UK Malifaux Rankings are LIVE!

mythicFOX

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

do the people that opt out are they a lot lower than everyone else? or is it high ranking people also?

I personally not a competitive win at all cost type of gamer, BUT I would relish to have these rankings in the states for malifaux.

To my knowledge no one has opted out yet. I don't think it would be helpful to discuss where anyone that does choose to opt out sat in the rankings.

Ultimately if players don't want to be part of this that is a personal decision for them. As I have said I hope everyone gives it a chance, and either way I want everyone to enjoy their hobby in whatever form it takes.

In H/WM the people that have opted out are considered some of the best players in the game (taking most of the top ranking posititons before opting out).

By removing ourselves it has devalued the validity of the ranking system and made it more of a 'fun' thing.

Playing competitive H/WM for 2 years now at the top tables, people know who the good players are and who aren't - sometimes you don't have to put it infront of someone's face.

Craig knows me btw, so ask him for evidence ;)

Oh and my suggestion however was to make the opt out not universal on the site - so people could opt out of systems, not the whole site.

As malifaux rankings / whatever game comes next might be quite useful to have - if that makes sense.

I agree with rankings for systems that have confined rules (Chess, backgammon, PC Games, etc.) but when there is so much potential for exploitation in a tape measure system feels wierd.

Anyway, its not a thread to discuss the validity of rankings :)

In H/WM the people that have opted out are considered some of the best players in the game (taking most of the top ranking posititons before opting out).

By removing ourselves it has devalued the validity of the ranking system and made it more of a 'fun' thing.

Playing competitive H/WM for 2 years now at the top tables, people know who the good players are and who aren't - sometimes you don't have to put it infront of someone's face.

Craig knows me btw, so ask him for evidence ;)

An interesting approach, was it some fundamental disagreement with what Rankings HQ represents that made people pull out as I don't really see how some random website tracking how people have performed makes a difference to me.

I currently have a profile from my WFB tournaments which places me safely around 200th place so clearly up there with the big boys... I've got 4 results to my name 2 of which were with very unusual builds that I took for a laugh. Tracking my results doesn't make me suddenly want to use the 'cookie cutter' builds just to better my placing.

So I'm not sure why the top players felt the need to boycot something that only confirms what everyone already knew in that x,y and z are the better players in the country.

An interesting approach, was it some fundamental disagreement with what Rankings HQ represents that made people pull out as I don't really see how some random website tracking how people have performed makes a difference to me.

I currently have a profile from my WFB tournaments which places me safely around 200th place so clearly up there with the big boys... I've got 4 results to my name 2 of which were with very unusual builds that I took for a laugh. Tracking my results doesn't make me suddenly want to use the 'cookie cutter' builds just to better my placing.

So I'm not sure why the top players felt the need to boycot something that only confirms what everyone already knew in that x,y and z are the better players in the country.

The perception in the UK WM/H and WFB is that rankings made people more likely to play 'cheesy' lists and less likely to play for fun.

Personally I dont disagree with it for that reason. I think that a tournament is about winning so playing to win is completely fine, and if people want to play against non-cheese, then run tournaments where you ban things you dont like. Also, there is a fundamental fallacy at work in which people assume that competitive players arent interested in fun, which is ridiculous. If you want to play tournaments for 'fun' (ie - playing nonserious lists), take your fun lists and play and dont whine when you get beaten by a minmaxed list. The reason I disagree with it is simply that it's a terrible ranking system, mathematically, and that at arbitrary system shouldn't be used as the "unofficial official" ranking system of a game that could do so much better if it was managed by someone doing it properly.

Of course all of this theory only really holds true in a balanced game, which Malifaux isnt, so you can argue that all tournaments should be played for fun alone....

I would hope players would give rankings a chance and try a few events before choosing to opt out of a system they haven't really experienced yet.

I think this is very important, other systems or not. I've expressed a lot of concerns in the past (more so than most I think) but I will be going to Leeds and Northampton to see how or if it affects anything (I'll be playing competitive at Leeds and "fun" at Northampton). In the interests of the community as a whole I'd urge others to at least do the same before opting out blind.

Edited by magicpockets

I think this is very important, other systems or not. I've expressed a lot of concerns in the past (more so than most I think) but I will be going to Leeds and Northampton to see how or if it affects anything (I'll be playing competitive at Leeds and "fun" at Northampton). In the interests of the community as a whole I'd urge others to at least do the same before opting out blind.

To my knowledge Northampton is not a ranked tournament but I could be wrong.

Is there any chance we can get the proper outcast icon up there instead of a pulse?

Hands up that's my fault. There isn't an outcast suit and I couldn't see a version of the gun/rose thing that would shrink down to the right size and still be workable. So I picked :pulse as it looks like an O for outcast.

If someone can send me a black outcast symbol in a .png at the correct size & resolution I'll happily ask RHQ to change it over.

I would hope players would give rankings a chance and try a few events before choosing to opt out of a system they haven't really experienced yet.

That said anyone who wants to opt out can do so as follows; If they sign up to RHQ or are signed up already they can opt out in their profile settings. That lets them stay on RHQ for social networking etc. Alternatively they can opt out by contacting RHQ through the contact form on the site and ask to be opted out.

This is one of the things that annoys me about this.

It is not an opt-in system it's an opt-out.

I stated in the original debate thread that I wanted nothing to do with the rankings yet when I go and check the rankings to make sure I'm not there lo and behold there's my name.

Now I have to go and contact RHQ to get removed - we'll see how many hoops I have to jump through to 'prove' who I am - and all for something I didn't want or ask for in the first place.

Now I have to go and contact RHQ to get removed - we'll see how many hoops I have to jump through to 'prove' who I am - and all for something I didn't want or ask for in the first place.

A friend has been removed multiple times, but they put him back on every time he goes to an event. He's now been removed from the list of malifaux rankers and was annoyed at being listed again for attending an event held a while back.

The effects of rankings won't be seen overnight, but interesting that events (Northhampton?) are now classed as ranking where they were not before.

I.was gonna mention that earlier, about ignoring the site but I know the sort of replies that will come about.

And with all due respect fenrir, the TO has decided to agree to it being ranked, not James threatening him. The effects of rankings won't be seen overnight is true, but the apocalyptic view you hold of them most certainly won't ever happen.

Youve made your negative feelings known plenty, and I rarely get annoyed on forums, but I'm getting there.

With the friend being removed, take it up with rankingsHQ rather than James?

If you don't want to see where you are in the rankings could you not just never go to the site and just pretend they dont exist? will save you having to remove yourself from them :)

It's more a privacy and free choice issue.

I choose to play malifaux and other games.

I choose to engage on certain forums.

I choose not to use my real name as my forum name.

I was not given the choice to appear on someone's revenue generating website.

It's another piece of social engineering information available to people I don't know. "I was playing malifaux the other day with xxx and he said I should give you a call and ....".

So the choice then becomes 'you can play malifaux but if you don't want your name on RHQ's website you can't enter any UK tournaments'.

Or if TOs choose to run events in a way you don't like then the best solution is to run events the way you like them yourself. Make something positive happen in your gaming community.

How about you and Fenrir run an event down in London? I'll be happy to come along and bring some players to boost the numbers. It'll be fun.