The Ball - Roleplay Thread

Doctor Amos

The soft scent of smoking tobbacco and something less perseptable and more pervasive filled the large walnut-paneled foyer. A sweeping staircase led to the upper rooms, charming six-paneled doors closed to the guests. The two adjoining rooms, however, were open. One was a sitting room, although the large overstuffed furnature had been set aside. In its place, the ruddy carpet seemed to be of an almost comical thickness. The band, a meagre four piece, had set up in the corner here. They bore golden masks of large-billed birds with the clothes of couriers, and played an almost unbearably banal minuette. The other open room, opposite, was a small yet stately dining room. A modest spread was arrayed, featured tinned fish, various roasts and casaroles, and a large bowl of freshly-made punch.

And now, the guests arrive.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doctor Amos was a caretbagger briefly back in the states, and then had turned to the life of travelling tonic salesman in the frontier west. In time, he had come into Malifaux as a natural extension of his trade and there made a reasonable fortune. It had also begun to slowly cost him bits of himself, and he bore the scars ofr both a man who traveled long in the out-country and one who had set more than one town to form an angry mob.

Tonight, however, he was done up in what genteel finery he could muster. Such an invitation could not be ignored, especially where one might ply one's trade in a setting of men of means. Still, a salesman's best suit made him look only shabby and ill-kempt compared to the grandeaur of the place. His mask bore the bright colours of a ceremonial hopi mask.

After allowing the gentleman in front of him to enter, Mr Iam Wyrd followed in tow behind him. Looking back and forth, Iam didn't really notice to many other people besides the man who entered before him.

Thinking back to why He came to malifaux he began to muster his options.

Mr. Wyrd was back in the states embalming another cadaver that was just recently entered into his morgue. Oh how the dead fascinated Mr. Wyrd, so much that his whole life has been studying the dead, voodoo, witch doctoring. Anything that could lead him to his one true wish, the power to raise and command the undead. After many failed attempts to raise the dead, and many mutilated cadavers, his patience has become thin.

After searching And searching And searching for ways to raise the dead he overheard some wonderful news. A breach in time and space itself has open And revealed a whole different world, a magical world. A world called, malifaux. In this world magic is drawn from the dead and kept in stones called soulstones. This peeked Mr. Wyrds interest, harvesting the dead. Maybe he could use these "soulstones" and the souls within to imbue a corpse to reanimate. This could be his chance, a chance to raise the dead. He could not pass this up, and to his surprise they were already building a train specifically made to traveling into the breach and back. Everything was going to plan, he was then approached by an elderly man with a mechanical leg. The man placed his hand on Mr. Wyrds shoulder and whispered, "I've been watching you and know what you seek, meet me in the ballroom in Malifaux."

Malifaux, is that what the other world is called? How did this old man know so much about it, and why was he watching me. I don't care, he can help me with what I want, its time to go to malifaux.

After standing their looking cluelessly his surrounding came back to him and he donned his mask as the invite stated. His mask was a white ivory mask one half happy one half sad. He then began to hear music coming from onther room, then he started to smell the food. Then he became hungry and walked over to the room with the food and grabbed a plate and sat at a table and began to eat.

Edited by Iamwyrd

Mr Charles le Monkey made his way through the doors. The other guests turned to see him enter and no doubt wondered what the slightly dishevelled new arrival was doing in a place of such granduer and finery.

Mr Le Monkey was a short man, in his late forties, with tousled black hair. He had ensured that, in accordance with his invite for the evening, he had brought with him a Viennese style mask, but this hung by his side as he wandered the room.

He initially took a position standing in front of the band and let a lop sided smile emerge from his lips. It was not his style of music, he preferred jazz. In truth, he did not enjoy what he was hearing, he could only assume it was music for people with finer tastes. He turned and observed the two other guests present. Seeing one of them through an adjacent doorway tucking into a plate of food, he made his way slowly to the buffet table and was quickly disappointed to note that no chilli was on the menu, although they did have crackers.

