Malifaux Expansions

Being able to create henchmen from a list of types and abilities would be good one. Lots of people love the look of the game, but pre set characters is the stopping point for them.

Masters by Wyrd, Henchmen by the player & Wyrd

The problem i have with this is that you will have to simplify the game and rules a lot because otherwise you will run into the same min/max'er's that just find that one (or more) broken combo and then it's no fun playing against them. IMHO.

The problem i have with this is that you will have to simplify the game and rules a lot because otherwise you will run into the same min/max'er's that just find that one (or more) broken combo and then it's no fun playing against them. IMHO.

The easiest ways to prevent that would be to:

A) limit the type of advances you can get so that not all advances in the game can be achieved, say Bully for example.

Or

B) make some more powerful abilities cost more experience to gain

C) which is a must anyway I would propose, capping total experience you can gain before you are maxed out.

To mix it up you could even have a Master, which starts off with x number of advances or higher stat and a list of generic starting Master abilities, and also have Minions which are bog standard as noted above.

To keep in line with factions, another option would be that for each faction, you can give each minion 1 characteristic from a set list, such as spirit/construct/Nephilim etc, so you start with some flavour in the crew already.

Just some more thoughts for the brewing pot...

Yeah, some strategies work ok and those 2 are good examples. Same could be said for Reconnoiter, but others dont work too well, like Slaughter, as you have 2/3 opponents to compare with, and what happens with the middle scoring player? Line in the Sand too, with attacker and defender..and 3rd player?...

Some way of having greater variety of playable games, or atleast a way of clearly identifying those games that are appropriate for multiplayer games would really help.

A third player isn't that difficult to add, say each player had slaughter (using your example)

Player A has to kill all of play B model's

Player B must kill all of player C models

And Player C kills A

Edited by Sliver Chocobo

Being able to create henchmen from a list of types and abilities would be good one. Lots of people love the look of the game, but pre set characters is the stopping point for them.

Masters by Wyrd, Henchmen by the player & Wyrd

How about starting from pre-existing non-unquie models and leveling them up to henchmen (Well excluding the Ronin, got to remember drifter ;))

I'm all for a set up where you can make your own master (or at least henchman), since that's something I liked with 40k as well, making up my own commander and all.

large army sized games, aside from some of the crews that can end up with alot of models on the table (gremlins, Nicodem), I kind of like it as a small skirmish sized game.

(currently trying to talk friends into trying the deathwatch ruleset online for 40k skirmish, games go alot more smoothly without 100's of mini's to move)

but I'd be all for some sort of expansion for making your own master/henchman, multipart kits to really make them yours, and alternative sculpts.

I'm not sure how a world campaign would work, but I've seen large campaigns for Mordheim, so it's possible, even if you don't do a map of the world so much as of the city, the city itself sounds like a large enough place

id like to see some sort of vehicle or mount rules sometime too

I'd love to see something with more generic characters. Don't get me wrong, I love the characters this game is based around, and I love the fact that it is based around characters. But, I do miss the idea of making my own characters. That said, anyone want to work on creating some generic henchmen templates and start adapting the Mordheim/ Necromunda experience systems? I think I'd be able to find a few people locally to play test it...

one of my future projects when I can get time, trying to make my own fan made master and crew based on the thousand thunders, I've seen nice mini's to use, just haven't worked out how to go about the abilities and stats yet

A third player is that difficult to add, say each player had slaughter (using your example)

Player A has to kill all of play B model's

Player B must kill all of player C models

And Player C kills A

That could work Sliver, may have to try that. Seems straight forward on the faceof it.

Although still have an issue in games with a defined attacker and defender like Line in the Sand....

That could work Sliver, may have to try that. Seems straight forward on the faceof it.

Although still have an issue in games with a defined attacker and defender like Line in the Sand....

I agree it might be difficult, looking at the core encounter chart

Treasure hunt will work as normally

Destroy the evidence will target the player to your left (just like slaughter did)

Reconnoiter same as normal

Claim jump, same again

And I have already done slaughter.

