Come here my Doll

Ratty

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to say Ratty these are very nice indeed!!! I wish I had the skill/patience to make such awesome bases! I always just want to get on with the painting lol. I can see what you mean about getting the Juju to stand out from the base although I think you have pulled it off.

I'm a little curious however as to what's on the left leg? It seems a lot lighter although that might be the lighting in the photo.

cant wait to see the rest!

Finished my first Stitched together, took far longer than I thought it would, it's literally got thousands upon thousands of really tiny lines to make up the burlap effect. I've also been having some issues with varnish. The matt varnish I used really hasn't knocked the sheen off enough. I hear that Army Painter does a good spray so I might give that a try once I've done the Voodoo Doll and the second Stitched.

Stitched1f.jpg

Stitched1b.jpg

puppets.jpg

Not quite, I made it look more skull like.

The skull face is cool, but why the black on top? It looks a little out of place. It looks like he's wearing a helmet.

The closer shot also gives me a better look at the burlap - you're sick in the head. It looks fantastic and I think I might be able to pull off something similar but I know I wouldn't have the patience. I'd end up rushing and mess it up.

How long did it take to do all that? What size brush did you have to use? Can I assume you use the W&N series 7?

You're a real inspiration to me. I know I'm good, I know I have all the tools, but I also know that I'm a pretty good step below quality like yours. I know if I stop being lazy I could push past my barrier and you really give me something to aspire to. Thanks for being part of the Wyrdness and sharing your work.

The skull face is cool, but why the black on top? It looks a little out of place. It looks like he's wearing a helmet.

I'm a big fan of Captain America, and it's partially influenced by Crossbones.

crossbones.jpg

If you look at it from the side you can see it's a black piece of cloth which has been stitched on. I just felt the model needed a focal point, otherwise it would have ended up just being pale brown all over.

StichedL.jpg

StichedR.jpg

The closer shot also gives me a better look at the burlap - you're sick in the head. It looks fantastic and I think I might be able to pull off something similar but I know I wouldn't have the patience. I'd end up rushing and mess it up.

How long did it take to do all that? What size brush did you have to use? Can I assume you use the W&N series 7?

Nope I had one but I don't use them. I find it better to get a cheap one and just chuck it when the bristles go. To be honest I abuse my brushes. The one I'm using is a eM-4-Miniatures 2/0. It's still Kolinsky Sable but it's dirt cheap. I think I paid about £2 for it, and a GW Basecoat brush for the initial areas and to paint the base.

[qupte]

You're a real inspiration to me. I know I'm good, I know I have all the tools, but I also know that I'm a pretty good step below quality like yours. I know if I stop being lazy I could push past my barrier and you really give me something to aspire to. Thanks for being part of the Wyrdness and sharing your work.

Next up to share is the Voodoo Doll. I have used a similar technique to the Stitched. I again felt it needed a bit of a focal point. So I went with a bright yellow cloth for the face and hands. I've also used black leather for the boots and some of the patches and faded denim on one of the arms. I wanted it to feel far more patched together than the Stitched.

VDoll1f.jpg

VDoll1b.jpg

And a photo from higher up to show off the base more.

VDollBase.jpg

Edited by Ratty

• 4 weeks later...