Off Topic Playground

Maybe that'll be an ability that players can get, whether a passive ability tied to their path (Resser summoning a creature, for example) or an active ability where they burn a turn in exchange for recycling.

Now, we have little information, but a community fate deck and individual twist decks sound like the main deck is for all purpose randomization, but individual twist decks take some of the heavy lifting off it while giving players a chance to modify the results.

By random, I take it you mean 3d6 per stat? If so, I'm with you, I prefer having the options for different things.

I know for me, I'd love to see the complexity of the Star Wars Saga Edition, it really allowed for some neat characters with the combination of the Talents and the Feats. Hard to balance at times but it made for some really neat situations where I'd see two people build the same kind of character (a sniper) and had two very different ways of approaching it.

Well, that and all the other random generation mechanics. They're fine, but sometimes you don't want to play Gods and Clods, the RPG. I know some people like the challenge of making a $$$$$$$$ character work, and I'm totally down with that except when they act like it's the only way people should play (this hobby...). In those cases, I just want to throw dice at them.

Point buy systems seem to work pretty well, along with 'here are your stats, arrange them how you like'.

---------- Post added at 01:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:21 AM ----------

And anyone who does that with any game system makes me want to throw dice at them...from 40k to Malifaux to roleplaying...

I was thinking about this just a few days ago. Many models are essentially two suits. Performers are Tome/Mask based, which works into their theme of being illusionists. Perdita, on the other hand, is Ram/Mask. She's a swift, skilled gunslinger who can pierce illusions.

I think suits will have a large part in character creation. And triggers will be a part of the game, even if they don't function the same way.

Monkey! How's it going, mate?

---------- Post added at 01:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:50 AM ----------

I was thinking about this just a few days ago. Many models are essentially two suits. Performers are Tome/Mask based, which works into their theme of being illusionists. Perdita, on the other hand, is Ram/Mask. She's a swift, skilled gunslinger who can pierce illusions.

I think suits will have a large part in character creation.

Maybe as a primary/secondary bit of character creation? Primary being your overall Path (Guild, Neverborn, Arcanist, Resser, with the appropriate suit, Outcasts are the joker in the deck as usual) and then as you specialize, you get your secondary based on what are you close to.

That might be a good way to do things. X skill is restricted to Y suit, and a stronger skill might be restricted to Y/Z suit. So, crit strike needs a ram, but headshot needs another suit to get with it. If you have suits be the defining thing for a character, you could do that instead of a class system.

That might be a good way to do things. X skill is restricted to Y suit, and a stronger skill might be restricted to Y/Z suit. So, crit strike needs a ram, but headshot needs another suit to get with it. If you have suits be the defining thing for a character, you could do that instead of a class system.

Yep. Lots of potential for non-traditional character creation.

One of the things I realized when I started hunting down copies of old Deadlands books is that I really enjoy supported lines. I'm hoping that the Malifaux RPG finds that middle ground between supplement bloat and supplement scarcity.

Well that was the quickest I've spent $269 since Gencon!

I know the feeling! Sadly, this has me wishing I'd picked up the Hanging Tree...maybe it'll be part of a sale next year? Would make a great centerpiece for an RPG session.

Heh, yeah, almost seems like something got announced...

How're both of you doing?

I know the feeling! Sadly, this has me wishing I'd picked up the Hanging Tree...maybe it'll be part of a sale next year? Would make a great centerpiece for an RPG session.

Heh, yeah, almost seems like something got announced...

How're both of you doing?

I have a hanging tree... it's currently packed in a box to be traded with Sketch for some stuff!

Yep. Lots of potential for non-traditional character creation.

One of the things I realized when I started hunting down copies of old Deadlands books is that I really enjoy supported lines. I'm hoping that the Malifaux RPG finds that middle ground between supplement bloat and supplement scarcity.

Yeah. I know that as much as I enjoy Saga Edition, there's way too many books to try to find stuff from...at least a dozen. Granted, it's not as bad as DnD 3.5 at its peak, but that's still a lot of searching for things that might apply to a character, or to a monster, or a scenario, or an item you might use, etc.

Speaking of items, am I alone in hoping for as few 'artifacts' as possible? That was my big complaint for DnD, the magic item system got insane quickly...

---------- Post added at 02:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:19 AM ----------

I have a hanging tree... it's currently packed in a box to be traded with Sketch for some stuff!

What are you getting in the trade?