Off Topic Playground

Oh you get a day off for the Royal Wedding? Excellent XD

It was interesting last night, there were a whole bunch of articles out that the fury of net activity generated by the royal wedding had the potential to bring down sections of the internet. We saw this happen during the World Cup for Soccer, but thankfully the timing appears to have worked out and the interweb lives on!

Yes indeed, can't complain about that, it's also a holiday for us on Monday so a pretty good weekend all round.

I'm worried that I might have a sinus infection... *grumbles* I'll wait to go to the doctors though... I don't want them putting me on anything until I'm sure it's a sinus infection and not just a backed up sinus....

Other than that I'm good ;)

Bad times. Do you need a hot lemon drink?

I'm off again. In And out like a ninja!

*nearly falls off your shoulder at the squee, pulls himself back up by his tail*

Cool =) Glad your excited about it heh, I wish I could be half as excited about painting XD I probably would be if I just did it more heh.

Like a Slytherin, like from Harry Potter? Thats a neat idea actually. I've not even begun to think how I will do mine lol. Probably just standard colors for the crew.

There are some models that I would never want to run, but I REALLY want to paint... and there are guys at the store who oblige me... They even PAY me to paint them :D

My list of want to paints are: the Coryphee, Nekima, Kaeris (sp).... wouldn't mind painting a Collette (sp) crew... Some of the new December stuff *shrugs* I'll get to paint at least two of those (the first and third :D)

yes, Slytherin as in Harry Potter ;) He saw a picture on line, thought she looked like Alyce, asked me to do it up, and I did. I prefer to paint them how I want (I really want to paint a 'Tina crew in purples and blues), but if someone is paying me, and they want something in particular (I was asked to paint the 'Tina crew in CHRISTMAS colors *shudders*) I do as they ask... :)

Bad times. Do you need a hot lemon drink?

I'm off again. In And out like a ninja!

I think I'd like to put some steaming hot water on a washcloth, slather it with Vicks Vapo Rub and Breathe Deep :)

If I were braver I'd use a netty pot and wash it all away.... *shudders* can't... won't do that :(

By Chuck!

There are some models that I would never want to run, but I REALLY want to paint... and there are guys at the store who oblige me... They even PAY me to paint them :D

My list of want to paints are: the Coryphee, Nekima, Kaeris (sp).... wouldn't mind painting a Collette (sp) crew... Some of the new December stuff *shrugs* I'll get to paint at least two of those (the first and third :D)

yes, Slytherin as in Harry Potter ;) He saw a picture on line, thought she looked like Alyce, asked me to do it up, and I did. I prefer to paint them how I want (I really want to paint a 'Tina crew in purples and blues), but if someone is paying me, and they want something in particular (I was asked to paint the 'Tina crew in CHRISTMAS colors *shudders*) I do as they ask... :)

It always makes things all the better if you get paid to do what you like doing =D

yeah Nekima is going to be a blast, but I will use her a lot. As for models I'd like to paint but wont play.... Id love to do an ice golem. =D

Netty Pot?

From Wikipedia

Neti pots flush out the nasal cavities by using gravity to draw the flow of saline. Some modern variants available from pharmacies are made of flexible plastic and can be compressed to exert additional pressure. In recent years alternative strategies have been developed,[2] including bulb syringes in which the flow is created by squeezing a bulb and more advanced 'pulsatile devices' which mechanically pump the saline.

Bulb syringes provide the user with complete control over the pressure. Pulsatile devices either pump at a constant pressure or require the user to turn a control knob. Neti pots, on the other hand, require the user to turn the head (with the neti pot inserted) in order to control the pressure.

The use of a neti pot requires mixing up a saline solution that will be poured through the nasal passages. A typical saline solution is a mixture of around 500 ml of water with 5 g of salt. Sodium bicarbonate is sometimes added (2.5 g) to buffer the solution and make it more gentle on the sinuses, but the effectiveness of this is unproven.[3] The neti pot used with a saline solution has been shown to be an effective treatment for hay fever,[4] sinusitis, and other nasal conditions. Both isotonic and hypertonic saline is used for neti.

I can't use one 'cause putting NASAL SPRAY up my nose freaks me out, let alone water or saline... *shudders*

Edited by TheOneWhoFell
missed something

From Wikipedia

Neti pots flush out the nasal cavities by using gravity to draw the flow of saline. Some modern variants available from pharmacies are made of flexible plastic and can be compressed to exert additional pressure. In recent years alternative strategies have been developed,[2] including bulb syringes in which the flow is created by squeezing a bulb and more advanced 'pulsatile devices' which mechanically pump the saline.

