Off Topic Playground

That's what I was thinking when I typed it :D

I'm Mr Black by the way...

Chocobo is Mister Silter

ABs is Mister Grey

Webmonkey's Mr White

Hatchet's Mr Bacon-colour

You get the idea ;)

I'm okay though ta. Sounds like you picked up that bug I had the other week though.

Yeah, been getting worse all week :( feeling drained as not much sleep. Hopefully tomorrow I'm gonna try and use this staying in time for some hobby time :)

Currently left the Gaurdian half glued. Had to take him apart and reassemble him (pain in the bum when you use Filla-Glu too!) as he got a little to hot and oneof the legs shifted and wouldn't glue back into place, lol. Then noticed that the other leg had bent a little so had to redo that one :P

Short answer.... LOADS!

Longer answer:

I plan out everything in note form and leave it open enough to expect the players to go off track and in case of that I plan out a long series of subplots that will get them back on track in the end. Each subplot is written up for a few paragraphs or maybe a page. I always write up any NPCs and villains/adversaries in full though and flesh them out with full backgrounds, any rules they'll need and stuff like that in their entry to cut down on referencing books though.

Fot a campaign I ran in Ravenloft called The Siege of Hunadora, the campaign took about 18 months to play and I made sure I was always at least 4 months ahead of where the players were in writing it. The full campaign took up about 500 pages of writing, lol!

Another I ran called The Marionette Scenario was shorter, taking up about 250 pages, but had 17 adventures, 30 subplots, a fixed timeline (miss it and it's gone), 8 different endings depending on events the players were involved with, what subplots they took part in, etc.

Then again, for Feng Shui, I did very little planning and played most of it by ear with only a couple of pages going over the entire plot of the short campaign I ran. It was great fun for me since I left all the hard work to the players in what they did and threw things in that I needed to happen here and there :P

Of course, if it's a dungeon crawl, draw up the maps, have the minis needed (painted is very optional), get some acetate and wipe away pens, etc. very easy to plan out with a paragraph detailing each area, etc.

Also, I would never tell people what they were up against, instead I would describe something like a temperate mummy preserved in a pete bog as...

"The thing before you may once have been a man but that could have been long ago. Today this sluming creature looks misshapen, as if a heavy weight has pressed it into this poise. Its right arm, all but crushed hangs limp at its side, slowly moving it drags its right leg. The thing has sunken, hollowed out eye sockets and it caked in grime and filth, a heavy stench of death and dirt permeates the air about it and only grows stronger as it tediously advances."

Far better than saying "hey, this is a mummy preserved in a pete bog, slug it out" :D

I am still planning a All Flesh Must Be Eaten campaign that I started writing up early last year. So far it's at about 190 pages of notes and it still only encompasses about the first 3 months of activities in the campaign. I like to make sure there's plenty for them to do. Think The Walking Dead in a a RPG, but starting about 7 months after the world went to hell :P

I hope that helps.

Edited by LonelyPath

Actually, that does help. :) I'm currently writing up a single adventure, probably about six sessions long, so I don't need to go into that much detail, but the stuff you mentioned will definitely be helpful. Especially if my players like me GMing and are interested in keeping going. I like the idea of the descriptions rather than telling people what everyone is, and I think I'll steal that for mine. It'll be interesting for doing a Star Wars gimmick, but it'll be a fun challenge.

Glad to help mate :)

If you need any tips just feel free to ask (but if you PM me you may need to remind me in here too, lol). Also feel free to throw in some red herrings to throw the players off, give them some things that are very simple to work out, then catch them off guard with something devilishly difficult to work out. The plan is to keep them off balance, but never rail road them (push them where you want them to go), let them do most of the work for you and just throw in what you have planned. that's why I found it better to do things as notes rather then fully tooled out scenarios, it gives far more leeway in how things can go and if you need to change a location, that's simple since there's less work to do ;)

Yeah, I'm not planning any locations for encounters, that was a bit of advice I heard right when I started thinking about this. I'm not sure about how to do the red herrings, right now. The story right now is a Mandalorian commando team on a retrieval mission, hunting down a defecting software engineeer before he leaves the planet he fled to. I have a few contacts that I'm planning on sending them to (one onboard a space station, and one on the planet)...but I've never thought about leaving false trails. Any you could suggest?

Heh, I'll have to remember that. Yeah, this is my first time ever trying to be a GM. I guess I'll skip on the red herring thing, unless a good one comes to mind. I do intend to put the group through a few situations in which there's a real chance of failing, especially once they finally catch up with the guy who they're looking for. I intend to take advantage of the Skill Challenge system that Saga Edition has, and have the guy either be poisoned or dying from exposure to a vacuum, and the team has to work together to either a) get him to their employers alive, B) get the information from him (which will be quite a trick), c) stabilize his health. It should be an interesting situation to watch.

Heh... dying in the vacuum of space, i like it! We did that so some woman in Rogue Trader. She had a Displacer Field and when we hit her it teleported her into the airlock we were fighting near and she jettisoned her :P hahaha.

Shame really, coz I wanted that displacer field for my character :(

But yeah, red herrings are always best when you can really think them out and they make you chuckle evilly as you plan and write them out ;)

Man, now I wish Star Wars had displacer fields, that'd be hilarious. Oh well, I'll make do with what I've got. Now I'm going to work on finding a red herring I can use (ironic as that statement is)... hunting people in hiding who are supposed to be competent really does necessitate some sort of red herring, otherwise the Rebels end up being incompetent morons. I'll have to think of something for that.

LOL! Well the rebels might be using false beacons on various worlds to hide their actual bases of operations. or someone with the Force might be clouding the judgement of those seeking them out in a post suggestion. There's a lot you can do in that sort of thing in Star Wars :)

Time to head off for the night now, catch ye again and let me know if you think up something to torment those poor unsuspecting fools... I mean your players ;) heheh