with the release of the pathfinder starter box .

Hey I have never played pathfinder , i have been mostly into DnD for the role playing itch . But with the way of forth addition our group has been looking into other games .

what do any of you think of the pathfinder starter ? or should I just move right into the main rule set since our group is well versed in the rules of role playing and such .

I would just go for the main books and skip the starter. Some things in Pathfinder take time to understand and remember but overall it wasn't too bad of a system to learn.

We played for a while just out of the Core book, if something was confusing or difficult to grasp we just worked it in later. They also have a great community to help if you have any questions. http://paizo.com/paizo/messageboards

Yeah, if you're real familiar with 3.5, you should be able to just jump right into Pathfinder. I know I'd only played like 2 sessions with 3.5 before the other guys in the group (more seasoned players) decided they wanted to switch to Pathfinder. Didn't make a difference to me, as I didn't know 3.5 well enough to care one way or the other at that point. But I learned Pathfinder very easily. I really like their system in general.

Pathfinder was written by some of the same people who did 3.5 D&D (From what I was told) who were unhappy with the direction of Wizards of the Coast.

In essence Pathfinder took all the good things from 3.5 and fixed the bad things to make a fantastic roleplaying game. Their customer support is also great. Check out their website and you'll see campaigns for free to play test and leave feedback, and others to download that were player written. Pathfinder is much like Wyrd in the respect that they have awesome customer support and customer service.

You wont regret going to pathfinder, I'd just get the main rules instead of the starter set.

I find that Pathfinder bridges the gap between 3.5 and 4.0 - it gets rid of the messy and overcomplicated rules (such as the pages and pages worth of rules for grapple checks, that just got silly) and the over-focus (in my opinion) on the importance of combat for 4.0.

I also believe that Pathfinder has really made the character creation part of the game a much more interesting part of the process, no longer simply a min-max decision for the rest of the campaign. I really suggest checking out the advanced player handbook for Pathfinder to see the different options there are for rolling character classes - the 'Two-handed fighter' option is a machine!