Bulb syringes provide the user with complete control over the pressure. Pulsatile devices either pump at a constant pressure or require the user to turn a control knob. Neti pots, on the other hand, require the user to turn the head (with the neti pot inserted) in order to control the pressure.

The use of a neti pot requires mixing up a saline solution that will be poured through the nasal passages. A typical saline solution is a mixture of around 500 ml of water with 5 g of salt. Sodium bicarbonate is sometimes added (2.5 g) to buffer the solution and make it more gentle on the sinuses, but the effectiveness of this is unproven.[3] The neti pot used with a saline solution has been shown to be an effective treatment for hay fever,[4] sinusitis, and other nasal conditions. Both isotonic and hypertonic saline is used for neti.

I can't use one 'cause putting NASAL SPRAY up my nose freaks me out, let alone water or saline... *shudders*

Ohhhh ok... yeah I could never use those *shudders* they just don't feel right at all >< Tried them for a while but just blah... noooo way.

Though the hot face cloth on your face for a while works wonders =D

a lot of people swear by them... *shrugs* almost drowning in a class 5 rapid kinda makes you a little hinky about having stuff up your nose *nods*

Ouch... that doesn't sound like a good experience at all :/

Never done white water rafting... thats kinda why I havent...

Never done white water rafting... thats kinda why I havent...

I love to raft. Love Love Love it! Unfortunately I have really bad anxiety... and When I first started rafting I was okay... but the last time I went One of the guys on my raft (there were only three of us total) kept having to grab me because I almost went in several times... We dumped in a big hole, and I couldn't get my panic-brain to listen to my rational-brain. There was this moment of "this is it... there isn't anything I can do" and I got really calm. Then someone rescued me. That was the last time I went... If I had been so up tight, and doing what I was SUPPOSED to have been doing, we all would have been fine. I was endangering my crewmates, my guide AND myself because I couldn't remain calm.

If you don't have Anxiety issues, you should be fine; and I would HIGHLY recomend it... It's a blast :D (and that should tell you something - I can't do it, but I would in a heartbeat if I could)

I love to raft. Love Love Love it! Unfortunately I have really bad anxiety... and When I first started rafting I was okay... but the last time I went One of the guys on my raft (there were only three of us total) kept having to grab me because I almost went in several times... We dumped in a big hole, and I couldn't get my panic-brain to listen to my rational-brain. There was this moment of "this is it... there isn't anything I can do" and I got really calm. Then someone rescued me. That was the last time I went... If I had been so up tight, and doing what I was SUPPOSED to have been doing, we all would have been fine. I was endangering my crewmates, my guide AND myself because I couldn't remain calm.

If you don't have Anxiety issues, you should be fine; and I would HIGHLY recomend it... It's a blast :D (and that should tell you something - I can't do it, but I would in a heartbeat if I could)

Blah that's ashame :/ maybe some day you'll be able to go again but thats a rough experience ><

I'd love to try it and in general I keep my head under pressure... but since I've never tested it in that kind of situation not really sure XD and that bit of not being sure makes me a bit anxious about it I suppose. But Im sure it is a blast and the experience of it is very enticing...

Ill give it a try some day *nods*.

find yourself a guide that you know... talk to him/her about your expectations... Go on a big boat with a crew of at least 5 or 6 +the guide... you should be fine. With one exception, the only times I swam in the river I was in a little boat... two to four people in the crew +the guide... and we were on a turbine test... where they effectively quadruple the amount of water on the river.... Makes for a fast, wild ride (on the Kenebec in northern Maine, there is a wave known as Big Mama... it's a standing wave in the middle of the river (meaning it builds for a bit then crashes) typically it's about 8'-10' (yes feet) tall. During a turbine test... it's like 15' :D)

find yourself a guide that you know... talk to him/her about your expectations... Go on a big boat with a crew of at least 5 or 6 +the guide... you should be fine. With one exception, the only times I swam in the river I was in a little boat... two to four people in the crew +the guide... and we were on a turbine test... where they effectively quadruple the amount of water on the river.... Makes for a fast, wild ride (on the Kenebec in northern Maine, there is a wave known as Big Mama... it's a standing wave in the middle of the river (meaning it builds for a bit then crashes) typically it's about 8'-10' (yes feet) tall. During a turbine test... it's like 15' :D)

*Scribbles this down*

Turbine Test.. that sounds interesting and yet... well intimidating lol.

15' wave.... wow... that must have been one heck of an experience to go by that!

Hmm I wonder if they have much white water rafting in MA... but NH isn't far away (like 5-7 miles away XD) and I bet they have some.... I think I will try to figure this out for this summer. Seems like as good a time as any to go for it and why wait XD

Do you have to buy any gear for it? Or do they supply it etc?

