Tactica: Kaeris

The Zinc Lich

So the people in my area are finally getting into Malifaux. I've been flitting from faction to faction, but I think that I've settled on the Arcanists, mostly because I think that Kaeris is fantastic.

That being said, I have no idea what to do with her. She didn't seem very complicated when I first plunked her down, but I've been getting soundly thwomped in every game I have her in.

As such, I'd like to open a Kaeris tactica thread. What do you take with her? What masters is she best serving under? Is she viable as a master herself? What is the optimum strategy for maximum burnination?

I think more Special Forces(M&SU Assets) will come out before she will have a box set and be a solid choice to take to lead your force.

That said she has a spell called Overheat which works well with disposable friendly construct models. Since she can't generate constructs Colette and Ramos are good choices. Colette makes Mechanical Doves and Ramos makes Steampunk Arachnids.

There is a lot of flexibility in Overheating Mechanical Doves. They start out Harmless though if your opponents really want to kill them they will. Still, they are killing a disposable model and not something important.

Doves can spend 1 AP to fly up to 10", then 1 AP using Magical Extension to cast Magician's Duel. Then you cast Overheat.

You can have Colette summon a Mechanical Dove within 6" of Colette who can activate immediately after Colette's activation ends thanks to Trick of the Hat. It is slow from being summoned, but can spend 1 AP attacking something within 3" with Magician's Duel. I love Magician's Duel. Then you cast Overheat on the Dove and all models within 3" of the past-tense Dove receives a Burning Counter.

Ramos does the same thing with his Steampunk Arachnids which are usually used as spider bombs, but you can cast Overheat on them instead.

Remember, Mechanical Doves can fly 10", Steampunk Arachnids walk 4".

I don't see anything else in the way of synergy with other masters.

I'm looking forward to field her with Rasputina :)

Frozen Heart + Bite of Winter makes her Ignite do a little more damage (alot more %-wise), and Kaeris can attack with it quite a few times during her turn. If there's a Silent One casting North Wind her range ain't that bad either.

Other than that she lets you put even more terrain on the board to block LoS for your opponent.

She's also faster than most of Rasputinas normal crew members.

Not alot of real synergy, but an awesome theme I think (fire and ice, yes!) - will definetly try her out and see if it works.

I don't think she's really suited for Mastering her own crew as of yet though. :/ Book3 plz!

Yup I'm holding my hand until her special forces come out. But once they do, I'm jumping right on top of this. I've had some really good success with her and what few models are out now, but there are definitely some crew based strategies she is waiting for.

But yeah, can't wait for her set and then I'm all over her like white on rice =D

But I will tell you, she is very viable leading her own force. She is just a bit ... clumsy without any other models inflicting Burning counters right now. Plus the mechanic behind Burning counters really promotes you being able to light your entire opponents crew on fire each turn. But yeah... she is a firey good time!

But maybe next week I'll make my write up for her and a few models available. Just gotta go through it and give it a finishing coat of gloss and sure it up basically.

I should also mention that Kaeris doesn't really require strong synergy with other models, though the construct synergy makes Overheat much more useful.

With Kaeris leading your crew she currently has a very limited selection.

Joss (Unique)

Johan (Unique)

Gunsmith

Large Steampunk Arachnid (Rare 2)

Soulstone Miner (Rare 2)

I am really waiting for her box set to come out because I just love the female archanists as a whole but I have 2 ideas with her.

1. As said before just hire her with Colette because Kaeris has use soulstone which fits the crew, also you have those doves running around which I think will be Kaeris's best friend.

35 point list is , Miss Debois, The lovely Cassandra, Kaeris, and 2 Corphree, with one dove starting on the table. Gives you 5 starting soulstones Colette stays back feeding the soulstone mill and pumping out doves for the rest to use. Corphree and Cassandra run the flanks and get sabotage and other things accomplished, Kaeris is up front and the bodyguard for Colette.

2. In a brawls use Colette, and Raspy and hire kaeris in, basically you have the essence of power hoping between Kaeris and raspy with a silent one making both better and unlimited soulstones.