He hoped the one who invited him would arrive soon. After all, his wife's sister was at his house now visiting and he had promised that he would not be out too long.

Edited by Chucklemonkey

Absolution Black took a deep breath and entered the room, his partner Lydia in tow. He still limped slightly due to recent events and this Ball was his first foray back out into the city. He had been intrigued to find he had received an invite as generally he never even had so much as a sniff of attending such a function.

Both curious to discover who had sent the invite, and also eager to put his past life behind him, Black had hired the finest suit he could and purchased a stunning Ballgown for Lydia. He had looked at himself in the full length mirror in the hallway and smiled, a far cry from the assassin and mercenary most people would know him as.

His suit was of course the deepest black and his mask was the colour of the night. He had a days stubble over his lower face, as he refused to go anywhere clean shaven. Lydia was resplendent in her Emerald green dress, a slit cut daringly high up the thigh. Her pure white hair cascaded onto her shoulders, and she wore a mask of scarlet red that hid the true nature of her eyes......

Seeing no-one he recognised, Black guided Lydia over to the refreshments, picking up two glasses of what appeared to be champagne, and waited...

"Champagne, sir?!" a shrill, squeaky voice called out. The voice managed to pierce the assembled chatter of the increasingly busy hall like nails on a chalkboard. Try as you might, the liklihood is that you would struggle to find the source of the voice. Its owner was definitely present (anyone nearby who would be able to smell the creature would atest to that) but his stout stature allowed him to hide under the cloth draped punch table.

Lifting up the cloth, Dumb Luck (for that was his nickname, the creature was so irritating that nobody stayed put long enough to find out his birthname) looked out of place. Who in their right mind would allow a Gremlin into the rooms of high society? The person running the party had a sense of humour or a slight touch of Breach Psychosis. Dumb Luck was the head butler and had been with the family of the house for two years now, making him nearly an adult in Gremlin years. The family had the misfortune to be riding a horse drawn carriage through the Bayou one day when Dumb Luck spotted them. Entranced by the beauty of their transport, he proceeded to follow them to their destination and all the way back home again. Upon realising that they weren't going to get rid of the thing, the family took him on as a pet/butler.

The only mask he wore was a look of near permant look of glee. Although he had managed to cobble together a tatty looking tux out of the neighbour children's toys for the occassion. Puffing his chest out, the Gremlin waddled through the legs of Absolution Black whilst humming a merry tune to himself.

After a long moment of biting his lip and tugging at his own jacket, curiosity got the better of the doctor and he approached the gremlin.

"Sir, forgive my impertanance, but I have a question that I simply must ask of you. I am fascinated by this land and your people. I seek a remedy for toothaches stronger than the whiskey available here. In the states, I could procure leaves of the coca plant, which the natives chew. Your people must have some similar plant on this side of the breech, given the condition of your people's teeth, no offense. What plants do you chew upon to alleviate pain?"

While eating, a few more guests arrived. Also while eating a thing of nightmare came woddling out from the kitchen. A small green creature, something that was told to children to scare them. He spilled his plate of food in his moment of astonishment, quickly reaching for his concealed dagger in his sleeve. But then the first guest approached the creature and began to chat with it. Mr. Wyrd astonished that Tue creature didn't attack the man, he cautiously walked over to the creature and the first guest, finger on his dagger release on his sleeve, just in case.

After coming up to the two talking, he waited for a moment of pause to say, "ex...excuse...cuse me, I've only been here in malifaux for a few hours and it has seemed normal until I seen you, so sorry if this seems rude but, what in the hell are you?" Talking to the small green creature.

To say Black was astonished at the appearance of the gremlin was an understatement. He had thought most city dwellers had classed them as vermin, to be wiped from existence. Either this little fella was something special or the people he worked for held some power. He had a feeling, after observing the gremlin, that it was the latter.

