A few questions

Question

Just started with Malifaux, lots of questions :)

1) if a spell has a resist, say Pere Ravage's "Oopsie!" which creates a 6" pulse of damage, a resist only maens the model takes less or no damage, right? The blast still occurred so long as the casting cost was met, right?

2) assuming 1 is right then with Francois LaCroix's "Gremlin Menace" spell, he'd move 5" towards the target irregardless of the resist result. The only affect of resisting the spell would be whether the target's attacks get a

:-fate.Right?

3) if Coppelius chooses to use Slumber on a gremlin, does that prevent the use of "Squeel!"? I can see this going either way. "Squeel!" says you have to be damaged by the attack, but on the other hand Coppelius did damage (by virtue of hitting), and then chose to forgo damage in favor of paralysis.

in return for help with these questions I give you one (1) lovable teddy:

:teddy

5 answers to this question

Ad 1)

It depends if the spell is targetted or not.

If the spell has initial target and the blast may come out of it as a result of high damage flip, then the Resist means the spells failed and the blast doesn't occur (because you don't flip for damage).

Pulses and Auras are among spells that do not have initial target - they first go off, and then all the models in range check if they resisted or not. In such a case spell does go off immediately and counts as succeeded. Models that Resist it avoid its effects, but that's it.

Ad 2)

I'm not sure, but I'd say if the damage is condition for the Squee! to go off, and the attacker foregos the damage, Squee! doesn't go off.

Edited by Q'iq'el

Ad 1)

It depends if the spell is targetted or not.

If the spell has initial target and the blast may come out of it as a result of high damage flip, then the Resist means the spells failed and the blast doesn't occur (because you don't flip for damage).

so in that case Francois LaCroix's Gremlin Menace would not move him 5" towards the target if the target resisted?

so in that case Francois LaCroix's Gremlin Menace would not move him 5" towards the target if the target resisted?

I think, he wouldn't. And I think you wouldn't discard Soulstones, Control Cards (not those used to cheat the total, obviously, but those stated as requirement in the spell's text), Body Counters or Blood Counters or whatever the spell requires you to discard, if the spell failed.

I think there was such a ruling about magic on the forum, but I can't find the link right now. There's a possibility I remember it wrong, so I suggest a double check and correct me if I'm mistaken.

But, if I'm not mistaken, a trigger can still go off from a failed spell.

If you cast the spell (meet the castign requirements) you then discard any relevent things. The target then gets its resist (if there is one). As long as one or more models fails the resist then the spell is cast and effects those that failed the resist. It won't effect the models that passed the resist.

So for pere the blast only occurs if one or more models failed to resist it. He has already paid the damage cost for the spell. Any triggers which trigger on a sucessful casting will not apply if the spell is resisted by everyone.

For the menace, the walk will only happen if the spell has not been resisted.