Which starter, steampunk/construct orientated

I have two starters so far, nearly finished painting the 'Born and the Bayou' set, and have had to stop with Zoridia's set due to a missing Ju Ju head. However, I'd like a construct set, to even it out (mix up with the 'evil alien race/witch' vs 'the gremlins that want to be more').

I originally loved Leveticus, but once the SPA's came out, I really was put off. I don't like the SPA sculpts, which isn't to say they are bad (they are rather nice on their own), it's just they are a bit... gory? Maybe that's the point of him, that he takes some sort of morbid glee in creating these 'masterpieces'. If I do go down that route, I'd pick alternate sculpts, like maybe Cryx's Thralls., which also ensures I don't end up with two buzz-saw heads for example. The Desolation Engine however is rather neat.

Ramos seemed rather amusing with his little clockwork spiders, that suddenly go boom, but unless you take extras to give him some range, he's easily picked off across the board. The arachnids are fiddly (have NO idea how you're supposed to magnetise them!), but have the whole steampunk feel.

C. Hoffman looks kinda fun, although i'm not too sure on the neat, clean styles of his constructs.

I will be honest, I have not got the 2nd rule book yet, so I'm going on looks or basic information picked up on here. Also, if I go Leveticus, then I already have a Rusty Alyce, so it would be purchasing him, the DE, and some thralls or such from Warmachine.

So, what is a good starting construct master/starter, that can be taken further into different strategies?

I think as far as play style you could do well with any of the three of them. You'll need extra stuff for all of them, except likely Hoffman, depending on how you decide to play him.

Moving into Brawls you can have some great fun with cross-faction pairings allowable by their special rules. In that regard, I might suggest Ramos as your lead construct Master.

. The arachnids are fiddly (have NO idea how you're supposed to magnetise them!), but have the whole steampunk feel.

So, what is a good starting construct master/starter, that can be taken further into different strategies?

For magnetizing the spiders, I put the magnet in green stuff, and then attached the spider to that. You can use the decorative basing if you want but I just painted them black. Also this way you don't have to have specific spiders go together in a specific base/spot.

I suggest you find/make a magnet proxy first. Take a magnet put in on the base where you would put the spider, then glue a magnet to the bottom of the base. Then repeat once the glue dries so it does not flip move around and connect to the other base. This way you will get all the magnets the same way.

As for choices, I think ramos will really shine once the mobile toolkit comes out. Currently he is a hit or miss based on the number of :tomes you get in your hand. I think the SPA are the best choice for the Escape and evade strategy. Start the game with Ramos and 3 Swarms... Turn 2 you have Ramos & 9 SPA that count for victory. Only 4 need to survive for 4 VP. Insignificant & Summoned (via sacrifice) count for that strategy. Just scatter, run, and a lot of defensive stances should do the trick.

I don't know Hoffman.

Honestly, Ramos can actually do quite well at just about any of the strategies, IMO. He has a couple of tough matchups (Chompy, for one), but Strategy/Scheme wise, I never really have a problem with him. And I very frequently play Ramos with the entire rest of the crew being all Melee models (Ramos + Steamborg + Spiders). Alyce also works quite well with Ramos there.

If you want to read up on those a bit more, check out the new Tactica wiki: http://pullmyfinger.wikispaces.com/home

If you want to read up on those a bit more, check out the new Tactica wiki: http://pullmyfinger.wikispaces.com/home

I was just looking at that earlier. Rather nice, especially as I was curious with what to buy for Ophelia next, and it explains it there in detail!

For magnetizing the spiders, I put the magnet in green stuff, and then attached the spider to that. You can use the decorative basing if you want but I just painted them black. Also this way you don't have to have specific spiders go together in a specific base/spot.

So you make a mini base for the spider, which then attaches to either it's own seperate base, or the multi-swarm base?

The more I look at Ramos (especially that black and white painted one, wow!) the more I think I like him. I will pick up Leveticus on his own too, and then proxy the SPA/DE to see how they play, then I can look at bringing them in later.

So you make a mini base for the spider, which then attaches to either it's own seperate base, or the multi-swarm base?

That's it.

I put one on a pining rod painted black from its foot, in a jumping/latched on pose. Also look more interesting in swarm mode because it can be crawling over the others.

I've looked on the forums and it seems the spiders are a bit fiddly... one guy on youtube runs a pin through the body of the spider to the base, but that I guess means no magnetising.

If I wasn't to magnetise, how many spider packs would you purchase on top of the base set?

I did see someone who stuck his spiders on washers, then put magnets under the base, but I'm pretty bad at making my own bases, and Microart's bases look pretty amazing.

I did buy, by mistake, some titchy tiny magnets, that were possibly the same size as pins from GW, if not smaller (had to use two of them to hold a gun onto a GW Stealth Suit in plastic!), maybe I could stick one in the bottom of a pin hole, so that I can pull the spiders out of their pinned base... but then that's going to eventually cause damage to the spider, the base's paint work etc.

Does anyone have vids/pics of magnetising spiders?