Opinions on best beginner master

Johnny Sick

I would agree Seamus is a solid choice for a beginning resser, also big plus needs the least amount of models to play well out ressers.

Lure is also a great spell to learn to use. I think it is a very general ability that once you learn how to use it in its fullest you will have a better understanding of many other spells. That is how I felt after playing around with the lilitu.

He is my least favorite resser fluff wise so he will likely be one of the last masters I try.

I would agree Seamus is a solid choice for a beginning resser, also big plus needs the least amount of models to play well out ressers.

Lure is also a great spell to learn to use. I think it is a very general ability that once you learn how to use it in its fullest you will have a better understanding of many other spells. That is how I felt after playing around with the lilitu.

He is my least favorite resser fluff wise so he will likely be one of the last masters I try.

Stupid phone. Had a great response and I hit the wrong button.:(

To sum it up I will just say he is like the Joker to me. A psychopathic anti-hero you find yourself repulsed by and yet you want his story to unfold more. He is not as "off" as he appears and he has a plan that is one of the main points in the storyline.

Also Molly and Philip are turning into some of my favorite characters that seem to be there to show us what is underneath Seamus' madness and that even in death his 'puppets' are more independent than any of the other Ressers.

Quite a nice approach for the Fluff writers too go.

Edited by Murphy'sLawyer

Depends on if you feel people like Jack the Ripper, the Zodiac Killer, or Ted Bundy are anti-hero. Kinda scaring me Murphy :D

He is an integral part of the story and his jokeresque character is definitely interesting, but the hookers are a but much. Molly and Phillips I'm curious how they will grow. I still have half of book 3's fluff to go.

Depends on how you are defining "Hero". Although I do have to say I don't think of Seamus as an Anti-Hero. At least for me anti-hero is defined by someone who does the right, or heroic things, for all the wrong reasons.

Sure the mysterious stranger comes to town and kills all the thugs and murderers who had enslaved it, setting the populous free to decide it's own destiny. Did he do it because of the injustices perpetrated on the townsfolk, no. Did he do it because he needed to stop the gang's leader before his rule solidified and he spread his grip to other towns, no. Did he do it because he had come to know the townsfolk and they had cared for him once in his past and he was repaying an obligation he felt towards them, no.

His reason, he was once a member of the gang whose leader had betrayed and tried to murder him and he was seeking revenge. He helps the townsfolk because it serves his own selfish motivation and doesn't oppress the villagers himself because he has no motivation to. He would have no moral qualms about doing so, he just has no reason to.

Seamus is a psychotic mass-murdering madman who no rational person who ever had a choice would ever have any dealing with whatsoever.

Edited by Fetid Strumpet

Anti-Hero in the terms of things hinted in Book 3. He seems to know how to deal with tyrants and is actively fighting against them. His purpose is self centered of course but if he succeeds everyone benefits from his success. (Yes he kills anyone who crosses his path, but if he stops the tyrants from destroying both worlds the number of victims he has had will seem like nothing.) If he is trying to gain the power to become a tyrant himself, that is a different story. But he seems bent on another purpose that is yet to be revealed.

Is he a sick madman? Absolutely. But there is more to him than the storyline has exposed so far and I am interested to see where it goes.

(And no I do not find mass murders interesting. But this is a fantasy game and I am looking at him more like a Darth Vader than a Ted Bundy. He is bad, but he is looking to destroy something worse than himself.)

Edited by Murphy'sLawyer

Not sure about that though Murphy, he might want to save it from that particular Tyrant. If so he is only doing it because he wants to give it to something e.g., The Grave Spirit. I think the choice for every one else becomes a sort of zobmondo question like "Would you rather die by, A: buring or B: having your head sawn off?"

Not sure about that though Murphy, he might want to save it from that particular Tyrant. If so he is only doing it because he wants to give it to something e.g., The Grave Spirit. I think the choice for every one else becomes a sort of zobmondo question like "Would you rather die by, A: buring or B: having your head sawn off?"

*****!!! Spoiler!!!*****

But at the end of book 3 it is him who set the trap for the Grave Spirit and shown Sonnia how to stop her problem by the hints he left her all this time.

I think if you watch the dialog between Samuel, Philip and Seamus it becomes clear there is something bigger going on. And Philip is more knowledgeable and tricky than one might believe a head to be.

Edited by Murphy'sLawyer

Not to those he's murdered.

I see what you are saying and I applaud your morals and sense of humanity. I am not saying he should be celebrated as a hero, his crimes are horrendous, but his current goals seem to be the same as Rasputina's, Sonnia's, Lilith's, Zoriada's and anyone else who knows of the Tyrants. In fact the Governor seems to be the only one malevolent enough to want to become a Tyrant himself.

It is odd I know, but some evils are worse than others.

(Personally I thought Seamus lacked depth and character till Book 3 and I felt he was just another psychopathic madman for us to fight against. But if you read the storyline up to date something changed and now he is plotting something BIG. What it is we will find out later.)

It is odd I know, but some evils are worse than others.

The thing is most of the other Masters I think are driven to kill and to bad things to fight the Tyrants. I think Seamus would still be doing bad even if there were no Tyrants.

Its like teaming up with Hitler to fight Cthulhu. Just because hes the lesser of two evils doesn't mean hes on the side of good.

LOL. Ok guys, I promise I am not a neo-Nazi or an individual that likes death and mayhem. I actually hold MLK and Gandhi as my two favorite people in history. But I am looking at this story from a fantasy point of veiw.

The two worlds are faced with Armageddon brought by the Tyrants, and Seamus is one of the very few who knows how to stop them and seems crazy enough to jump in with both fists swinging. Do I think that makes him great? No. Will the rest be able to stop the Tyrants without his unwanted help? This is where I believe he may be pivotal in the war against the Tyrants.