Off Topic Playground

Sounds like a good plan! And there's nothing wrong with long term projects. Really really long term. I think at my last count, I needed about 80 dragons and crews. And then a bunch of other stuff too. So at a rate of 2 hours for one crewman, that's, um, a lot of years...

Good news on the event coordinating too, sounds like fun and a good cause combined!

When it comes to batch painting I will happily work on 5 or 10 models at a time, depending on the complexity of the pain jobs required. After that batch is done I will paint somehting else as a reward (in the case of all thoe 40k models it was either a tank, a character model or a Malifaux model) before beginning work on the next lot. Once I get them all done I normally have a model set aside as my big reward, normally something I want to paint up for display purposes which will be a big treat, as I can spendmore time on it and lavish attention on that single model without worrying about rushing.

After the 40k models though it was a Constance I had been commissioned to paint by a gaming buddy of mine and spent about 60 hours on the model before it was done. Each detail ofthe model and raised area was painstakingly picked out individually by hand rather than dry/overbrushing. I was quite happy with the piece to say the least and most importantly he was happy with it. I refused to take payment for the model as he lets me game at his house and this was my way of saying thanks.

Batch painting is something I have always done, but I would much prefer to have to paint another Marine army than another horde of skeletons (I have about 4000 of them painted somewhere, lol).

Ahh, see its the final big reward I was missing, I tried the one batch them reward model (usually 5 rank and file, then a unit champion to lavish detail on) but I always ended up going to detailed on the basic troopers too! But with an extra reward at the end, just there for that kind of ultra detail, that might have spurred me on to get the whole thing done! Tis a cunning plan you have, my lord...

So, wait, what's this game? This is intriguing...

Well, it's all very draft at the moment, mostly its the bare mechanics and major history that I've sort of worked out. But if you think roughly American war of independence era naval technology with air support, that's kind of the direction. Not alternative earth though, it didn't work for me so I created a different place.

Ahh, see its the final big reward I was missing, I tried the one batch them reward model (usually 5 rank and file, then a unit champion to lavish detail on) but I always ended up going to detailed on the basic troopers too! But with an extra reward at the end, just there for that kind of ultra detail, that might have spurred me on to get the whole thing done! Tis a cunning plan you have, my lord...

I hope it helps you like it helps me. I also never paint in silence, I will have a stick of CDs and/or DVDs nearby wit ha suitable player for them. Just make sure the movies are ones you have seen countless times so you are not distracted by them, lol.

Yeh, I have to admit when I went ambling for inspiration to fill out the idea, I started reading Temeraire. It's that kind of thing, although with any luck I haven't gotten any closer to the novels than I was when I read them! It was pretty close in places, just by pure chance...

I'll get it more polished before I let it loose, in many ways it's just an excuse to do all the random stuff I do but for me coherent piece rather than the odd bit here and there!

Yeah I should be, could do with flexing the keyboard a bit again!

It is one of the best settings for anything ever, just enough olde worlde tech and style, with a bit of fantasy mixed in. Just as long as I can make it all mesh together properly, I'll be pleased. I went quite ambitious and now have to make it work properly in every aspect...

---------- Post added at 02:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:27 AM ----------

So what are people up to tonight? I've just finished up sculpting for the night, started work on green justice's head. Thats a tricky face to replicate!

Yeah, it can get kinda sucky. Oh well, I'll live. Just putting a good amount of time tonight to indirect labor- the programmer/ethernet/computer was stupid. (sigh) Oh well. Honestly, I'm just looking forward to finishing out this week with my brain intact, finishing up US History and New Testament Survey this week. Just five more days of these classes and then I get to go on to what are going to be, hopefully, some more fun ones.

I've got Introduction to Church Ministries, which will be interesting because I have no idea what that'll be like, and Theology Survey I, which I have some concept of but I'm not really sure. Those'll run from August 20th to October...12th? I think. And then October 22nd I start Theology Survey II and The Book of John, which will go to December 17th.

Heh, I love learning. Haven't been in formal education for the past six years, but I've been listening to lectures, sermons, grabbing hold on books of philosophy, theology, business and leadership...it was almost a coin flip, in a way, between studying natural science, or the science of God. But, my calling ultimately brought me to theology.

Oh, completely off the topic, I've found myself with my 6th edition list for my Krieg, and I'm really looking forward to trying it out. We've got a guy trying to push the meta into heavy flyer based, and I've designed my list to pull off a good method to shatter that, in the hopes that it'll push him back into balance before breaking the slender thread of hope to keep this club from ripping itself apart. Unfortunate that it all comes down to one person, but I get the feeling I'll need to get used to that kind of stuff in the future. :P

---------- Post added at 03:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:49 AM ----------

Speaking of, any suggestions on how to get Death Korps converted to fit with one of these?

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Imperial_Guard/Cadian_Shock_Troops/IMPERIAL-GUARD-SABRE-DEFENCE-PLATFORM-WITH-LASCANNON.html

Easiest thing I could think of is to chop the arms off of that guy and merge them with a krieg fellow .... or possibly pick up these guys http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Imperial_Guard/Death-Korps-of-Krieg/DEATH_KORPS_OF_KRIEG_INFANTRY_AND_ACCESSORIES/DEATH_KORPS_OF_KRIEG_HEAVY_ARTILLERY_CREW.html

and adapt them ....

---------- Post added at 08:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:01 PM ----------

I hate when one player decides to force the game in one direction against the wishes of the others.... one of the reasons I am now selective with who I play GW with.

Yeah, it gets really annoying. A couple of us are reacting by building two 'standard' lists- one highly competitive that is designed to specifically counter the stupid, and another that is just to have fun. Mine kinda fits into both, with a couple flyers, a lot of infantry, a lot of engineers...I think it'll be a lot of fun to use, and a lot of fun to play against.