He turned to Lydia and smiled. This was promising to be an entertaining evening after all, if only someone would stop that band from murdering the classics. Lydia sipped delicately from her flute, savouring the taste of the expensive liquid. Black however downed the glassful in one go, pulled a face and placed the empty glass on the table.

He spied the nervous looking short man picking his way through the hors d'ouvres at the buffet table and decided to initiate a conversation. Pulling alongside the man, black leaned in and reached for a succulaent looking leg of chicken....well, he hoped it was chicken.

"Excuse me sir" he said, smiling. "I don't believe we have met before. Absolution Black, and this is my date, Lydia. You could say i am in the 'disposal' business. How about you?"

The fire glowing in the hearth coughed and sputtered for a moment, a large cloud of black smoke puffing up the chimney. As the air clears about the fire a tall broad man is left standing in front of it. He wore a long coat that hung down to his ankles with it's tall collar covering his pointed ears. His hair was hung down to the mid of his back, shimmering silver in the fires light. His exposed hands and feet showed wicked looking claws before bandages and straps of leather wound their way up his limbs before vanishing into his coat or his ragged looking pants.

He shook his head a bit, tiny bits of soot freeing themselves from his hair to float down to the ground. Stepping forward the coat sways to reveal his bare chest adorned with swirling tattoos and unearthly marks of the Neverborn. His stern gaze turns to one of delight as he spies the others, a grin forming on his lips reveals the tips of his fangs. His eyes, black as night with white irises, turn over the faces as he tries to remember their names.

Licking his lips he realizes he had hadn't known to bring a mask... or even if he was really invited. The messenger... or whom he assumed was a messenger, had been carrying a letter of invite. Since he was passing down one of Karn's streets he only had but one choice, and that was to assume the message was for him. After-all, why else would a human come down into his streets?

"Blast it all. I seem to have forgotten to bring a mask... "

He smirks only slightly, looking around hoping for the reaction of fear or disgust at the sight him that he had come to enjoy.

Edited by karn987

(After dumb luck replies and describes himself)

After a short but to the point conversation with what people called a gremlin, Mr. Wyrd was relieved to know he wasn't in any danger. Well at least not yet, when he heard a voice say something about a mask, he turned to see a true thing of nightmare. A man like creature with pointy ears, and claws that looked razor sharp. This was becoming too much for Mr. Wyrd, he couldn't take all these things without more of an explanation, he needed some air. Mr. Wyrd shuffled his way past the new creature and headed to the main hall to step outside for some air.

'Tuesday' Trujillo made her way through the main doors, stepping off to one side to clear the doorway while she thought of what to do next. Balls weren't something she normally went to, but on this occasion she thought it might be fun to step out, kick a brass heel up. Her job at the Star made its influences clear over her outfit, work clothes from the waist up but with the front of her long skirt tied up into a knee-length sort of fringed curtain to show off the finely etched brass prosthetic legs that were probably her most distinguishing feature. She walked expertly on them by now, only thrown off when one of the clockwork mechanisms wound down and she had to twist the small key sticking out of the affected calf to get things moving again.

She glanced over her shoulder, frowning once she noticed something wasn't there that should be, and lifted her blank oval mask, going back to the door and poking her head out. "Hey! 'Link', Corduroy!"

Outside, a human-shaped construct looked up from where it was examining one of the flowerbeds by the walk, then straightened up and ran toward her, moving rather stiffly. It was wearing a fancier ballgown, but standing next to the human who'd brought it their outfits matched at least in color and fabric choice.

Once it arrived Tuesday pulled it to one side and adjusted the paper-mache mask over its blank linen face (displaying a typical lady's features, in contrast to her own mask), licking her finger and using it to rub off a smudge of dirt on the nose. "Alright, now remember what we said. You've got your notepad and pencil, explore but don't get into trouble, and if anything happens I'll be in linking distance." She adjusted the Mannequin's dress briefly, fixing a piece of trim that had flipped up on the sleeve, then patted its shoulder. "Go on, have fun." Corduroy nodded, then began to wander away, making a beeline for the spread in the next room.

