Off Topic Playground

Tried convincing my wife to move there. Then realized I would be bored out of my mind (and the food is.... less than brilliant). 

It is a really fun place to visit. There is enough there to amuse me for 3 weeks or so.

I have a bunch of friends there, so thats a plus.  But I just like a lot that it has going on... and it has Sonata Arctica!  (ok, thats not really the reason...)  Its hard to say everything, its not something I've thought lightly on.  I've been more or less dreaming of it for the last ten years.

• Like 1

If there is enough to amuse you for three weeks, I could probably last as many months. I'm such a travel virgin, it's pathetic. I don't even take vacations from work - actually haven't had one in 19 years. Even this summer got screwed up so I am just taking one day off now, same girl though. 

I meant that there isn't much to do, not that "oh, been there, done that, so there's nothing new for me."

Finland is a great place to visit. Want a relaxing vacation? Some place to go for a while, chill out, and basically refresh yourself? Spend a week at a place like this. 

selfcottage_550.jpg

Between the beer, grilled food, sauna*, more beer, it's wonderful. Throw in a bunch of cool people you want to hang out with and it's quite amazing. 

But after a couple weeks I'd get bored. 

*Sauna (and salmiakkikossu) is probably the biggest thing I miss about Finland. Personally, I would rate the Finnish sauna experience up there with the Spanish siesta on the list of "best things human civilization has come up with."

I have stayed in 6 states besides my own. I have traveled through 13 including the ones I have stayed in. I envy you lol

I used to be a bit of a crazy woman.  I had no problem packing up my meager belongings and going somewhere without a job or a place to stay.  I've seen a lot, and lived like crap.  But it was fun.  :)  I kind of miss doing that.

I used to be a bit of a crazy woman.  I had no problem packing up my meager belongings and going somewhere without a job or a place to stay.  I've seen a lot, and lived like crap.  But it was fun.  :)  I kind of miss doing that.

Should you ever end up in Finland, you'll get to hear my wicked TWSS jokes live! Now that's something right there! :D 

• Like 1

Does your gym have guest passes?

Yes, first time's free (yes she said that) and after that it costs but that's something we can figure out! The gym's on me. 

Do your women have low standards? 

Well I've managed to get laid so I'd say they ain't waiting for a prince charming. Good enough? 

Is there at least one place I could get passable pizza, or a decent burger and fries?

Yes on both. And burgers can be made with a huge flaming pile of fire wood and all day beer drinking. 

Sold?

Yes, first time's free (yes she said that) and after that it costs but that's something we can figure out! The gym's on me. 

Well I've managed to get laid so I'd say they ain't waiting for a prince charming. Good enough? 

Yes on both. And burgers can be made with a huge flaming pile of fire wood and all day beer drinking. 

Sold?

CJ, you're from Jersey, right? Jersey has good pizza. Nay! Jersey has f**king awesome pizza. Some places have better NY style pizza than NYC. I know this because I've lived in Jersey.

While I think that visiting Finland is a great idea, do not for one second believe Z when he says there is good pizza there. It's entirely possible that Z is only familiar with Kotipizza (think dominos, but cleaner, and with worse pizza) and the like. That's not his fault. Finding good pizza in Finland is like finding good BBQ in, well, Finland. You won't.

He has an excellent point re: burgers and beer though. 

Wait, it's here in the US? Most Americans think of that being a German thing.

Hey, Dirial...

Well, they're considerably misinformed. German women aren't anymore likely to have nipple piercing and/or abs than women anywhere else.