Off Topic Playground

Heh, probably whatever the same crazy part of my brain keeps insisting on asking girls out without it ever working. (shrug) Honestly, I have to say that I'm glad I put it out for feedback. Some of the advice has been great, others have been...frustrating. Complaining about exposition, then asking questions that can only be answered in exposition gets annoying at times...I don't have a Watson character to explain things to. Either you get exposition, or you don't get a reply short of Word of God...

---------- Post added at 12:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:00 AM ----------

me too,..

And I was just re-reading Endless City,.. I think it needs a total re-write,..

Careful of that word around Bow, she yells at me whenever I mention it... >.>

In all honesty, if you ever read my novel that's developed out, it's been rewritten from beginning to end once so far, and I expect to do so again later.

Ahh, so it does have its moments of aarghwhy?

I reckon the novel I started in nano last year will get a heavy rework some point, when I can figure out how I want it all to play out. But I've kind of lost my thread with it and have no idea how to get it back and remember where I was going!

well,.. like has been said,..

Quote from Supernatural,..

Chuck: Endings are hard. Any chapped-ass monkey with a keyboard can poop out a beginning, but endings are impossible. You try to tie up every loose end, but you never can. The fans are always gonna bitch. There's always gonna be holes. And since it's the ending, it's all supposed to add up to something. I'm telling you, they're a raging pain in the ass.

Ed remember what I told you on the phone about critique?

"Critiques are 85% crap and 15% gold. You gotta sift through all the crap to find the gold." Prof Strand. Point being; not all critiques are worth listening to, quite the opposite!

Oh, absolutely. With the novel, I had four out of four people complaining about the exposition. This time around, it was just the one person, so I'm not too worried about it, they seem to be more a short fiction person. Valuable perspective, but still, not the same kind of thing as what I'm writing at all.

Oh sure! Done correctly. But so many writers rewrite, learn a bunch during the rewrite and decide to start over again! Rinse and repeat. I've seen it time and again. If you can resist that temptation, a rewrite can be quite beneficial .

Man, I drive you nuts, don't I? lol

G'night, Web!

---------- Post added at 12:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:28 AM ----------

And...proving that critiques are a crapshoot, one person complained about long paragraphs, and another just praised me for using short ones. ...O.o

Ugh, half tired, half awake, and fully roasting. No sleep for me yet.

How's work going anyway?

---------- Post added at 05:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:36 AM ----------

Ahh, the peer review process. You'd never catch me commenting that reviewers, given half a brain cell more, would be dangerous. A whole brain cell more, and they'd be a plant...

Work is okay. Little behind on stuff, but I can do some perfectly legitimate shortcuts to catch up, lol.

Honestly, I just found it funny, cause my longest paragraph in the story is four or five lines... most tend to be two. So I was very confused by the first complaint. As it stands, there's more good advice in here than bad.

Oh, and after what I saw of peer review in that PhD comics archive, I understand why you have problems with submitting for critiquing...