Killjoy In a Bowler Hat

Sholto

The hat was the easy part! The base was quite time-consuming. I wanted to use Killjoy with Colette, so since all my Colette crew are based on wooden bases, I thought I would have Killjoy bursting out of one, lit by fires from below.

I started with a 50mm metal lava base insert from Black Cat. To level off the slate, I added some greenstuff (actually Apoxy Sculpt) and then cut out some floorboards to go on top. I then added some tentacles, because why the heck not? :)

Killjoy_1.jpg

He is not pinned to the base yet. I will paint him separately. The cracks in the wooden floor will be a source of light, and I want to try some serious OSL on Mr Joy's nether regions.

Interesting fact: Mr Joy is stitched up in the joy department!

The thread title is gold, had to look ;) such a simple conversion (base excluded! ) but so hilarious, what's your fluff idea, killjoy is a horrible monster who was once a man who wore a bowler hat or killjoy is a horrible monster who found a bowler hat and went 'ooh that goes great with my cleaver' ?

@thatnicguy - Since I will be using Killjoy with Colette, the idea is that he has to step up his game when working with such fabulously-dressed ladies, so he sticks on his bowler hat to, err, fit in ;) He has also learned a few show tunes, and the Coryphee are teaching him to stand en pointe.

I have never done OSL on anything like this scale before. I wanted a reference image or two to work from. I cut a hole the size of Killjoy's base in a cardboard box, put a light on one side, and Killjoy on the other. Viola - reference images :)

The view from the lamp side:

Killjoy_2b.jpg

And the actual reference images I will use:

Killjoy_2cc.jpg

Killjoy_2aa.jpg

When I am painting the glow from the fires, I will need to try and paint only the parts that are illuminated here. Note the shadows on the lower parts of his shins - I would not have thought about that without these pics to work from.

Edited by Sholto