Dead Man's Head - Perth Tourney 28th August

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Luckily I have next week off, so will be able to paint what I have. I just need the rest to rock up - I've been told it's on its way. In the mean time, I'll be playing the escalation league, trying to get my head around the rules... Looking forward to the start of it tonight.

UPDATE

Painting Contest!

For those of you that have read through the players pack and noticed that during the lunchbreak it says that there is a Painting Contest but see no more mention of it ... never fear details are here.

1. Anybody can enter on the day, you do not need to be playing in part of the tournament to enter.

2. Wyrd models only, conversions allowed but must be at least 67% Wyrd parts

3. Gold coin entry per figure, no limit on number of entries per person.

4. Judging: 2 types of Judging will take place each with seperate prizes each entry will be eligible for both prizes as one entry

- TO Judged: The best figure as judged by the TO

- Peer Judged: Each player in the tournament will be asked to score their 3 favourite entries, the highest score will win

It will not be possible for the same figure to win both prizes (but the same person may with different figures). In csae that the TO judged and peer judged winners are the same the TO judged decision takes precedence and then #2 score for the peer judged will win that section. In the case of a tie the decison will be at the discretion of the TO and I may ask to see both figures again to compare head to head.

• 1 month later...

Well what can I say except 'What a Day!'

First off thank you to TGA for the venue and terrain, the event looked good and that wouldnt have been possible without those tables.

Secondly thank you to all the players who attended, you made the event a joy to organise and run. A special mention goes to those newer players who have just started playing, I was impressed how you threw yourselves in the deep end and giving a few people a run for their money at times with some of the combos etc that were pulled off.

And now for the all important Results

TO Judged Best Painted

Liam L

Peer Judged Best Painted

Luke R

Best Sports

Kurgan

Most Black Jokers Played/Flipped

Nic B

And now for the final results (TP/Diff/VP)

1. Mike 12/18/28 Outcasts- The Viktorias

2. Chris 9/12/24 Guild - Sonnia Criid

3. Stu 9/11/23 Neverborn - Pandora

4. Georg 9/7/20 Arcanists - Ramos

5. Olly 7/6/20 Neverborn - The Dreamer

6. Luke 7/5/13 Neverborn - Pandora

7. Adrian 7/4/18 Arcanists - Marcus

8. Zen 7/2/14 Resurrectionists - Mc Mourning

9. Nic B 7/-2/14 Guild - Lucius

10. Nic C 6/9/22 Arcanists - Colette

11. Dave 6/5/19 Resurrectionists - Kirai

12. Gary 6/0/13 Arcanists - Rasputina

13. Ash 4/-6/12 Resurrectionists - Kirai

14. Simmo 4/-6/10 Outcasts - Hamelin the Plagued

15. Liam 4/-12/7 Guild - Hoffman

16. Jason 3/-3/14 Resurrectionists - Mc Mourning

17. Nathan 3/-6/12 Arcanists - Rasputina

18. Joel 3/-12/12 Guild - Hoffman

19. Kurgan 3/-14/8 Outcasts - S'omer Teeth

20. Rory 0/-18/2 Neverborn - Lilith

I'm sorting through photos at the moment and will have them up soon

I wonder if anyone who took part in this tournament could pitch in with their observations about balance, faction distribution, gaming culture (softness/hardness of the lists etc.) and the influence of the crew size and tournament format on the balance.

There's some discussion about it in the thread about the NOVA tournament, which seems to be similar in size, was held at the roughly same time and produced quite different results.

Linky: http://wyrd-games.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24164

Well I'll share my thoughts.

The skill level of players varied from utter Malifaux newbies to seasoned veterans. For the most part, I think skill won out against any percieved power level between lists - most of the top 10 players were definite veterans of the game, and those who weren't are veteran wargamers anyway - certainly good enough to pick up on how a crew works in the limited time they were playing.

I can't remember the exact Viktorias list Mike used but he did have Von schill and the Librarian in there. He's one of the longest playing Malifaux gamers in Perth so his win was well deserved.

One thing I did find interesting was the prevalence of Von Schill. While nobody took him as a crew leader, there must have been at least 4-6 players who took him as a minion, including myself (The Marcus player), Nic (Collete) and the top two ranked players (Mike aka Massean and Chris).

I thought the Ramos crew was pretty interesting too - brass arachnid and Alyce, with enough steampunk aboninations on the side to build a desolation engine. I didn't play him but I'm pleasantly surprised to see that he ranked as high as he did.