Off Topic Playground

The system itself is great. I just wanted to use the Chaos rules to create some villains for my friend's Dark Heresy game, but it didn't transfer quite well. The Chaos villains had to be much higher level to equal out in terms of power...

Yeah, I think it is. Like I said, it's really only a problem if you're trying to cross one system to another.

Well, she didn't come out perfect...a couple patches of paint I couldn't get rid of are a little obvious in the primer. But...she's good enough that I think I can make do!

I'm working on the plot for an encounter. As much as I think of it being the first I'll run, I'm not sure it'll be a short enough mystery for one night, though. It's a serial killer mystery, trying to figure out how to do stuff for clues.

How do they get the clues? Spot checks, dialogue via NPCs, are they guaranteed to get them all or just some?

Does it have to all be done in one night or can you split it into acts? You know, act 1 figure out it is a serial killer and not some monster. Act 2 work out who it is. Act 3 catch them.

Probably a mix. Guarantee they get given some so they have a chance but then have bonus clues that they can get if they think to search in the right locations or ask the right questions of an NPC.

So you can have a villager or someone run up to them spouting useful information but it's up to them to go and ask others. Likewise there can be the obvious bodies and pools of blood but maybe they have to search for scuffs on the floor or bullet holes in walls (what's the setting?).

Best way is plan out the whole murder(s) writing down where the murderer and victim went so who might have seen something. What signs of struggle or other details are at the scene etc.

---------- Post added at 10:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:02 AM ----------

Plus have plenty of red herrings.

I like red herrings, lol. Especially with butlers!

---------- Post added at 05:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:22 AM ----------

The setting is Malifaux, actually. There's a few interesting bits I've got for the mystery itself, but I'm still not sure how things should go. I have my villain, along with motivation for it, plus another bit to add a twist to the ending. Oooo... >.> That just gave me an idea... And this is why people who are willing to have ideas bounced off them are the unsung heroes of creativity, it gets the brain going. Anyway, I just need to figure out how to get them to the villain in time for things to work out.

Here's the plot info the group is going to be getting, taken from Eureka:

In a major city, a series of brutal murders occurs every three nights. The first murder was followed, three days later, by another three murders. Those murders were followed, three days later, by nine more murders. It’s the first night of the cycle, and the city’s residents are panicking as they expect 27 more murders to take place in two days’ time.

If you're bored, go look up Russian miniatures games. There's one that looked like sort of a non-hex take on Heroscape- everything from Amazons to Pike & Shotte-era troops to future gangers, any of which could fight each other.

I had many reasons to not be fond of 4th... >.>

Speaking of Alkemy, apparently official RPG books compatible with 4th Edition came out a few years ago...only in French though :( :-( Still, it'd give me a reason to play 4th.

I restrained myself- a starter box + the exclusive Doomtrooper for Warzone and $5 for an Arena Rex mini-rulebook. Both are subject to change, but if I leave them as-is I won't be too unhappy.