How complex is Puppet Wars?

Koschai

Here's the deal. I've not yet had the chance to play Puppet Wars but I love the concept. I'm a big Malifaux fan and assume that I will really enjoy the game. However I have one fear...

If Puppet Wars is a board game and I'm looking to play with non Malifaux players it's going to have to stand up outside of the wargame arena. How complicated is it?

Can I sit down with some non wargamer (or at least non Malifaux players) and explain the rules quickly because if not I may have difficulty keeping thier attention. To much comittment requirements and its unlikely to take off in our group as we all already have half a dozen wargames apiece that we play!

In other words is it a board game (in a gamer sense, I'm comparing to Fantasy Flight games not Monopoly!) or a miniature wargame on a board? Particularly the list building aspect gives me pause for concern...

Can anyone put my mind at rest?

Ratty put it very well and shorter then I am about to XD

The core rules are not that complex, the complexity comes from list building and it's whatever you want to make it. We've set the game up where you can simply do a draft and play, use preset lists, or spend time tweaking each aspect of your Toybox.

Doing demo's all con long, I can comfortably say that after a walk through of 2 or 3 Animation Rounds I was able to step back and just watch people play. They had a few questions from there, but everyone was able to just keep rolling with it. So I feel confident in saying a non wargamer could easily be taught this game and get rolling with it very easily. I had many people (who I had demo'ed for) come back to me bringing friends and spouses who had been told about the game and wanted to see it. Everyone was able to pick it up quickly and just keep right on rolling with it.

So I think it sounds like what you are looking for. It stands up very well out of the war gamer arena from what I've seen first hand with people. Hopefully that helps.

Edited by karn987

My Puppet War purcahses can't come soon enough :D

This was a big concern in playtesting, but I'm confident that Puppet Wars is far more accessible game than the likes of Malifaux.

The important thing to remember is that you can't dive straight into a full game, especiially when introducing non-gamers. Start by having a 3-4 puppet scrap without upgrades, then build from there. Go through small games first and keep things tight, I'm sure your friends would rather get into a quick brutal scrap than have to move from one board to the next before getting into combat.

The game is easy and simple enough at its core, but as you mentioned it's greatest complexity is in its options. Because of the mindboggling number of combinations, keep it simple and restrict it to the starter box at first or at least 1 of each puppet.

Also if you are more confident in wargaming then it really helps that you know the rules well so that they see you second guessing yourself less. It's not your fault if you forget anything (I made a lot of big mistakes at first), but if you're trying to win over non-gamers it helps to have that confidence.

But if my mum can grasp it then you and your friends should be fine.

Hope that helped =]

One of the things that makes learning this game easily is in the Pattern Book, which comes in every box of P-Wars. Inside are step-by-step instructions for your first 5 games of P-Wars, where they start with the basics and over the course of the games teach you all of the aspects of playing the game. This way you don't feel overwhelmed at the beginning, and by the end you're playing a full game of P-Wars. Its a great addition to the box and should help a lot of people who are in your shoes, or trying to teach the game to people who might not be experienced wargamers.