Tuesday smiled. This wasn't, strictly speaking, allowed according to Star rules, but wasn't this supposed to be a (hopefully) peaceful cross-faction gathering anyway? (At least, looking around she had to assume that.) And if everything went well, Miss Du Bois never even had to know. In the end it was all worth it to see a happy Mannequin. She left her mask on top of her head, lingering by the wall for a while and taking in the surroundings.

Making his way to the door, it was opened by a women, she kinda looked like a lady of the night, but way more well dressed. The only reason he thought this way was she was wearing somewhat revealing clothes, but not too revealing. He nodded at her as she entered giving the polite after you hand gesture. But before she entered she called out the door to someone who came running up next to her holding a pen and pad of paper. After a short discussion with her friend, her friend tore off into another room.

Mr. Wyrd stepped outside to get some air, and gathered in his surroundings. It looked like a normal town, street lamps lining the streets, nicely lain cobblestone roads disappear into the night. This place isn't all that bad, but what inhabits this world is something.....different, and Mr. Wyrd could get used to this, this is what he dreamed of. A world with monsters and humans corresponding together......or so he thought. And with that final thought he heard a blood curdling scream come from a few alleys away, followed by the sound of a gunshot. Thinking to himself only armed with a dagger, he turned heel and ran back into the hall.

Breathless he yelled, " I believe someone was just murdered just down the street. I heard a scream and a gunshot, we must inform the authorities!!!"

Tuesday jumped at the shout, eyes widening a bit at the man's panic. She didn't seem too upset by the news, but Cordoroy raced back over at the first sign of danger, a petit-four crushed in its suddenly-clenched metal fist. The human didn't notice at first, putting a hand on her construct's shoulder as if calming it and looking back to the person who'd shouted.

"The authorities'll know," she said, stepping away from the door and motioning him to do so as well. "Just stay inside. If it's a regular murderer, they've already taken off. If it's Ressers or 'born, there's not a whole lot you can do anyway."

It was at this point she noticed the clumps of cake dropping onto the floor under her Mannequin's hand, and gave a quiet sigh, tutting disapprovingly as she dug a handkerchief out of her pocket and started to clean it up. "No, dear, you needed a plate. Plate. Next time, right?" The Mannequin nodded, turning to look at the man next to them while Tuesday dug some stubborn icing out of its joints.

"I'm late again!" Hayzel cursed to herself as she had to stop by the front door so she could put on her porcelain mask. She looked at her blood-red silk dress as it flowed to the floor, illuminating her milky white skin and made sure the corset was done up sufficiently. Nodding at the young man at the front door, she made her way into the ball, her raven ringlets flowed freely covering the edges of the mask.

Immediately she noticed the fearsome looking fellow near the fireplace and she sighed. Thank goodness her dear friend was here, but what was he doing without his mask?! Tutting to herself she pulled out another mask she had in her bag that she had reserved for just this sort of occasion and glided over to him, laughing as she went. She handed him the mask and with a look of such contempt he placed it on, and brought her a drink.

She let her eyes wander the room, whilst in light conversation with Karn, and noticed Mr Black and Lydia. Her face lit up and she made a dash towards them hugging Lydia and giving Black a light peck on the cheek.

"So wonderful to see you! Lydia its been some time! I hope Black has been looking after you, or should I say the other way round?!" she giggled.

Hayzel excused herself and went to meet the other guests, smiling broadly at Tuesday, such an honour to see her here, Hayzel thought to herself.

She waved at Mr Le Monkey, and patted her bag, giggling to herself as she remembered that she knew where his hat was.

She saw the little gremlin, and danced over to him and asked his name.

"Dumb Luck" he squeaked.

"Excuse me?!" Came her confused reply.

