Pine Box and castings...

mpangelu

Question

Pine box reads...

Bury target model. At the start closing phase, Target may make a wp -> wp duel with this model. Blah blah blah. Now to the part I am curious on. If this model is killed, or casts pine box again, place buried target within 1".

The way the RM reads it seems that you declare the spell spend the ap to cast and then check to see IG target is in range.

so my question is can I declare the cast of pine box on a model out of range and still fullfill the requirement for it to be cast so the person buries is released.

If you want it more in context here is my idea.

Lawyer gives lady j hard to wound and she cast some sort of sword style buff. Then she gets buried by the pine box death marshall.

Lucious reinforcements the death Marshall and then next turn he tries to line box some other model out of range. Would lady j then pop out as the spell doesn't require it to be successfuly cast.

9 answers to this question

Pine box reads...

Bury target model. At the start closing phase, Target may make a wp -> wp duel with this model. Blah blah blah. Now to the part I am curious on. If this model is killed, or casts pine box again, place buried target within 1".

The way the RM reads it seems that you declare the spell spend the ap to cast and then check to see IG target is in range.

so my question is can I declare the cast of pine box on a model out of range and still fullfill the requirement for it to be cast so the person buries is released.

If you want it more in context here is my idea.

Lawyer gives lady j hard to wound and she cast some sort of sword style buff. Then she gets buried by the pine box death marshall.

Lucious reinforcements the death Marshall and then next turn he tries to line box some other model out of range. Would lady j then pop out as the spell doesn't require it to be successfuly cast.

Lady Justice is a death marshal and cannot be targetted by the pine box spell.

But to answer your question, I do not think that trick would work, even if she wasn't a death marshal. I don't think the spell is cast if you do not have a legal target.

But I thought Obey (a once per Turn spell) was considered Cast even if the Casting failed?

Nope!

Page 53 of the Rules Manual:

F. Caster Determines Success.

• If the caster’s final Duel total (the casting total) is equal to or greater than the CC, includes at least one of each suit in the TN, and the caster has met any additional requirements for the Spell, the caster has won the Duel and has successfully cast the Spell. (Success)

• Otherwise, the caster has lost the Duel and the Spell is not cast. If the Spell can be cast a limited number of times, this attempt does not count toward that limit (Failure)

Hang on a second, is this a change from this and that thread? (I know it's old, hence maybe RM changed the concept and I missed it)

In the case of instinctual, two different (0) actions have to be performed. So far we played that if a silurid fails to cast leap for instance it is not allowed to try it again.

So a failed action still counts as having been performed (with regards to action limitations), but a failed spell doesn't count as having been performed (with regards to spell casting limitations)?

A failed cast Action is still an Action used. Thus you will lose the AP you used to cast the spell and a (0) spell counts for your (0) Actions. However, failed casts don't count towards casting limits so you can attempt Obey, Ice Pillars, Flame Wall, etc. again if you fail your first attempt.

If this wasn't the case and failed casts didn't count for Actions, models with a (0) Spell could just attempt the cast over and over until they succeed.

-Ropetus