Pinning Nekima

Q'iq'el

First let me confess to being addicted to pinning. Ever since the tragic day when one of my Night Goblin shamans lost his hand, I've pinned every single joint on every metal figure I own.

Enters Nekima (which I've just got for birthday :santa:).

Not only is Lilith's lil' sister the awesomeness incarnate, but she comes with her own pins! How should I react?!?

1. Leg-base joint: The pin seems strong and fits well. I assume I'll have to shorten it a bit (for flush fit between her feet and the rock), but I think no more drilling is needed.

2. Raised leg joint: It seems to fit perfectly well, but it is awfully short. Is it enough? What is the experience of the happy owners? Should I re-pin it?

3. Wings - the attachement holes are deep and the stubs at the base of the wings seem to fit well. I assume no pinning is needed here as well, but seeing how any potential accident will likely result in shock to the wings, I'm not sure. Have you pinned the wings?

4. Arms... this is a real problem. There's an entire thread about the subject here, but I find myself too inexperienced to act on that information alone.

There are two distinctive issues I have:

a) Where's the socket for the pin attaching the arm to the shoulder? I don't see any. The shoulder side of the joint is practically flat, even if slightly sunken. The hand attaches at quite a strange angle, if we want it to hold the sword properly, which has been discussed in the above thread, but I can't find any socket to which the pin should go at all (perhaps my Nekima's shoulder has been a bit different cast than the one discussed in the other thread).

Should I drill the entire arm joint? Or maybe better cut the pin, flush the joint and re-pin it? The arm seems to be designed to go under her chin, but for that to happen the pin should sink much deeper into her shoulder than the joint's design seems to allow.

If I got it right, it requires precise drilling with a rather thick drill (2mm I think), at an oblique angle. I'd rather ask for confirmation before I risk damaging the mini.

B) Should I pin the wrists? They are very thin, but the pins on the hands are so tiny they seem inadequate. What do you think?

I think a big mini like Nekima would normally require more pinning than average, but seeing how most of the joints come with their own pins and sockets, I wonder if my instinct is right? Have you re-pined your Nekima, or do you find the original arrangement adequate?

Thanks in advance for all the opinions and suggestions. :)

Since I don't have the mini, I can only give advice about the wrists:

If you can reliably do it without damaging the mini (is it too small for 1mm drill?), yes, pin them. If you think you could mess up...then just get some strong glue, they SHOULD stay in place, unless dropped from the table...

(I really hate pinning hands, it was the worst on the Judge...)

If there is no space for pinning then I recommend getting something like Filla-Glu. It's a industrial strength super glue that sets quickly and has a amazingly strong bond. I used it all the time for a while and only stopped using it for a time as I kept forgetting to buy more. I couldn't recommend the stuff more and it works brilliantly even on the largest metal models without any pinning. I've used it on some very large metal dragon models which I've later dropped and they didn't break apart. I knew the stuff was strong but that even surprised me.

If there is no space for pinning then I recommend getting something like Filla-Glu. It's a industrial strength super glue that sets quickly and has a amazingly strong bond. I used it all the time for a while and only stopped using it for a time as I kept forgetting to buy more. I couldn't recommend the stuff more and it works brilliantly even on the largest metal models without any pinning. I've used it on some very large metal dragon models which I've later dropped and they didn't break apart. I knew the stuff was strong but that even surprised me.

Would be nice if I could get something like that around here...but it's simply not possible :(

Nekima is indeed an amazing looking model and, for the most part, not too hard to put together (mainly thanks to the advice thread on positioning her arms!)

As she is quite slender, I didn't try pinning any of the parts on, I have used greenstuff and Loctite superglue gel, which has been really effective, well, nothing has fallen off yet...

The one problem that I did have was that the model is fairly top heavy and only has one point of contact with the base. The issue is that the calf/ankle on that leg is very thin and prone to bending under the weight of the rest of her, which I discovered after leaving it to dry overnight.

I did get around this by using the bottom tips of her wings as contacts on the base and also using a piece of slate attached to the base to support her other foot. This seems to have taken care of it so far, but I would be interested to hear if anyone else has had this problem and how you got around it.

I think pinning Hayzel is a totally different subject.

That's sooooo true...

Don't get me started on that model. Absolutely hate it head to toe. If it wasn't my wife's I wouldn't have bothered putting it together.

Luckily, I got paid for that. :) Otherwise, I wouldn't touch it....

If the joint is to small then I recommend Filla-Glu like I said earllier, if it is wide enough for drilling and pinning, then do that to secure the joint that way. However, I do recommend Filla-Glu for all metal and resin models since the bond it creates is so strong.

It's a matter of fit. There's a pin on the arm and a depression in the shoulder, but the depression doesn't form any sort of socket where the original pin would fit.

It may be a casting issue, but having read the other threadI'm under impression other players received their Nekimas with identical problem. I'm just not sure if their solution is the good one (if I'm not mistaken, she ends up looking as if she had a displaced shoulder joint). I wonder if it would be better to cut the original pin and repin the whole stuff, or drill a socket big enough to accommodate for the thick pin on her arm.

I'll try to post some pictures, but it's hard to show such small detail on metal parts.

I've tried to do my best with between the old camera, ungainly subject and all the filters I thought may make it more visible.

First the parts:

picture.php?albumid=87&pictureid=839

The "pin" on the arm is clearly visible. The socket is in the red circle, but no matter how I angled the picture, it's hard to appreciate it's lack of depth. She has some kind of shoulder pads made of fur and the arm's joint should hide entirely beneath it - there's enough place for the arm, but not for the pin. The darker line visible inside the joint is a mould line, which cross right where the socket for the pin should be.

The second picture shows how the parts currently fit. It is shot at an angle from behind her shoulder:

picture.php?albumid=87&pictureid=838

As you can see, the arm enters at roughly the right angle, put the pin has no socket to sink into. The arrow shows the direction at which I think the pin should go, but perhaps I'm missing something here. Either way, it is a rather unusual angle for a part to fit and to get a socket to cast nicely there seems to be impossible.

Unless there's another option I don't understand.

I wish Wyrd published bigger pictures of the Nekima they used on the box. Additional angles would be nice too. :)

It was this problem that prompted me to start the other thread. As it turned out, the problems with the original model were down to a bad casting, which my FLGS has kindly replaced.

That said, my new Nekima's arm & socket look exactly like your photos - I'm really baffled about how to get this to fit together. The only other player I know who's done it has fitted the arm as you've shown and then filled the gap with a big dollop of green stuff, which is probably the way I'll have to do it too (unfortunately my ability with green stuff falls somewhere between "rubbish" and "completely inept", but I'll just have to do the best I can).

Thing is, even if I do manage to sort this arm out, there's the problem of the sword. I agree that it's best to pin it (I think I'll file the little pins on the hands and replace them with proper pins), but given the difficulties in getting the right arm into position, I'll be very lucky (and very surprised) if I can make them match properly. I'm also going to pin the wings, because they just don't seem like a secure fit either.

All in all, it's a beautiful model, but really badly thought out (if every there was a case for a resin model, it's this one) - as we've said, fitting the arm and the sword is nigh on impossible, certainly without green stuff. The sword is ludicrously thin (I'm probably going to have to gouge a channel down the back of it to hold a rod to stop it snapping as soon as someone looks hard at it), and I hadn't even thought about all that weight on that one ankle. I'm struggling to see how I'm ever going to be able to transport it anywhere without it breaking.

In terms of how it relates to the artwork and the concept of the model, 10 out of 10, in terms of practicality as a gaming model, 0 out of 10.