Table Ideas

NeverEnding

So me and a bunch of friends have/are in the process of ordering some Malifaux. Problem is we have NOWHERE to play, taking up that challenge I decided that I wanted to build my own table. Step number one has me stuck, gladly there is a nifty thing called the intarwebz and I can get some help!

I need a theme that suits the Malifaux world as well as a place that could host our four crews. What we have are The Viktorias, Cult of December, Liliths Brood, and Spirits of Vengence. So thats mildly awkward. Snow covered, graveyards with barracks and some creepy woods? Too much going on for me this is my first table haha.

I was going to order some buildings from Custom Castle (They have a really nice Steampunkesq tower with Gears built into one side and some cool little cottage things) Which gets rid of the buildings but I was hoping for some more basic stuff as well. Clueless me.

Any Ideas to bounce around? I was thinking of just going for two separate tables, one would just be an Alpine woods theme and the other would be an Urban Ghostown thing. Any pointers or ideas?

(I was playing with the idea of a Soviet Russia bunker in the Alpine place, thats totally where Tina spends her time)

A mining village might work for those crews. The Vic's could have been hired to protect the guild interests against the neverborn threat. Raspy's there as the MS&U underboss protecting their Soul stone smuggling trade. And lastly. Kirai is there to hide from the guild among the mine and railroad laborers. Just a thought though.

To represent all this I would suggest a Guild HQ building mirroring a MS&U sponsored lounge/saloon (similar in style to what you see in the Clint Eastwood Movie Pale Rider). A few copse of trees around the perimeter for the Neverborn to skulk around in (suitably dark of course). Include a mine entrance and include a bit of snow on the board (Not middle of winter, more like late fall or early spring). And of course a Chinese tent city for Kirai to hide in.

That should address everyone you want to play and provide for future expansion.

brain explosion! I think im going to run with the mining village but make it 'modernized' so maybe half ramshackle mines (dirty tracks and blah blah) and then as it goes along clean it up into the town throw some snow on that and. Throw in a lot of manholes and BAM. So when i go out and buy an 8x4 board I can get it cut in half and with the 2nd make a sewer.

Oh snap water effects are the bane of my existence...

Ex-illis is going out of business so their current plastic board should be dropping on price, its a perfect 36x36 16 tiles of 9x9

current price is about 100$ could get it for 80 ish online andnow maybe even for less.

Yeah to bad the Ex-Illis boards are generic Fantasy landscapes. Malifaux plays better in more urban style terrain IMO.

Be aware of modular versus static, as well.

Modular Advantages: New game every time, adjust problem locations easily, allows for future projects

Modular Disadvantages: Harder to store, easier to damage, random setups can feel more hodgepoged

Static Advantages: Allows for a unified feel, makes for a fantastic landscape

Static Disadvantages: Problems are hard to fix and may not be obvious immediately, board gets played out after a time, models almost always don't have enough room to stand