Morning! I'm here earlier than usual. ;) Well, actually, that's just because you guys have been less active than usual this morning, hahahaha.

Oooh...rafting! Haven't done that in many years, but it is a BLAST! I think the highest I've done is a Class 4. But I would definitely recommend going with the ones where you have a guide. We did a Class 2/3 once with just a bunch of friends, and no guide, and we kept getting stuck. Was still fun, but had to get out and drag the boat a lot. With a guide, they'll do all sorts of cool stuff with you, and help you navigate the really tough spots. Then when you make it through an area where you see everybody else getting stuck, you start feeling like "Oh yeah, suckers!" :D

*Scribbles this down*

Turbine Test.. that sounds interesting and yet... well intimidating lol.

15' wave.... wow... that must have been one heck of an experience to go by that!

Hmm I wonder if they have much white water rafting in MA... but NH isn't far away (like 5-7 miles away XD) and I bet they have some.... I think I will try to figure this out for this summer. Seems like as good a time as any to go for it and why wait XD

Do you have to buy any gear for it? Or do they supply it etc?

By it? No no no no we went UP it :D... It's so big, and it's in a gorge... you don't have a choice but to go up it.

There is a ton of rafting all over New England! http://www.zoaroutdoor.com/whitewaterrafting.htm?gclid=CLWrta3rwagCFQbc4AodkzdypA

My friends like the Deerfield the best (they go down a couple times a year).

You do not have to buy gear; a good guide will have the equipment available through their company... :)

Morning! I'm here earlier than usual. ;) Well, actually, that's just because you guys have been less active than usual this morning, hahahaha.

Oooh...rafting! Haven't done that in many years, but it is a BLAST! I think the highest I've done is a Class 4. But I would definitely recommend going with the ones where you have a guide. We did a Class 2/3 once with just a bunch of friends, and no guide, and we kept getting stuck. Was still fun, but had to get out and drag the boat a lot. With a guide, they'll do all sorts of cool stuff with you, and help you navigate the really tough spots. Then when you make it through an area where you see everybody else getting stuck, you start feeling like "Oh yeah, suckers!" :D

Good advice! I'd want to go with a guide any way lol, especially the first few times XD Just don't know anyone who actually does Rafting around here :/

I know like a dozen Kiakers (or however it is spelled >.>), but no white water rafters.

By it? No no no no we went UP it biggrin.gif... It's so big, and it's in a gorge... you don't have a choice but to go up it.

There is a ton of rafting all over New England! http://www.zoaroutdoor.com/whitewate...FQbc4AodkzdypA

My friends like the Deerfield the best (they go down a couple times a year).

You do not have to buy gear; a good guide will have the equipment available through their company... smile.gif

*whistles* that would be interesting. So you just go up one side and over it huh? lol man that sounds like a blast.

Thanks for the link Fell! Ill check it out when I get home later.

Good to know about the gear, just not sure how that all works and didn't want to have to buy a ton of stuff for it XD

Good advice! I'd want to go with a guide any way lol, especially the first few times XD Just don't know anyone who actually does Rafting around here :/

I know like a dozen Kiakers (or however it is spelled >.>), but no white water rafters.

a lot of my friends who guide Kayak as well... you can do both on a river (white water Kayaks look really weird), but considering your height, Karn, I don't think you'd fit in the (smaller than average) 'yaks :\

lol! Got you stuck just for shits and giggles? Gotta love that =)

That's usually why I ended up swimming. One of my friends lost a sandal... one of the Tiva knock offs... retained the cuff around his ankle... but the suction of the hole pulled the bottom of it off.. :)

a lot of my friends who guide Kayak as well... you can do both on a river (white water Kayaks look really weird), but considering your height, Karn, I don't think you'd fit in the (smaller than average) 'yaks :\

Hmmm White Water Kayaks... odd but interesting lol. Yeah... if they are smaller I will have trouble as normal ones are a bit cramped any way XD

The price of being tall lol.

That's usually why I ended up swimming. One of my friends lost a sandal... one of the Tiva knock offs... retained the cuff around his ankle... but the suction of the hole pulled the bottom of it off.. :)

*snickers* Yeah but thats half the fun of it any way right? As long as things dont go to far it's all fun and games XD

river Kayaks are paddled with a double bladed paddle. Part of controling them is in your hips. You shift your legs/hips to get it to go where you want it to go... one of the most important things you have to know when kayaking on a river is how to "Eskimo Roll" (flip the Kayak upright when it's upside down). The Second most important is how to swim ;)