Off Topic Playground

Home made chips, store bought salsa. Sadly most of them burned while I was dropping my brother off at practice. That's what I get for asking mom to keep an eye on them while she's at the piano with camryn.

The kids were terrible. One is clingy as all get out this week, another just wants to tackle everyone, a third whines all day, a fourth wont sleep, the 5th screeches all day and makes a he of blowing out my ears. The 6th is usually pretty good though.

---------- Post added at 06:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:16 PM ----------

How are your days going?

Whats the scar from?

Its an old character of mine from a MUD I've been playing for 15 years. At one point she mouthed off to a noble and so they strung her up, beat her, and cut her lips off.

Then for some reason felt bad about it, apparently, and got a priest to heal them back on.

Ok, I've been staring at it trying to figure out what was bugging me about it, because its very well done and I think I got it: the smile continues past the lips, but doesnt match the scarline of the rest of the mouth.

Unless she's doing the tiny lips makeup, which might be a bit busy for trying to figure out what you're looking at.

Personal non-professional opinion here, all normal caveats apply

Ok, I've been staring at it trying to figure out what was bugging me about it, because its very well done and I think I got it: the smile continues past the lips, but doesnt match the scarline of the rest of the mouth.

Unless she's doing the tiny lips makeup, which might be a bit busy for trying to figure out what you're looking at.

Personal non-professional opinion here, all normal caveats apply

I'm... confused!! Tiny lips makeup?

OK! the promised critique for Victoria! Warning: Wall of text follows. :3

To start, I have 2 points1: You’ve probably heard this before, but a quote I favor in critiques is this “95% of critique is crap, but it’s up to you to sift through it all to find the 5% that is pure gold.” Every critiquer is going to have their own opinions, perspectives, and some aren’t really critiquing, just being negative and trying to put down.

2: It’s not bad for your first digital painting. And with a mouse no less!

You cannot pay me enough to paint with a mouse. If you’re going to continue to paint digitally I strongly recomend Wacom tablets. I have a bamboo splash, which costs just $75 (cheap for a tablet) it’s nothing even close to a Wacom Cintiq or any of their other professional lines of tablets, but it’s great for beginners. Whatever you do, don’t buy any other brand of tablet. No other brand is anywhere near as good, and you’ll wind up throwing it away in frustration or it’ll break in no time flat.

Anyway, On to critique. The innacurate proportions in the face are probably style, but just in case they’re not, I’m going to critque them. We’ll start from the top.

-forehead/eyebrows: , it’s dificult to tell without the hair, but the shadows on the foread seem to be off to a nice start. The highlight above the eyebrows, especially her right eyebrow, is a bit hard though, The eyebrow does generally gte a highlight because it comes forward in the face, yes, however! women have much less prominent eyebrows ridges in the skull, so it’s going to be a much subtler shadow than a male would have. Even a male wouldn’t have such a sharp edge to the shadow on the eyebrow. It’s almost like a sticker that’s been stuck on there. You might also consider continuing the shadow from the side of the nose and the outside of the eyelid up into the eyebrow. That may help to erase the sticker problem. You might also consider using a couple different shades of brown to give the eyebrows a little more depth.

-the eyes I absolutely love the way you’ve done the Iris. Beautiful depth and life there. The highlight is nicely done as well, very impressive. Her lower lashs seem a bit long and contrived, though. I suggest really looking at the lower lashes on someone’s eye (I recomend your own in a mirror. you don’t want to creep your friends out :3) You’ll find that the lashes are significantly shorter, and have some uneven gaps and clumps, they curl down a little, but not as much as hers do. They kind of remind me of spider legs, which then makes me shiver because c’mon... that many spiders crawling out of her /eyes/?!? %^&* that’s freaky! I also find that line of pink very distracting and unecesary. Almost like someone has taken a photo of an eye and a pink sharpie and scribbled some extra details on top of the photo. It may just be that you need some more shadows/highlights to make it more convincing, but I don’t know. The shadow on the top of the right eyeball (well done for including it, btw!) is, again, a little bit hard. Maybe try starting out with a much lower opacity, and painting a progressively smaller area with each new pass? it would build up a much softer shadow that would match all the rest of of your shadows nicely just the way the left eye does. The eyes are also quite large, however, that works for this image. They’re very expressive, and maybe she just has huge eyes.

The nose: Noses are hard. Good effort on this one! I like the shading on the right side, it’s off to a good start. Your nose and mouth both are a snidge too high on the face. If the face is an oval, the eyes should be at the half mark (center horizon line... whateveryou want to call it) Then the nose should be half again, here it’s only a 3rd of the way down. The mouth should be almost directly beneath the nose, at 2/3rds. You have the distance from nose to mouth basically correct, if you just scoot ‘em down a smidge you’ll be good there.

The angle on the nose is also iffy. I’ll post a couple of example sketches for noses in a few minutes to help explain what I’m trying to get at here. Her nose is also quite flat. I think part of it is its unfinished stae, but also the hard outline to our right of it (her left) is not helping matters. It’s really quite distracting. So are the two spots on the bottom of her nose that are probably supposed to be nostrils, yes? The little bump on the side of her nose seems a little... off as well. Not sure what to tell you about that though. It’s going to take me a while to put my finger on what’s bothering me there.

The hard line in the shadow running from nose to upper lip is superfluous and distracting as well The shadow you have there already is sufficient.

The mouth: You have some proportion issues here as well, Some people’s smile lines, do extend past their lips, no argument there. I’ve had some for models. they were a little strange to draw! However, the proportions are off here as well. The corner of the mouth should be under the centerpoint of the eye. The left side of her mouth is fine, but the right sie needs to be stretched a little. I think that’s what has them thinking she has “tiny lips” make up. The shading, color blending, and highlighting on them is lovely, you’re pretty good at that! I wouldn’t increase the shadow on the upper lip, however, it might benefit from a slightly less intense highlight.

To answer your questions. well, your one remaining question regarding shadows on the face. As I don’t know your lightsource I can’t answer that for you. So, my advice: take a flashlight and go to a room with a mirror, turn the light off, and shine your flashlight roughly where your light source is coming from. It’ll show you a VERY dramatic version of where your shadows should be. I suggest not doing them as sharp/harsh as the flashlight will create. it’s just an easy way to find shadow placement. :) I am going to recomend a little more shadow under the eyes though, right now, they kind of bulge because there’s no dark to help them recede and fit into the face. Good rule of thumb here: Darks recede, while lights pop forward.

I hope this helped! Feel free to ask questions! I have a tendency to go into technobabble.

Edited by bowchikawowers

post-12583-13911930741961_thumb.jpg

some really quick sketches. The top left sketch is roughly the same angle you are using on your drawing. and the middle one is an example of the shading I was trying to describe, also the same angle as your drawing. Obviously they're a bit stylized, but do you see what I'm getting at?

Edited by bowchikawowers

Maybe, but that's pretty impressive.

---------- Post added at 09:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:51 PM ----------

Anyway, the month is almost over, so you've got that to look forward to. Do you have Monday off?

---------- Post added at 09:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:52 PM ----------

And Para confirms her place as one of my favorite characters in Schlock Mercenary today... That's it, next sketch I try to get from Howard is her.