Cutting the Family ties

Satyrwyld

So I'm considering a tourney later this month, but last time this place held one, about half the entrants were running the Ortegas (this following a previous tourney that had a solid showing by Pandora...). Perdita is all but unused in my local meta, so I don't have much practice against her. As I usually use Pandora in tournaments and have no desire to sit through three rounds of "See the Unseen," (so glad I missed the last Perditafest) I'm looking at what else I have that might help me enjoy playing against that least fun of minis wargaming builds, the gunline...

It's easier to list who I don't have than who I do: Lady J, McMourning, Rasputina, Marcus, the Viks, Som'er and all henchmen are off the table (for now)

Other considerations:

While I have the Ortegas... I don't mind mirror matches, but no matter how solid rock is, you beat it with paper, not by hitting it with another rock. I'd like to shake up the tourney meta a bit and not just reinforce "everyone uses 'Dita."

My plans for basing Collette are sufficiently time consuming that I don't think I can get her crew converted and painted by the tourney, which is sad, because force-feeding the Family a coryphee duet would be quite gratifying.

I kind of want to use Leveticus, but I'm not sure how well he does against them.

Advice?

ALPS against the family only work with dreamer, there low wounds and moderate movement make them easy to pick off. Only there ht 1 is the helpful part because they can stay out los better.

The twins are great against the family with the ability to lure multiple times, I pop up using casting expert to lure in, I start on better than their wp (ca=wp). Lure once should prevent that model from being part of alpha strike. Once I fail a lure I pop back down out los, 2 lilitu work best for this. Keeping complete out of los and just taking potshots until you have reduce there numbers enough to focus on objectives and schemes works for me with Pandora.

Zoradia hooded rider and other models work great against the family.

I second 2 lilitu. Lure > Nino. I usually cheat to get double take and try to kill Nino in one turn, preferably before he can shoot. His ability to pre-measure range can work against him here. If he is just out of range to shoot, than he is just in range to lure.

The rest of the Ortegas ranged weaponry puts them inside charge range for most Neverborn models.

If you use Zoraida I would abuse Hex and Obey. Remove the companion (family) ability from some of them, stuff like that.

The Hooded Rider is also fantastic in that you can set it so that it can't be targeted by ranged attacks. Then when you engage some models they can't shoot anyone else either. Stitched togethers also do well in with their creepy fog since nothing can see through it.

ALPS against the family only work with dreamer, there low wounds and moderate movement make them easy to pick off. Only there ht 1 is the helpful part because they can stay out los better.

The twins are great against the family with the ability to lure multiple times, I pop up using casting expert to lure in, I start on better than their wp (ca=wp). Lure once should prevent that model from being part of alpha strike. Once I fail a lure I pop back down out los, 2 lilitu work best for this. Keeping complete out of los and just taking potshots until you have reduce there numbers enough to focus on objectives and schemes works for me with Pandora.

Zoradia hooded rider and other models work great against the family.

I was actually implying the dreamer should be run with the alp bomb, thanks for clarifying anyways :) I forgot to type in those two words when I made the post

Leveticus would be fun. What kind of list would you take with him? There is so much variety that I am sure you could put something together to give the Ortegas a hard time.

Disclaimer: I realize a more detailed discussion of tactics, assuming I go Leve, is probably better suited for the Outcast forum.

I'm thinking:

Levi (0 cache)

Alyce (8 ss)

3 necropunks (9 ss)

arachnid swarm (9 ss)

4 abominations (12 ss)

In a 40ss game, that's a cache of 2, and with the auto-waif and the spiders separate to start, that's 13 activations, so I can idly burn "useless" activations while the Ortegas move up, then see if Leveticus or the abominations / desolation engine can reach anybody. Otherwise, move forward in cover and wait until turn 2. Try for one or more of the Voltron constructs to form up and eat Mexican cowboy monster hunters while the necropunks run around and handle objectives. Once I have the requisite VP, I can have the necros start Slowing people and/or helping in combat.

I lack any of the horsemen as yet, so they will not be making it into a list.

If the ortega player brings austringers leveticus isn't that good against them. Granted I don't know how much the matchup would change if ashes and dust is released but a perdita player with austringers and like 3-4 family members doesn't have a bad time against most normal leve crews.