Guild Hound

Hjelmen

I've been looking over my wishlists for my Sonnia crew, which I'm building to be as thematic as I can.

The box is in house, as well as an Executioner. I was looking at her totem and the Convict Gunslinger to round it out to 35SS, but then my eye caught the Guild Hounds! At 3 SS each, I can get two of those for the price of the Gunslinger, and get another SS from their special ability. And as the primary reason: what sort of Witch Hunter would be without a pack of dogs to hunt down their quarry?!

But I'm left wondering how the Guild Hounds actually fare? They seem quite mediocre and naturally work best in pairs, triples or more, so would a single pair of them actually work out well?

TL;DR Has anyone tried the Guild Hounds and how have they worked out? Or has anyone theorized on them in the least? :)

Thank you!

I proxy hounds with my Ortegas quite a bit and I love them! That extra soulstone for every pair lets me run four of them at a cost of ten stones.

The dogs get nimble (can take an extra walk) when they're near another hound and they're crazy fast with their six-inch walk.

Guild hounds companion eachother as well, which is awesome!

They don't deal out a whole lot of damage when they hit, but the pack of hounds together, all doing small increments of damage, can take out big guys on one turn. When I run hounds, their favorite treat seems to be the Hooded Rider and Lelu.

Here is how I usually run the four:

Start out with two separate pairs. They will triple walk 18" after everybody else in my crew has gone, converging upon a target, taking routes around terrain to keep out of range or LoS from some particular enemy models.

The pairs' (or pack's if they have all met up with eachother) can now double walk (a walk and their walk with nimble) to get within an inch of their target, then they'll each attack once.

The next turn, they'll all attach twice and, if their target is killed, they'll take a six-inch walk towards some objectives or find safe cover. (The dogs lose insignifigant when they are near eachother. Don't forget about that. It makes them absolutely wonderful in claiming objectives!)

Now, the dogs are easy to kill, but if you can get initiative while in melee, you can take down your target and run for cover before your opponent makes their first activation.

Also, you were asking about how many hounds to run at a time, I prefer four, but I think anything more than two should be sufficient. The hounds should always act as a unit in combat, and you should expect to at least lose one hound during an encounter. Running three or more helps you out in dealing with that loss since the hounds remaining won't lose any of their benefits having another hound nearby.

I prefer four, though, as it allows me to split my pack into two pairs for claiming objectives. (Treasure hunt is great for the hounds as is destroy the evidence. They are so fast!)

Thanks for the answers, it's very helpful :). There are a few things I can do with my crew to add another two hounds, probably by removing a Witchling Stalker and running Criid with only 6 stones, but I'll proxy it first.

Does anyone know when minis for the hounds will be released?

Thanks for the answers, it's very helpful :). There are a few things I can do with my crew to add another two hounds, probably by removing a Witchling Stalker and running Criid with only 6 stones, but I'll proxy it first.

Does anyone know when minis for the hounds will be released?

No sir, I assume it will be after January though.

I'm joining the others with liking the Hounds. They have a good potential particularly against undead and counter-carrying models, I use mine with LJ. However I found the hardest thing to resist is to throw them alone far ahead, because they're so fast. Once they're all alone in the open they're as good as dead, so they go real fast but it has to be used wisely! :)

I'm joining the others with liking the Hounds. They have a good potential particularly against undead and counter-carrying models, I use mine with LJ. However I found the hardest thing to resist is to throw them alone far ahead, because they're so fast. Once they're all alone in the open they're as good as dead, so they go real fast but it has to be used wisely! :)
I think this all depends on the situation. With how insanely fast they are, they're wonderful for moving at the end of a turn and tearing through your foe's greatest menace.

However, in a match where counters play a strong role, I think that their high speed would allow them to dart around between hiding places while relieving your foes of their counters.

The speed is definitely something that should be used wisely and applied in the manner that best satisfies the circumstances surrounding.