New Player Here - suggestions?

TheRiddler

Ok, so I picked up the rulebook and was inititally drawn to Lilith and the Neverborn.

Apparently it's good for a new player to pick a force that can be used well with a couple of masters, so you can get a different playstyle using the different masters (if that makes any sense).

So Lilith led me to the rest of the Neverborn, and OMG they look and sound awesome.

They also, aside from Lilith, sound like they are fairly challenging to play, with all of the masters having 'unusual' playstyles.

I particularly like the sound of the Dreamer, and also Pandora - do either of these use Lilith's forces well? I gather Pandora can be used with just about anything, although Dreamer needs Nightmares. So I guess Lilith & Pandora would be a better match?

Do either of these use Candy & Baby Kane well? There's something about creepy murderous kids that appeals to me.

Which way's the assylum?

Ok, so I picked up the rulebook and was inititally drawn to Lilith and the Neverborn.

Apparently it's good for a new player to pick a force that can be used well with a couple of masters, so you can get a different playstyle using the different masters (if that makes any sense).

So Lilith led me to the rest of the Neverborn, and OMG they look and sound awesome.

They also, aside from Lilith, sound like they are fairly challenging to play, with all of the masters having 'unusual' playstyles.

I particularly like the sound of the Dreamer, and also Pandora - do either of these use Lilith's forces well? I gather Pandora can be used with just about anything, although Dreamer needs Nightmares. So I guess Lilith & Pandora would be a better match?

Do either of these use Candy & Baby Kane well? There's something about creepy murderous kids that appeals to me.

Which way's the assylum?

Lilith tends to love her Nephilim. The direct synergies with other masters are currently limited to the Dreamer being able to hire and fully utilise, Lelu and Lilitu as they are both nightmares. The Nephilim can be hired by your other Neverborn masters it's just that mostly they won't maximise their potential.

Pandora is perfect for Kade and Candy but neither of them tend to find there way into my usual Lilith lists.

I'm sure some others with more seful feedback will be along shortly.

If you're starting out, I can highly recommend a Lilith/Nephilim list. It's very fun to play, and very forgiving because its so simple (point at enemy > melee people!). But, as you learn more about the game, its also one of the strongest lists around and there is a lot you can do with it as you go from noob to experienced so it will bear you well in the long run, too.

My 35SS list is going to be:

Lilith

Malifaux Cherub

2x Lelu

Lilitu

Black Blood Shaman

Young Nephilim

It's a little unusual as it doesn't really take advantage of the evolving synergy that Lilith usually makes use of with Terror Tots, Young and Mature Nephilim which is a more regular place to start (and I good one form what I've seen). I just like to use something a little different, yet familiar and keeping the Nephilim models (albeit a slightly different range with the focus on Lelu and Lilitu) to take advantage of some of that synergy.

There are a few directions to go with and so long as your list is mostly (or even all) Nephilim options you can't really go all that wrong :)

Thanks for the feedback. Lilith and her brood are on their way to me - just need to work out how to assemble and paint them!

Once I've got comfortable with them, I'll probably look to Zoirada or Pandora next.

Have a look at :

http://pullmyfinger.wikispaces.com/Lilith

nice tacticas though it has to be updated with some of the most recent releases.

Sounds like Zoraida or the Dreamer would be nice additions in brawls.

I'm a beginner too but, considering my favorite playstyles, I like to have a mix of brute force and subtelty. I think that pairs like Lilith + Zoraida or Dreamer + Zoraida might have nice potentials because one attracts the attention of the ennemy with its massive menace and the other one manipulates, weakens targets and cripples ennemy's efforts to achieve his goals.

Will see if my first impressions are right when I'll field Zoraida and Dreamer for my first brawls... By the end of the year... :o))

Edited by yslaire

Good choice with Lilith. She eats face, and is fairly straightforward with just enough tricks to keep her interesting.

Zoraida can make use of some of Lilith's Nephilim (specifically the Mature) so she might be an option for your next Master.

Pandora and Dreamer share a lot of models, so if you pick one up, you'll have much to offer the other. They will also offer different playstyles than Lilith's melee monster playstyle, though admittedly ones that take a little more effort to learn. I'd recommend checking out the tactica site to see how each master plays and pick the one that interests you most.

Welcome to Malifaux and the Neverborn :)