Off Topic Playground

I've only really read the gaming forums. I shudder to think about areas talking about more serious topics.

SA is not worth more than the occasional lurk for me. I just don't have the patience for dealing with more than a certain level of jerkiness anymore.

Misery Index is the game I was referring to actually. It seems quite the opposite to me. It puts you in the mindset of a violent rapist yet manages to give little choice outside of that, you have to do the rape, its a game mechanic, and simply an awful one.

I didn't click the links- didn't even realize they were links and not just formatted titles :facepalm:

Looks like they didn't tread carefully enough :facepalm:

The base concept (what would you do in horrible situation X?) has some merit. For example, I think a board game where you have to, say, try to revive a country in abject poverty could be a good learning experience for people- done right, it could teach people just how freaking hard it is.

I could understand a mental health professional using an exercise like the excerpt you quoted in very specific context (rehabilitation of criminals, for example), but again, it would need to be handled very carefully and it certainly wouldn't be considered a "game" in the usual sense. I've been in peer support groups where (long story short) we were able to talk about almost anything, and even there, I doubt this would be considered psychologically safe.

On that note, I think I'm going to go back to working on something else. I think I've demonstrated enough incompetence for one day.