pulse and target

sephiroa

Question

when a model casts a spell with rg :pulse and a model with counterspell is inside the pulse, can the model with counterspell use his abilty to dispell it? i had a discussion with somebody yesterday.

this is one of the special things i believe, he is not directly nominated, but he still have to resist it, so acctually he is the target of the spell.

see what my problem is?

can someone help me with this pls :)

sephiroa

6 answers to this question

in general no, only the counterspell ability only works if targeted.

If a convicted gunsling uses Suppressing fire on an arachnid standing next to Ramos, then Ramos can not use counter spell to stop the :pulse effect.

If the gunslinger targeted Ramos directly then Ramos can counterspell the entire spell, stopping the :pulse completely.

in general no, only the counterspell ability only works if targeted.

If a convicted gunsling uses Suppressing fire on an arachnid standing next to Ramos, then Ramos can not use counter spell to stop the :pulse effect.

If the gunslinger targeted Ramos directly then Ramos can counterspell the entire spell, stopping the :pulse completely.

correct i understand this, because it says the target

but what about lilith's earthquake? so does not target ramos, but he has to resist it because the pulse targets him.

your spell with the gunslinger was something else because he targets the swarm, but when earthquake comes in play,

eartquake: Rst: Df/Rg: :pulse12) the range is the pulse, so in theorie, ramos is a target, he is not alone, but he is a target.

can he use his counterspell, or not

Earthquake has a range of "c", meaning it targets the caster. Ramos couldn't counter an Earthquake, even though it affects him. Sonnia, on the other hand, has Advanced Counterspell, which means that if Lilith was within 3" of her she could counter it.

The main point here is that targeting something is not the same as generating an effect that affects something. Targeting also requires LoS, while an ability that just says " A model within 6"... " could affect something at the opposite side of a wall.

Earthquake has a range of "c", meaning it targets the caster. Ramos couldn't counter an Earthquake, even though it affects him. Sonnia, on the other hand, has Advanced Counterspell, which means that if Lilith was within 3" of her she could counter it.

If it said C I would agree with you, but the V2 cards have it a Range 12 :pulse which is why its not 100% clear. But I think we agree on the fact that counterspell should not work.

If it said C I would agree with you, but the V2 cards have it a Range 12 :pulse which is why its not 100% clear. But I think we agree on the fact that counterspell should not work.

exactly, well thats what i did :) if something is not clear and it is probebly to good to be true, its is :P

but thanks anyway