nix

Sorry took me a while to post to this thread Nix, course work has me bogged down and it JUST started.

Great article though I have no started to use Sonnia just yet, due to my friends being tired of facing my particular brand of Guild. So I am dabbling in Arcanists (Ramos/Marcus in particular) don't you worry though I will be back to my Guild ways soon.

I think you make an excellent point that though Sonnia goes from a great damage dealer with her spells she picks up the ability to do reliable damage due to Pyre and Searing Wave. I also have a big feeling that after she becomes avatar Sonnia will barely move at all if she is near the enemy. She doesn't have a great need TO move. Her pulse can do the damage her Fiery Blasts could never do because the pulse can hit models that the blasts could never dream of.

Pyre/Pyre Command will have opponents tearing their hair out, correct me if i am wrong but due to it not "targeting" that means you do not need LOS to the Pyre correct? So in theory Sonnia can hide behind a wall and spam cast Pyre/Pyre Command followed by Searing Wave.

As far as close combat I may be tempted to use it if i have a :masks in my hand. Just to cast Pyre behind the enemy, attack and trigger "Horrific Burns" make them run straight into the Pyre.. Minimum 5 damage? yes please! Then cast Light Em Up and the damage goes up 8 minimum if they are hit by the spell.

Like I said these are just a few combos off the top of my head, I had the opporunity to buy Avatar Sonnia at Gencon but I held off. But now that she is just around the corner I am picking one up and testing out how she works. At the very least the model is just so great looking that I am happy having it just as centerpiece model.

When I finally get back to playing more Guild here is my proposed Avatar Sonnia List:

Guild Crew - 35 - Scrap

Sonnia Criid -- 7 Pool

+ Sonnia, Avatar of Conflagration [2ss]

Desperate Mercenary [2ss]

Desperate Mercenary [2ss]

Fire Gamin [4ss]

Fire Gamin [4ss]

Fire Gamin [4ss]

Watcher [3ss]

Witchling Handler [7ss]

Witchling Stalker [4ss]

One thing about the Pyre.. I believe it doesn't deal damage when you move it on top of the enemy, only when it activates, since the model itself doesn't move into contact with the pyre - the pyre moves into contact with the model.

For reference, it's the same deal with Terrifying, a model doesn't get scared when a terrifying model walks up to it, but if it gets pushed to the terrifying model, it has to take a test.

One thing about the Pyre.. I believe it doesn't deal damage when you move it on top of the enemy, only when it activates, since the model itself doesn't move into contact with the pyre - the pyre moves into contact with the model.

Correct, and in actual fact that pyre moving into contact is nto the relevant part - the relevant part is that the model is not activating, moving, or ending its activation.

But pushing it into a Pyre still works, or even pushing it whilst its already in contact with a Pyre, because it still "moves into contact". The latter could be semantically overruled by a marshal, of course.

Can the pyre markers overlap each other? Example-

aSonnia is in melee, she cast pyre placing the 1st 1" directly behind the enemy model engaged with her and the second overlapping starting 1/2" beyond the first. She then attacks with Salamander and gets her push trigger, pushing the enemy thru both pyres.

Alternately she could place the counters 1" away so that the push will have the enemy hit both of the markers.

Would this cause the enemy to take dg from both pyre markers?

Thanks

Took me a bit to get back on this thread, but I am happy to see my post sparked some interest.

On the Pyres, I am unclear if pushing someone across both pyres makes them take 2 checks. I imagine it would, as the pyres operate separately (interpreted because I can use the ability to move the pyres apart).

I think the better idea is a horrific burns push that pushes the target through one pyre and onto the second. That way the target is moving, and I think it is pretty clear they would take the damage twice.