Additional spell costs

Stonedog-7

Question

As this question came up in this thread http://wyrd-games.net/forum/showthread.php?t=22276 and there seemed to be some divided opinion about it i thought i'd ask the question officially

If a spell has an additional cost eg. McMournings summon spell and discarding body parts, do you pay the additional cost of discarding the parts if you fail to cast the spell? (and the same with having to discard cards, corpse/scrap counters or even soulstones for other abilities)

And if so I assume you'd have to declare before the attempt what you were trying for if it involved a varying additional cost again taking McMourning for the example Canines would only cost 2 parts where a Flesh Construct costs 5

10 answers to this question

If you don't succeed in the Casting Duel, none of the spell's effects happen. Discarding counters is part of the effect so if you fail the spell you get to keep them. If a spell has costs to be paid before the Casting Duel it will be specifically mentioned in the description.

-Ropetus

Rules Manual pg50.

When a Spell lists additional casting requirements in the first line of its description, these requirements must be met during the Casting Duel or the Spell will fail. These requirements include: the caster suffering Wd, sacrificing/discarding Counters or Soulstones, sacrificing/killing friendly models (or the casting model), or others indicated as “AR: requirement.”

So pretty much, attempt to cast spell, start with Duel, then perform any additional requirements. If you can't meet the additional requirements spell fails, so if you already failed the casting no point to spend the additional requirements because the spell already failed.

Just to clarify, from what I've read if you meet the casting cost of the spell and then the requirements (i.e. Sacrificing a model) and the opponent resists it, you still lose the bodypart counters/sacrificed model/soulstone etc you've spent to cast the spell.

I hope so. At least then I can claim I was doing something right! Since resisting only occurs versus a successful spell, and meeting the AR is required for success, it only makes sense.

Triggers also pop regardless, according to page 54, assuming they still apply should the spell be resisted.

Edited by Hatchethead