Also with schemes that target models/crews, I believe it would work best if you could only target the crew to left (to prevent players from teaming up.

Eg each play choose's assassinate

A must assassinate B's master

B must assassinate C's master

And C must assassinate A's master

I agree it might be difficult, looking at the core encounter chart

Treasure hunt will work as normally

Destroy the evidence will target the player to your left (just like slaughter did)

Reconnoiter same as normal

Claim jump, same again

And I have already done slaughter.

Also with schemes that target models/crews, I believe it would work best if you could only target the crew to left (to prevent players from teaming up.

Eg each play choose's assassinate

A must assassinate B's master

B must assassinate C's master

And C must assassinate A's master

Hmm that would certainly make deployment more interesting. Highest flip has a good opportunity to make sure that of the other 2 Masters, they have to kill the "easier" one of the 2. Would make things interesting certainly and not affect balance.

Also discourages the old player A v player B whilst Player C watches and picks on the weakest survivors....

One thing we often do in three or four way is not let schemes and stratergys target thge same opponent, so if I am slaughtering one crew, I couldn't be breaking through them, I'd have to do that against the other crew

Its not a perfect system, but does reduce the pick on one player aspect.

The easiest ways to prevent that would be to:

A) limit the type of advances you can get so that not all advances in the game can be achieved, say Bully for example.

Or

B) make some more powerful abilities cost more experience to gain

C) which is a must anyway I would propose, capping total experience you can gain before you are maxed out.

To mix it up you could even have a Master, which starts off with x number of advances or higher stat and a list of generic starting Master abilities, and also have Minions which are bog standard as noted above.

To keep in line with factions, another option would be that for each faction, you can give each minion 1 characteristic from a set list, such as spirit/construct/Nephilim etc, so you start with some flavour in the crew already.

Just some more thoughts for the brewing pot...

The main thing that would need to be balanced is how the unique characters in the game would advance; it'd be VERY easy for many named characters to stupidly powerful without limits put on them. In my mind, the best way to do it would be to say that uniques, rares, and minions would be able to select different types of advances. Perhaps limit the unique characters to only stat increases and not allow them to take any new abilities. On the other end of the spectrum, the 'common' nameless/faceless minions would be able to take not only stat increases, but new abilities as they grow into someone with an actyal name....

The main thing that would need to be balanced is how the unique characters in the game would advance; it'd be VERY easy for many named characters to stupidly powerful without limits put on them. In my mind, the best way to do it would be to say that uniques, rares, and minions would be able to select different types of advances. Perhaps limit the unique characters to only stat increases and not allow them to take any new abilities. On the other end of the spectrum, the 'common' nameless/faceless minions would be able to take not only stat increases, but new abilities as they grow into someone with an actyal name....

Hi Sobek. I might be reading your post out of context. Are you suggesting using existing Unique characters and Minions etc and advancing them from their current stats?

I was approaching this on the basis of no Uniques as all starting models would be minions with a generic stat line and either none or maybe 1 ability/attribute, and then advancing. As models advance they generate their own background, character and stats in line with that. Theirfore Unique wouldnt be an issue.

I wouldnt suggest advancing existing named models and archetypes, as I would suggest that be left to Wyrd to do. This is more an opportunty to add our own characters story to the world of Malifaux within our local gaming community.

If I understood your post wrong I do apologise. Just didnt understand your reference to Unique as that doesnt apply to what I was thinking.

I had the Deperate Mercenaries in midn when I thought of this.

So lets say that Wyrd introduces a role-playing game (Hopefully with a D10 or percentile system :P), the character option that the players would have would could all start out as desperate mercs. From thier base stats, you can build up to be a caster with a selection of a few branches of spell types (ressurection, elemental, buff bot,etc) or could branch out to a ranged archtype or a melee archtype with diffrent weapons specializations. one could even do an engineer type class set of skills. You could make it classesless and allow players to branch off into multiple types of archtypes.

for instance- Ramos dosen't have good melee skills or ranged. but he does have decent elemental (lighting) based spells and engineering abilities making him a (mostly) engineer based character with some elemental spells and abilities.