I'd honestly drop that for Dragon Age if your looking for a solid RPG, unless your not a fan of Fantasy RPG and prefer Scifi RPG. Mass Effect isn't bad... but it's dreadfully boring and repetive at times, to me at least. The only hard fights in it where just plain cheap, like starting the fight face to face with what is basically a war walker. It really wasn't a game for me I guess, the story is certainly very good but I think it was a poor game over-all compared to Dragon Age. The Sequal though... was a much better game over-all, a whole different beast.

Edited by karn987

I also highly recommend Alice: Madness Returns, Dead Island (best game to come out this year if you ask me, I spend hours finding new ways to crash my vehicles in amusing ways and running over zombies, heheh) and Bayonetta (it's a lot of fun). If you're a metal fan, try Brutal Legend, but make sure there are no kids around when you play it, lol.

If you've not played Dead Space then give those game a go, same with the LEft 4 Dead games, you can pick them up dirt cheap if you hunt around.

Elder Scrolls 4 - Oblivion plays better on the pc (same with all games like that really) so get it cheap.

Red Dead Redemption is good fun, though the control system could be better if you ask me (I have issues in that you cannot turn on the spot all that well).

If you like crazy arcade shooters with cute lolita girls, gets Deathsmiles (plus it's VERY cheap).

Oh, and I also highly recommend both of the Dead Rising games, but do not play the 2nd one before playingthe first, not due to spoilers, butthat after the 2nd the first seems rather tedious and the AI is awful on the survivors in comparison to DR2.

• 4 weeks later...
Im genuinely surprised that Angel didn't mention Katherine(or Catherine, both names are in the game), if you like puzzle games it looks pretty cool. She also has been talking about it for the last 2 and a half months, along with Batman.

I do remember seeing something about Catherine and thinking it looked interesting. Not sure when it's due out but will be taking a look at it.

From the previous recommendations I bought fallout 3 first and currently ploughing plenty of hours into it.

Catherine has been released already, it's made by Atlus who is known for their anime style in game graphics and for their weird story lines, not to mention the puzzles. If you have ever played the Persona Games and the Shin Megami games for the PS2 you'll know what I'm talking about. If you like story and puzzles check out Catherine, it's totally worth full retail price.

games i couldn't live without:

Shooters:

-Battlefield- EVERYTHING is able to be destroyed, in other games people may camp a certain spot. Try hiding behind a wall? think again shoot it with a bazooka and watch the wall come apart or even better the building collapse.

-Gears off War- i was never a fan until i played part 3, though I heard the whole series was great I love playing multi player. I have to warn it may raise your blood level at times.

-Bioshock- not a traditional shooter in most regards, excellent story following with spin to the shooter genre.

Role Playing Games:

-Dragon Age- played the first one because it was on the sale rack, never regretted the decision.

-Fallout- just about any game in the series I prefer New Vegas over Fallout 3 but its more just certain mechanics were cleared up. Story wise I agree Fallout 3 was more epic but both are good games.

-Dead Island- trapped on an island resort against zombie tourists! need a say more. Maybe it is because i love all things zombie but i think its a solid game to tide you over.

-Borderlands- great game with over the top humor at parts, mostly a shooter but has enough neat elements to keep you coming back for more.

-Mass Effect- though I haven't had the pleasure in playing it (my brother took it over) it seems like a very well thought out RPG.

Fair Warning on just about ALL Fighting Games- you may remember fighting games way back in the golden age. A lot of the titles are re-releasing but the community for the games are HIGHLY competitive and advanced. Usually not for the casual gamer unless you are just playing against the computer. This may or may not be your thing.

Mortal Kombat definitely looked awesome, but I went with Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 and loved it. That being said, they are releasing an update rather soon that has a handful of new characters, so it's best to wait for the new edition.

I also am a huge fan of Fifa 12, but I'm a bit of a soccer nut. The disk hasn't left the Xbox much since I got it. Though Gears of War 3 keeps drawing me back in.