Off Topic Playground

Um, whatever comes to hand usually! It depends on the task, if I need something sticky or stretchy (or to work on things that won't survive a baking), i use green stuff (mixed with milliput if it needs to be sticky but not as stretchy and rock hard at the end).

Fimo for everything else typically, as it's so nice to work with. Classic variety, not soft, and a tan colour as white makes it hard to see what you're doing.

For lucius, I'm using up the last of my much disliked pro-create for the basic muscle shapes, then I have a big pot of apoxie sculpt for his acutal surface layers. Never used it before though so not sure how good it will be.

---------- Post added at 04:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:22 AM ----------

Oh, and brass wire for armatures as it cuts and shapes easily. 0.8mm usually but that depends on the size of the model. And clay shapers, colour shapers and dental tools for the actual poking!

If they're going in the oven solder fails, I usually wrap them in a thin layer of green stuff to hold them. Then these days I wrap another thin layer over the top once the first has cured, and add the Fimo to that one while it's still sticky. Just the first bits of Fimo, as it makes it hold to the wires and then you can sculpt on it without the putty falling away from the armature. You can either sculpt the whole thing while the GS is still soft, or get the Fimo roughed out and sculpt it fully later, it doesn't seem to make much difference.

Lucius now has some rough thigh muscles and buttocks, and tiny tiny feet. And at last I'm out of pro-create. Ahhhh, that feels good

---------- Post added at 04:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:42 AM ----------

And my little Wyrd tape measure says come in handy, since my calipers don't stretch far enough for me to measure leg distances on him. Seems like a fitting use for it really...