Mako's Crew(s)

Mako

Sorry guys, just checked it - the knees are in fact a couple of mm high! The crotch is below anatomical measure (tho I haven't filed any of it back so yes, it's still a bit bulky *grin*)

But what makes it look odd i think is that the waist is visually very high, it's the design of the trousers. The waistcoat in fact meets the trousers around the navel, not on the hips. The actual position of his knees will become more obvious with luck as I refine the shape, but the knee itself is at the top of the curved front at the bottom of the trousers. They just haven't been turned into straighter tighter folds yet.

If you want the maths, the head is 40.67mm long so the knee should be 81.3mm off the floor. Add 5 for his heels to give 86.3, and the bottom of each knee sits at 90mm (well, one is 92). The position will get closer and become more obvious as I refine it, I keep the calipers to hand when I'm doing it.

Yeah, it's the worst thing with photos of sculpts, they're so hard to get everything looking spot on to how it does in reality. That's not to say the legs are perfect, the shapes need a lot of work still! But the odds and ends are in the right places.

I'm going to take some time to get the legs finessed properly before moving on, just to be sure they're exactly what they should be. Who knows, maybe the next thing I put up will be some guild painting!

Well, the malifaux painting is slow at the moment while I force myself to clean and prep the guild crew I have lying about so I can paint them. I'm also doing a piece for a challenge over on another forum, which looks like this so far:

statuesquebasepartial_zps160efee2.jpg

So my crews will progress somewhat sedately for the next few weeks!

THey're wires twisted together, still fairly thin but pretty sturdy so I could just bend them into position.

I probably should have said, it will be moonlight or late dusk, with the little green tube being a red flare. I'm trying for lots of movement and drama, so have aimed for poppy against the wall watching tilly unhook her line and run forward to take position. So enough general light to see the loveliness of the sculpts, but the red light hitting the sides of both their faces.

Well, having seen another hungering darkness that seems to have a brain painted on the back of its head, I've decided I've let mine languish for far too long. So I'll be making some progress on him soon, while I prep things like the snipers for painting. Musculature needs doing next, and the first layer of that where I have to work out where everything goes is going to be a long job!

Hey phetish, thanks!

All my tutorials are linked in the first post of this thread, just under the crew photos. They're all pdf files, though the tutorial in the fanzine is a big file as its the whole magazine! If any of them don't work let me know and I'll reset the links, sometimes Dropbox throws a tantrum over them. Hope they're helpful!

---------- Post added at 06:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:08 AM ----------

All right then, with an event in toronto on the 20th and my Kirai crew lacking a shikome, I'm going to be sculpting a wild harpy that I'll be using as a shikome (I have the card already). And since someone else wants one too, I'm going to attempt to sculpt, cast and paint it in eleven days. And paint a pair of night terrors too.

This is probably insane, but what the heck. I love a challenge...