Fun Zoraida thought for the day - Pere Ravage

Rathnard

Much like Papa Loco, Pere Ravage can cast "Oopsie!" twice in one activation to both kill himself and deal 10 damage (with Df resist) to every model in 6".

Unlike Papa Loco, Pere can use (+1) Reckless to move 5" before blowing himself and everyone around him to smithereens.

Now this is where it starts to get silly...

Zoraida can take Pere as part of her crew, and use Obey to charge him up the field before he begins nuking things. :D

Zoraida can also take a Nurse, who can give Pere reactivate. Just think for a moment how much damage a pyromaniac gremlin can do, or how far he can move BEFORE he triggers Oopsie! twice.

So assuming you give Reactivate to Pere and only cast obey once for a single charge action, Pere can move 23" (8" charge plus three 5" walks) before exploding in the enemy crews face for 10 damage. :D

As it turns out, pulse damage like this really hurts Collete's crew, as I found out when I tried this list last night;

Zoraida

Papa Loco 7

Pere Ravage 6

Nurse 6

Terror Tot 3

Terror Tot 3 (25SS)

In turn 1, my rogue Pere managed to take out an entire Collete crew minus Collete herself and a the two mannikins. :D

I just thought I'd share it with you all - it was quite something to watch. ;)

Check Extra Errata

Obey can not cause obeyed model to be killed or sacrificed. Unless you are using the Nurse spell Painkillers and not just Speed to Reactivate.

From Extra Errata:

Obey

Replace "Target model" with "Target non-Master model".

And Add "The action selected may not cause the model to be killed or sacrificed as part of the action. This spell may be cast once per activation."

You're misunderstanding. He's using obey to push Pere up the field, not to trigger abilities like the ones that the Nurse has (she can do that herself) or Pere himself attacking.

But yah, I realized a little bit ago how mean of a list a Nurse, Pere, and Papa would be, and it's great to see someone using it so successfully. I might have to break down and buy those models now, just to see the look on my opponents face when I bring that many blasts to the table.

Check Extra Errata

Obey can not cause obeyed model to be killed or sacrificed. Unless you are using the Nurse spell Painkillers and not just Speed to Reactivate.

As Teal said I was obeying Pere for the wk/charge, not to use Oopsie. But while we're on the subject, I could have killed Pere via obey anyway, since the errata only prevents you from performing an action that will definitely result in the model being killed or sacrificed. Pere might fail to cast Oopsie, so his death is not a guaranteed outcome. It's been addressed in the rules discussion forum - just do a search for "papa loco" and "obey".

Neither me nor my opponent were quite expecting the damage that Pere wrought. I actually thought I'd messed up when I gave reactivate to Pere, since I'd somehow assumed that Pere will be able to shrug off the sacrifice effect (like Papa Loco). With little choice but to try and take as many models with him as possible, I did exactly that...

...apparently he can take quite alot of models with him. :eek:

As Teal said I was obeying Pere for the wk/charge, not to use Oopsie. But while we're on the subject, I could have killed Pere via obey anyway, since the errata only prevents you from performing an action that will definitely result in the model being killed or sacrificed. Pere might fail to cast Oopsie, so his death is not a guaranteed outcome. It's been addressed in the rules discussion forum - just do a search for "papa loco" and "obey".

:flaminghe

HOLY COW!!! You are correct.....MMMWWWWHAAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

Doesn't a charge action have to end in combat? Seems a bit cheeky saying you're going to charge a model you're never going to reach just for the extra movement! lol

Also, if you summon the voodoo doll six inches away in the path of pere you can get in another sneaky obey in turn one to give you even greater range. Or take a doppleganger and copy shrug off and obey for two extra obey's in the turn via the nurse (who can dose pere and the dg in one turn) :D

Edited by magicpockets

Doesn't a charge action have to end in combat? Seems a bit cheeky saying you're going to charge a model you're never going to reach just for the extra movement! lol

It's completely legitimate, just like killing your own models or obeying enemy models to jump off buildings. ;)

Also, if you summon the voodoo doll six inches away in the path of pere you can get in another sneaky obey in turn one to give you even greater range. Or take a doppleganger and copy shrug off and obey for two extra obey's in the turn via the nurse (who can dose pere and the dg in one turn) :D

You can definitely do that, and in fact with Zoraida, a voodoo doll and a doppelganger in the right spots for obeying, plus the Nurse within 2" at some point for a reactivate, you could move Pere 39" before casting "Oopsie" (8"x3 plus 5"x3).

The problem is, you require a "perfect storm" of model positioning to get such a combo off. All three obey-casters need to be in range of Pere during his merry journey (not too hard), and in the intervening four activations (Nurse, Zoraida&Voodoo, Doppelganger, Pere, Pere), your opponent has to sit there like a chump and do nothing to interfere with the combo (almost impossible). Even a single wound on Pere prevents you using reckless for another 5", and two wounds will stop you using "Oopsie" more than once.

Part the reason it worked so well in my game is that my opponent wasn't expecting it. What I did yesterday required three activations to get off (Nurse, Pere, Pere), leaving my opponent with two activations to recognise the threat and deal with Pere. Fortunately I had a higher activation count than him but even so, the plan wasn't foolproof.

Another, more feasible trick would be to use the nurse to make Pere unkillable for a turn, obey him to get him in amongst the enemy, and then activate him to cast "Oopsie" three times with reckless (4-5 if you somehow also have a voodoo doll or doppelganger around and they don't also need to obey Pere to charge him into the enemy). This has the advantage of your opponent being more or less unable to actually kill Pere in the intervening activation.

One final note - Pere's "Oopsie" still allows a Df resist, so it's probably wise to wait until you have a few 11+ cards in your hand before throwing him into the fray.

Anyway, this whole experience has left me much more excited about the potential for Pere. The nurse makes him much more of a threat but even without her and her drugs, the fact that you can Obey Pere to help get him into position makes him a great threat for his SS cost.

Papa Loco can do the same, but I'm undecided as to which is a better choice (assuming you're not taking both ;) ). He's tougher and has a bigger damage output than pere, but he's also lacking reckless, is more expensive and might start throwing dynamite at your crew. :rolleyes:

Edited by Rathnard

Definitely, although you'd only be using oopsie once and I suspect your opponent will use any chance you give him to kill that doppelganger while she's low on wounds. So you'd have to be very careful about when you put her in harms way (ie. ideally after most/all your opponents models have activated).

In fact, you could use a doppelganger to do the same with breathe fire or thrown dynamite - both are pretty strong attacks and burning a soulstone for the attack flip makes it much easier to get severe damage off for the extra blast damage. :D