"My name is Dumb Luck"

"Oh! My apologies! what a curious name. And what will you be having to drink?" she asked. But without an answer she got him a glass of whiskey and excused herself. What a delightful creature! She had never seen a gremlin before and couldn't stop but question if they were part of her realm. But her attention span wavered and soon she saw the Doctor.

Grabbing his hands she pulled him to the centre of the floor and made him dance with her, and she chatted away as if he had never left.

Then she heard all the commotion. She flew over the the front door and wondered what was happening.

"Murder you say?" She asked the man and Tuesday.

Edited by xxXhayzelXxx

"Murder you say?"

The newest member asked. "Yes, well I think so? I have only been here in malifaux for just under 5 hours now, and have already rain in so much my mind is in a web. When I was outside for a breath of air, I heard a scream, then a gunshot." Do we stay here until someone says its safe outside? Also what's this about ressers?"

"Murder you say?"

The newest member asked. "Yes, well I think so? I have only been here in malifaux for just under 5 hours now, and have already rain in so much my mind is in a web. When I was outside for a breath of air, I heard a scream, then a gunshot." Do we stay here until someone says its safe outside? Also what's this about ressers?"

"Dearest Sir, this talk about ressers is just to scare people. They are harmless compared to what else is out there. I don't believe we have been introduced. I am Hayzel. I am the Neverborn Princess, don't be alarmed, I don't bite. But my minions may." She chuckled to herself. She took the strangers arm and patted it.

"Come, it will be safe. Lets go have a look-see shall we?" She hands him a flask that smelled strongly of alcohol.

"You're gunna need your wits about you, so i suggest clearing away those webs in your head with a little swig of this."

"Ohh, that explains it," Tuesday said, nodding once the man explained that he was a new arrival. She could remember herself being quite startled once she realized she was in Malifaux-- not off of the train, but rather the operating table. She finished cleaning up the Mannequin and shook out the handkerchief, tucking it into a pocket on her belt. "Don't fret, sir. I can't imagine this gathering becoming a target." She could, actually, but thought it was a nice thing to say otherwise.

She looked over to the lady who'd walked up, smiling a bit. "Yes, apparently someone just got shot. I just hope it wasn't one of the guests." The lady was actually vaguely familiar-- as she introduced herself Tuesday remembered hearing of her before. It made her a bit wary being so close, so as she suggested investigating the murder with the man Tuesday stepped back, not about to get in their way if they wanted to run around outside. She tapped Corduroy on the shoulder and the Mannequin wandered off again, walking stiffly back to the other room's table to continue examining the spread.

Edited by Tuesday

Mr. Wyrd grabbed the flask and took a small swig, "wooh, this is strong stuff. Are you sure its safe to go out there, I feel that someone being murdered is something that I would want to stray away from?"

But in reality he would love to examine the body, this is what he does, its his livelyhood. Now if he only had one of those "soulstones", he could really begin to experiment.

"You know princess, lets go check it out" Mr. Wyrd said with large grin on his face.

"But before we tally forth, I was wondering, what are these soulstones I heard of before coming through the breach? Is it true they capture the souls of the departing and they fuel magical powers hidden away in people? Also where does in come by these, they sound fascinating and I could really use one or two for my research?"

Edited by Iamwyrd

Watching Tuesday back away a little, confused her a trifle, but with the mention of soulstones, Hayzel gave Mr Wyrd a very puzzled look. Why is he asking about soulstones she wondered to herself. Huh, those measly things she had in the treasure chest load back home. Funny he would be so interested in those little things. Sure they were pretty, but why on Malifaux would he want one? Didn't he just use his powers like she did? Although he clearly wasn't Neverborn, so she decided, he must need them like her Doctor taught her.

"Soulstones? Sure, here you go" She opened her black, beaded little bag with the scarlet red silk lining and pulled out a soulstone she had been playing with earlier.

Of course it was empty, she had used it to help look after the nephilims that had been badly hurt by those horrid Guild. Maybe she could learn something from this inquisitive man.

