Typo in rulebook under "Third: Additional Options"?

scubadawg91

I'm reading and reviewing the rule book. On page 14, under Playing Puppet Wars (Turns), there's the Third: Additional Options section. Is Option 1 correct? If it is, it means that a puppet on the board can only move or perform free actions, but attacking is not a free action. Is this a typo? Likewise, this would prevent claiming a bench....

I'm reading and reviewing the rule book. On page 14, under Playing Puppet Wars (Turns), there's the Third: Additional Options section. Is Option 1 correct? If it is, it means that a puppet on the board can only move or perform free actions, but attacking is not a free action. Is this a typo? Likewise, this would prevent claiming a bench....

It's a minor wording thing you need to remember. It's Free Actions, as in a capital F and a capital A. It's referring to the things with the lightning bolt symbols. So, the third option lets you do a Free Action, which would be different from a free Action. Does that make more sense?

I know it took a bit of fancy instruction to people while I was demoing the game this weekend to help them understand the difference.

Special puppet powers excluded, that means that a puppet that was animated on a previous round or turn can only (p20 in the rulebook) do the following: Scrounge (lightning bolt), Sticky Fingers (lightning bolt) and What Pretty Buttons You Have... (lightning bolt). Attack, Mine!, and Run are not Free Actions.

So, if I'm following correctly, I cannot Attack with a puppet unless I just animated it. Also, I can't use the Mine! unless I just animated. If this is true, it looks like almost all the setups have benches 3 spaces apart. So if I animate a puppet, move 2 spaces, then on 2 consecutive turns move onto a bench, I can't do a Mine! and claim the space because it isn't a Free Action. That seems counter to everything else I've read in the rulebook, hence, I think it is a misprint.

You can animate a puppet more then once in a turn. It will take a rip if its exhausted but you can do it.

Also I think you are confused about when exhaustion goes away. It goes away at the end of each turn.

So if you didn't want to take the damage you could activate a puppet and move two spots. Then activate or do other things for the other 4 rounds. Then the next turn you could activate that puppet again and move them 2 more and then do Mine!

Edited by nilus

It's a minor wording thing you need to remember.

It's like the difference between an "action" - a (1) action or a Strike action, for example - and an "Action" - a Talent that's neither a (passive) Ability nor a Trigger - in Malifaux. I find that one trips up the newbies on occasion.

Well, the other way to think about it is if you're familiar with regular Malifaux, the lightning bolt Free Actions are like Malifaux (0) Actions. So, when you're doing an Animation Round, and you have a card in play, but can't (or don't want to) do a full animation of a puppet, you can simply discard that card to do a Free Action (i.e. (0) Action) with any Puppet that's already in play.

Actions like Attacks, Mine!, etc. aren't SUPPOSED to be super easy. And some of the maps are intentionally set up so that it takes you two turns to move a model close enough to grab the new workbench. Something else to remember, is that the puppets can always take a Run action, to move an extra space. So that might be enough to have your puppet end their animation standing right on a neutral workbench. Then next turn when you can animate that puppet again, you can do Mine! right away. Also, if you're standing on the workbench, even if it's still neutral, it at least keeps your opponent from stealing it in the meantime. ;)

You can also attach the Guild Hounds teeth to something nasty and then attack as a Free Action. Discarding the Activation Card and taking a Free Action does not cause a rip if your exhausted. Can you imagine a Uber Teddy of doom able to attack 5 times a turn....

Lots of others have the right understandings. Here are a series of facts to try and help with any outlying confusion.

-Only Masters start on the board, every other puppet starts in the Toy Box.

-Animating means selecting a puppet and having it do stuff. You may animate a puppet that is in play or in your Toy Box.

-To bring a puppet into play from your Toy Box you must place it on an unoccupied friendly workbench. The exception to this rule is that you can place a puppet adjacent to a friendly workbench occupied by a Master, but as Nilus said it does cost 1 move.

-when puppets become animated, they become exhausted. Animating an exhausted puppet causes the puppet to suffer 1 rip.

-As an alternative to animating a puppet, you have a few options:

-You may take the card into your hand

-You may perform either a free action (lightning bolt) on 1 puppet, this can be either a general free action (Scrounge, etc.) or one printed on the card. Use the animation card to determine your initiative (the card is discarded as usual)

-You may move 1 puppet 1 space. Use the animation card to determine your initiative (the card is discarded as usual)

Hope that helps.