Off Topic Playground

Work is dull. Literally nothing to do. And Elle is off who knows where until probably about 4am.

---------- Post added at 11:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:55 PM ----------

Also doesn't help that at some point in time, Elle decided gunfights weren't that interesting to write...

Also doesn't help that at some point in time, Elle decided gunfights weren't that interesting to write...

That's because she doesn't know that I switched the real guns out for the type with the little stick and flag that says "Bang!!",.. that pops out when you pull the trigger,...

And that's part of the reason why she finds the idea so entertaining... Granted, if it does go that route, I'll probably borrow something out of ALEPH's avatars. Or ME3 with EDI. Now that I think about it, it's not that odd of a route. >.>

Yeah, at some part Elle became very interested in that part of writing, and I don't know why.

---------- Post added at 12:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:11 AM ----------

tumblr_m2j6a189J11rtdivyo1_400.jpg

YES! Amen to that. One of the best cases of Pair the Spares I've ever seen. Made hysterical by the bits with Traynor in ME3 Citadel.

---------- Post added at 12:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:11 AM ----------

That's because she doesn't know that I switched the real guns out for the type with the little stick and flag that says "Bang!!",.. that pops out when you pull the trigger,...

Oddly enough, I saw a movie with that trope recently... Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker.

Have you ever read Altered Carbon? Its one of the best SciFi novels in the past few decades. Really interesting ideas, invented the cortical stack and then deals with issues of being able to "sleeve" yourself into a new body

---------- Post added at 12:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:17 AM ----------

edit: Related due to issues of gender only being in the mind now, since you can be either after a sleeve, but also just interesting for all kinds of crazy posthuman issues

Huh. No, can't say I have. I'll have to look into that. Reminds me, I wanted to do a reread of A Fire Upon the Deep...

---------- Post added at 12:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:19 AM ----------

The Safehold series does a bit with one of the main characters about stuff like that. Some great exploration into the concept of a soul, and if a machine imprinted with a human personality is the same person, and so on.

I feel that reading Altered Carbon and the comic Transmetropolitan (62 issues i believe) is pretty much required reading for scifi if you want to have a more "realistic" future instead of a squeaky clean Star Trek style which is often falls prey to the "era it was filmed in: in space"

Eh. I'm trying to find a balance on the Optimist/Cynic scale of things myself. Things aren't great, but it's not Starship Troopers either kind of thing. I'll definitely have to go looking for those, though.

Because I'm curious, where do you think Infinity falls in on that scale you just put up?

Infinity is pretty much future perfect as far as scifi goes. Average citizens arent dealing with the "wars", which are carried out in info blackouts in very small engagements, with larger scale wars usually being against the Combine on border worlds. However the setting itself is written quite well, each faction has a logical reason as to WHY its a super power and why they are/are not using broken future tech.

Yes, they CAN make you immortal, but that's bad for humanity as a whole, so its tightly controlled. Youthful? Thats for sale. I really love how Infinity handles the whole ideal future front with a seedy info war in the back. Its awesome. Cant wait for the art book.