Getting Started with Malifaux

So tomorrow night, in celebration of April Fool's Day, a game shop in my hometown is having a sale where everything in the store is at least 20% off. I figured this would be the perfect time to get into Malifaux. I called ahead to make sure they stock Malifaux, but I am under the impression they only have boxed sets at the moment.

My plan is to get the rulebook and possibly Rising Powers, a fate deck or two (love the artwork), and a boxed set or two. I'd like to be able to get two sets so I can teach my friends at school how to play and hopefully get them hooked. Luckily, my girlfriend (who lives back home, I spend most of my time 3 hours away at college), is also planning on getting into Malifaux.

Should I go ahead and invest in Rising Powers?

If my shop has it, I want to get the Lady Justice set for myself. The whole blind swords(wo)man thing really does it for me. What models should I get to round out her crew?

If I am going to get a second boxed set so I can try teaching other people, what would you guys recommend? I honestly love all the models and cannot even begin to decide. I was thinking that maybe for the sake of having a good example of opposing forces, something from the Resurrectionists would be a good choice.

Let me know what you guys think, I appreciate the help.

And yes get rising powers. Even if you aren't using model's from the second book,its good to have it so that you can get a good understanding of things you might encounter playing with others.

And yes,I recommend the red chapel gang as well. Seamus and his belle's are a good resser gang. I would however get the convict gunslinger to go with him.

Seamus,2 belles,2 punk zombies and the convict gunslinger.

Lady Justice,Judge,3 Death Marshals,Guild austringer.

That will give both armies a good mix of melee and ranged models. Seamus will give a idea of how you can control and manipulate the battlefield while being able to hold is own against lady J's forces.

Lady Justice will show clearly how strong and nasty a Master can be in combat.

Now another alternative to the Red chapel box set would be Lilith's box set. For that you would want to buy a pack of young nephilim but other then that you would be set.

Honestly, I would buy the $15 Rules Manual before you buy either Book 1 or Rising Powers. The only reasons to get Book 1 or RP now are if you want the fluff, or if you want the stats for all of the other models. As for the rules of the game and how to play, it's much better to use the new Rules Manual. Although, you could use the free PDF online here to start with.

I agree with Lobo on the Rules Manual for learning the game. I would still suggest the rule books themselves for fluff and model stats in general though. There's a feel in Malifaux that the fluff does a fantastic job of capturing, in my opinion.

I really couldn't add anything to what's already been said about what crews to pick up. The idea of Seamus vs. Lady Justice is pretty sweet for demos.

Well, I went to the sale on Friday night and got the rule book and Rising powers, they didn't have any of the models I wanted, so I ordered them online along with a couple of fate decks. Here is what I ordered:

Redchapel Gang Boxed Set

Necropunks

Bette Noir

Convict Gunslinger

Green Fate Deck

Death Marshals Boxed Set

Guild Austringer

The Executioner

Burgundy Fate Deck

Everything should be arriving sometime this week. I'm excited.

I will certainly be asking lots of questions and posting pictures of my models as I paint them.

Given the inexpensiveness of the rules manual, I will probably pick it up before too long. The website I like to order stuff from has terra clips listed to ship in May, so if that is indeed true, I will order the rules manual along with 2 boxes of the streets of Malifaux.

I haven't had a chance to play any demo games myself, so I will be learning the game as I go. I've been reading just about everything I can get my hands on and watching videos on youtube. I feel like I have a general understanding of how the game works and I'm sure when I'm back home over the Summer, I will be able to get help from the playing community in my local game shop.

I am already very appreciative of the direction and advice I've received so far, so thanks all for that.

Yes. The big problem with samurai punk zombies is their tendency to be shot down before they can get into melee. this is why you pair them with a rotten belle. She lures them into its melee range.

For playing Seamus,half your army should be belles. It will make for a very effective force if you keep them with a heavy hitter.

I have never had a problem with that...

Morty can (0) action companion one and fresh meat him up into the fray and they do a lot of damage with one little flurry...

Seamus should mostly have belles, and probably the Convict Gunslinger, I've seen those belles do more damage than they should.

McMourning is the ressers heavy melee master, if there ever was one but you're better off using Lady J, the Viks, or Lilith for that.

If you want to go old school with your demo and just have people beat on each other, go with Perdita vs. Lilith.

Maybe the Viks vs. Lady J or something.

Well, I appreciate further input, but what I've ordered is:

Lady J Box Set

Guild Austringer

Executioner

Burgundy Fate Deck

Redchapel Gang Set

Samurai Punk Zombies

Bette Noir

Convict Gunslinger

Green Fate Deck

As of right now, it appears that my order has been delayed for some reason, so I'm not quite sure when it will be arriving. I kind of wish I had gotten the basing accessories for all of them. Models just look much better with a good base. Let me know if you have any basing advice.