Game Balance

Justin

And yet one side can say "stop" after placing the first piece of terrain, leaving you with only one more for a grand total of two, three at best.

That may be true, but there still is the official recommendation on how much terrain you should use and it is only reasonable not to stop before reaching the lowest recommended number (which I believe is 18 pieces for 3x3 table).

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless one side has strong shooting/ranged spells and there's no point why they shouldn't do so, since there's nothing to stop them.

You are speaking of power players and people who bent the game rules to their advantage (or they'd go for minimal recommended number themselves).

Obviously you can simply not play them again and the issue is solved.

As far as tournaments go, you most probably want pre-set tables anyway, or at worst you will house-rule so that the minimum recommended number is set, so the issue is more or less moot for competitive gameplay.

We know how many pieces of terrain per square feet should be on the table for the game to be fair. If some players try to use the rules to get below that and gain an unfair advantage, it is a gaming culture issue (and potentially a loophole in the ruleset), but not an issue with game balance (as the game works ok on tables build according to the recommendations).

You are speaking of power players and people who bent the game rules to their advantage

Yes. But you don't write the rules with the idea that everyone who plays them will be an angel, in fact you should write them with the thought in mind that someone WILL abuse them if they can.

I would argue what is stopping them is a recognition that, while perfectly viable, you won't win repeat opponents this way.

Considering how limited the pool of players in most areas is, that's hardly a threat if you want to play anyone at all.

I guess it's a good thing that the whole terrain thing that you speak of was dropped in Rising Powers and the Rules Manual.

See page 64 of the Rules Manual:

It is recommended that each square foot of the battlefield have approximately two to four pieces of terrain measuring at least 3” X 3” each to create an engaging and entertaining Encounter. All players should agree on the placement and type of terrain used. Story and Tournament Encounters will specify terrain (and of what type) in their descriptions.

The "I can make you stop after one piece" rule has been gone for a rather long time.

It is recommended that each square foot of the battlefield have approximately two to four pieces of terrain measuring at least 3" X 3" each to create an engaging and entertaining Encounter. All players should agree on the placement and type of terrain used.
If someone playing Perdita wanted to drop one piece and go "We're done" I'd point out the recommendation. If they insisted then it would fall under the "players agree" bit, and I'd apologize and go looking for another game. I wouldn't even feel bad about it - when the standard recommendation is a minimum of 18 pieces, I'd feel no guilt at tagging such an opponent as a powergaming twit.

Edit: Bah, beaten by the bear :)