Off Topic Playground

and it's supper difficult to break into the field. Schools tell you they want fresh, out of the box thinkers, but they only hire people who have experiance, and have put themselves into the narrow box that society and the government requires them to be in.

Maine's Gov. approved Charter schools and tuition based education. Basically, every student would be handed $X to go to whichever school they want in the area. I'm not sure this isn't a bad idea... I also am not sure how I feel about Charter schools.. *shrugs* we'll see if this helps or hurts education in Maine...

and it's supper difficult to break into the field. Schools tell you they want fresh, out of the box thinkers, but they only hire people who have experiance, and have put themselves into the narrow box that society and the government requires them to be in.

Maine's Gov. approved Charter schools and tuition based education. Basically, every student would be handed $X to go to whichever school they want in the area. I'm not sure this isn't a bad idea... I also am not sure how I feel about Charter schools.. *shrugs* we'll see if this helps or hurts education in Maine...

Come and get a job teaching over here (UK). The last i heard we were crying out for teachers....

though the kids are revolting....

From what I hear told, yeah it's stupidly hard to get into the field. You really have to be willing to look far and wide for the job or know the right person at the right time. *shakes head* the whole thing is borked.

Charter Schools hmm? What's the big difference between a Charter School and a Public one? They are basically private schools right?

http://www.uscharterschools.org/pub/uscs_docs/o/index.htm

BTW: Everyone should go over to google.com and check out the doodle...

Ahhhh ok. So they still have to follow many of the federal and state regulations but they still operate rather freely compared to the Public Schools. I guess I can see the appeal of generating more of these as long as they all teach the same core stuff...

But yeah... I think I see why this could also be troublesome as well... This also sorta puts them in the position of Education as a Service rather then as something provided to everyone... Well hopefully it works out :/ Sounds interesting though for the students (or parents I should say) who have a bit more choice in where they go....

What bothers you about Charter Schools? Or is it nothing really in particular?

@Google: Ha! Thats awesome! Though that right face is kinda creepy.... it's so happy...

yeah... the schools in Maine tend to be really... up tight... and dumb. I love to teach; I love working with students... but it doesn't matter because I've never taught before... EVEN though I do really well with high school and middle school students, it's not marketable without an interview... and it's hard to get an interview with out the things your employers are looking for *shurgs*

@Abs: I don't do... CUTE... or *shudders* pink...

@Karn: I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life until I started substitute teaching... :)

Well then at least it was a worth while experience if just for that :)

Also in some good news, the FCC is finally standing up and doing something about all those random extra little charges you see on phone bills and the like. It's a proposal right now, but it's a start at least!

http://www.cnn.com/2011/TECH/mobile/06/20/phone.bill.cramming.gahran/index.html?hpt=te_bn7

train time , talk to you all in a bit

@abs Il say bye now since your gone by the time i get back on all the time . :bigthumb:

Have a good ride in man!

@Karn: that's pretty cool... Glad they can't screw us anymore... though my company is pretty good :)

*nods* It is :)

Glad to hear you've not had trouble with them at least.

I've got Cingular right now and they've burned me a few times. They keep turning on this "data protection plan" for $10 a month and keep insisting I authorized it, but of course I haven't >.> So I have to spend about an hour a month fighting my way through their call system to get it removed and unsign myself up for it. I must be sleep signing up for things or something heh. If it happens again, this will mark the 5th time.

But also in techie news.... ICANN (Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers) is rolling out a new plan to let people register nearly any domain Suffix they want. So you could register .pants and then you would basically be able to charge anyone to use that suffix, so if you wanted a website for www.awesome.pants you would have to pay the owner of that suffix.

So this greatly increases the complexity of URLs and you can have your own suffix! >.> for $185k

http://www.cnn.com/2011/TECH/web/06/20/domain.names/index.html?hpt=te_bn15