Just starting with Malifaux

jinnkain

The best crew to start with is the one you like the best, whether that's the models or the fluff.

Among the Crews generally viewed as easiest to start with include Perdita, lady justice and seamus.

There are plenty of tactica's around to assist though.

Good luck narrowing it down, no doubt you will end up with a stupid amount of crews just like the rest of us.

Well,certain masters are considered easier then others. It mostly depends on what play style you like. Most consider masters with less tricks required to be effective as easier. but everyone is different really

Some of the ones I have been told are easy to pick up and be effective with.

Perdita (great out of the box,best with a enslaved neph) -Shooting.

Lady Justice (great out of the box)-Melee,bit of shooting.

Lilith (box set + blister of young nephilim)-Melee+lots of it.

Seamus (box set good,+ convict gunslinger = great)-Board control

Nicodem (Easy to pick up but takes alot of models to be really effective)-summons armies of minions.

Von Schill (great out of the box,best with Taelor added)-Small unit,good jack of all trades models.

So these are some of the easier ones in my opinion

I have my eyes on outcasts, resurrectionists and the guild I also like the look of neverborn, but out of them all I am drawn to the resurrectionists .

You're in luck. I think Nicodem, Seamus, and McMourning are all fairly straightforward masters.

I have my eyes on outcasts, resurrectionists and the guild I also like the look of neverborn, but out of them all I am drawn to the resurrectionists .

Seamus would be your best bet then. The box set is good on its own (maybe get a copycat killer to go with it), and they have a variety of melee/ranged/magic options so you can see how each works and what you like.

Dark Alleycat left Ophelia out of that list because he hates the site of her.

I would add Ramos and Rasputina to that list of his.

It was more that she has alot of tricks that seem to be not easily picked up to be effective. Personally I look forward to playing against her with Seamus,because by the end Im gonna turn her into a Midget zombie hooker. and who doesnt like that idea lol.

As for Ramos...his is entirely about activation order but I agree he can be a good master to work with. not incredibly difficult but not AS easy as some.

Rasputina...I honestly haven't played her or really gotten a good feel for her so I couldn't say for sure.The rest I have either played with or against or with lilith and perdita seen played repeatedly.

But if your thinking outcasts or Ressers...I would wholeheartedly recommend Seamus. He gives you a good taste of how board control can work,his Army is tough as nails even if it lacks a tad bit of damage output,and totally lacks ranged options.

Throw in a blister of crooked men,or a convict gunslinger,or both,and you have one hell of a good crew.

Edited by Dark Alleycat

I think you'll dig Seamus.

He's got the capability to be real gimicky, or to be very straightforward, so its up to you how you play.

Bete Noir is actually a model I'd steer clear of at first, just stick with the box and your totem, with a boat load of Belles for higher games.

That way you'll get your feet wet and have a knowhow of your crew.

After you feel comfortable kicking ass with zombie hookers, then you should expand out.

Two great pick ups are the Convict Gunslinger and Bete, obviously.

The Convict will serve you well as he's a dumpster for your high :masks so that they aren't wasted on other flips.

Bete Noire is a load of fun to use, too.

Both are strong masters. McMourning has a few ridiculous abilities, the only drawback is that his box sucks. I've never used the nurses.

This is the main problem with McMournings crew box, you really need cheap models to maximize the Nurses usefullness. Canine Remains fill that roll pretty well (especially since McMourning and Sebastian can create them) however they don't come in the starting crew box. The remains definately up McMournings crew cost a bit.

Bete Noir is actually a model I'd steer clear of at first, just stick with the box and your totem, with a boat load of Belles for higher games...

After you feel comfortable kicking ass with zombie hookers, then you should expand out.

Two great pick ups are the Convict Gunslinger and Bete, obviously.

The Convict will serve you well as he's a dumpster for your high :masks so that they aren't wasted on other flips.

Bete Noire is a load of fun to use, too.

Kind of confusing post, however I definately agree that the three of them make excellent additions (first suplemental purchases) to the starting Seamus Crew Box.

Bette is really great with this crew (and the Belles) as she gives a really amazing ability to damage and control over enemy AP. Additionally if you keep a 10 in your hand she is virtually unkillable thanks to "Slow to Die" and "One with the Night". The "Drawn to Death" manifest requirement is not as difficult as it may appear, just think of it as similar to "Immediate Revenge" that only triggers when the model dies. As you can probably tell I really love the utility of my Corpse Bride.

The Convict Gunslinger gives the Crew a cheap credible Ranged threat (that they for the most part lack) and the ability to get around those annoying "Harmless" and "Pitiful" models.

The Copy Cat Killer is a great way to increase Seamus survivability with "Mistaken Identity" and how can you not love another .50 caliber pistol strike.

In the end you are probably going to purchase (and use) all three.

It being your first crew, go with something you like the look of... you'll be investing a lot of time looking at them, painting, playing and such, so if your attitude is "meh" with your crew, you're a lot less likely to maintain passion for the game.

Though some crews have an easier learning curve than others, I'd still say go with a crew you like the look of...

If it's your only crew, then it's the only crew you need to learn. Obviiously you're going to study it's playstyle here on the forums, practice, get the gist of 1-3 abilities per model to start with, and get comfy with it before learning to finesse your playstyle.

My first crew was Pandora, so I had to learn the "Crew of a Thousand Cuts" thing. It's one of the hardest to learn I heard, but since it's the crew I loved the look and the fluff of the most (Evil Kiddies and Teddies! Bwa ha ha!!!) it was going to be the only thing I had to learn... if I was going to learn the game anyway... might as well be with a crew I love, eh?

Then I had to learn to adjust my strategies per the different missions and schemes, then learn how to adjust to each opposing crew, and learn how to react to each player's style. Each crew has a rich gaming experience at each of those junctions...

Then if you're REALLY masochistic (like most of us... *sigh*), invest in another crew!!!

... which you'll probably do within your first six weeks of playing... Great game! It will definitely suck you in! Welcome to Wyrd!