"Gunshot you say Tuesday? I'm thinking it was the Guild. You know how trigger happy they are." She sighed a little, itching to go have a look at the dead body herself. She did need some blood to store away for future needs. Oh and the fact that she was desperate for a kill didn't help.

Amos's nose twitched involuntarily. Something was afoot, the exchange of powers and favours. Mustering the charm and wit of a sophisticated flimflamer, he pulled up behind the two women and grinned his grinniest grin.

"Madams." He began, sweeping his hat back with flourish and apalmb. "May I punch your cards?"

Mr. Wyrd grabbed the stone from the princess and stared deeply into it. To him it looked like just an ordinary stone, nothing special. It had a very light purple hue to it. But other than that it looked just like a see through stone, or amethyst.

"Thank you princess, that was very generous of you. I wish I had something to give to you in return. But as I just got here, I've have still not found a job or a place to stay. But lets go check out the body, maybe you can figure out what killed them as you seem to know the surroundings."

Mr. Wyrd made his way out the door only to get pushed back in by a man with a long grey coat and some very thin armor covering his chest.

"Halt citizen, no one is allowed outside until the mess is cleaned up." The man said, Mr. Wyrd replied, "may I ask what happened here sir?" The man replied, "under the governor generals orders that information is classified, stay in doors until the guard allow you out."

Intrigued by all the commotion, Mr. Wyrd decided to try and find a back exit.

"Princess, would you like to accompany me in trying to find a back exit, I must see what happened, it is my livelihood?"

Quietly slipping into the party is a tall man with a shaved head. Perched upon his nose are a pair of lenses wrought with copper frames. He is smartly dressed in pressed pants with a frilled, blue button up shirt visible underneath his long black coat. His dark boots make nary a sound as he enters the foyer and looks around. "Greetings all, hmmn, I see the usual suspects are in attendance this evening?"

Looking closely it is obvious that many things are in the coat pockets of this large gentleman and it appears that something had recently pushed against his coat, over the left side of his chest, rather forcefully. In fact, there was a hint of smoke about the dent. It almost looks as if a bullet had struck, but not penetrated...

"Dreadful night, terrible night for disrespectable people to be out, who know who they might run into" with a wink and a slight bow to Hayzel. "Could use a nip of something to ward off the chill."

Dumb Luck was just a piglet's whisker taller than a young Gremlin. To get to the creature's eye level, one would have to kneel down and then some. Like all Gremlins, the runt imitated what he saw and this carried onto his dress sense. Having spent some time around the upper classes of Malifaux, Dumb Luck attempted (and failed) to dress like a stately gentleman. His tux was a patchwork of various curtains and materials. Despite not having much hair on his head (as Gremlins are inclined to have), his head gleamed with the amount of wax he had applied. To top this all off, Dumb Luck spoke with a jilted, British accent sounding more like an impression of a British accent than anything else.

"Well sir" he began, pondering Amos' questions, "I ain't the foggest what im-pert-ance is but we don't chew nuffin' when ours teef hurts. We finds the guy who made it hurt in the first place and show him what for!" To illistrate his point, the Gremlin punched the air with his free fist causing his tray of drinks to wobble. One of the other guests didn't seem as friendly though. Dumb Luck bit down on his lip, fighting back the urge to beat the guy who was reaching for a dagger.

But no! He was better than that! No barbarian was he! He was a gentleman and should act as such. "I am a Gremlin, sir" he informed Mr Wyrd, "I have been taken in by your hosts to serve and learn how to become a proper gentleperson and the like. Sir." Doffing an invisible hat to Mr Wyrd, the creature pottered further into the crowd.

The sudden, clumsy movement of the automatron made Dumb Luck stand to attention. He scuttled over to the area and gazed down at the food on the floor, a single tear coming down his face. No wonder it made a mess - this humie had no face! After staring at the Mannequin for a moment, the Gremlin whipped out a brush and started to brush up the mess. Truth be told, all he ended up doing as grinding it further into the carepet.