Prepping for a Tournament

pgbsamurai

So I am getting ready for some Malifaux tournaments at Gencon in a few weeks. I'm going to be playing Neverborn with Lilith and the Dreamer as my two primary masters.

These will be my first Malifaux tournaments and I am not sure what kind of crews to expect to go up against. In my area, most people play ressers or neverborn. I am used to going up against most of the ressers masters, but what masters from other factions. Which masters tend to have stronger showings at tournaments?

I have read Karn's excellent tactica's and have been reading up on other factions, but just wanted to some feed back so I know what to expect and who to study up on.

I have a feeling you may see alot of different crews.

Hamelin

Colette

Kirai

Pandora

Rasputina

Lilith

Chompy/Dreamer

Levi

Maybe even Ophelia because she did real good last year. And now the slop haulers are out now so who knows.

These are just some guesses, but anything could show. Also I have a feeling some people will be bringing masters who are getting avatars because th2y will be legal if they are painted. So any of them as well. :)

At tournaments I've been to I've seen lots of lady J, some perdita, no sonnia or hoffman really. Lots of kirai, seamus, some mcm and nicodem. Good deal of colette and raspy, tiny bit of ramos, no marcus. Equal amounts of pandora lilith and lcb, less Z. And for outcast a ton of viks, some gremlins, some hamelin, barely any levi.

I generally have the same rules for prepping for any tourney

-remember to check all the necessary models,tokens,books,etc that you need the night before.

-bring an extra water bottle or two.. never know when you will get thirsty.

-remember all of you own rules, if you are going to pull off somethinbg questionable ask the TO/judge in advance so you don't waste time and or make useless moves.

-don't eat a big breakfast a fruit or two will have you energetic without making unecessary bathroom breaks mid game.

-do some research on how other armies work so you will not be taken be surprise.

-study the mission and keep objectives in mind. Especially in malifaux where it is possible to get tabled and still win/tie.

-go with the expectations of playing a few rounds of a game you enjoy playing, don't be a win at all costs types. Even if you are playing a "competitive" list it doesn't mean you have to be a prick.