Shopping Suggestions

Vlad the Mad

Hi everyone,

I've been reading the forums for a while now, and finally decided to join the community as I'm about to go on a Malifaux shopping spree.

I'm a beginner, and I'll probably start with the Guild and the Neverborn. As for the Neverborn, I was hooked on Lilith from the start, but also couldn't resist getting the Dreamer. I was wondering if you would suggest anything else to round up the selection for the start.

I am currently contemplating the two totem options for Lilith, a pair or two of Young Nephs, and maybe a Teddy to use with the Dreamer in the future. I'll play Lilith only for the start, but after I get accustomed to the game I plan on playing the Dreamer as well.

So, with that background, what would be your shopping list in addition to the Lilith Box?

All advice is welcome!

Welcome to Malifaux. :wavey: You have been warned. :hangman:

Here is my list for you. Waldgiest blister, Young Neph blister, Mature Neph and Lilith's totem though I never really use him.

The Waldgiest is a must in my mind when it comes to Lilith. His function as a high armor hard to hit mobile screen is invaluable.

As For the Dreamer I am still waiting to see the Nightmare box teaser before I make any suggestions there.

Edited by Murphy'sLawyer

The Dreamers Box set will probably be out in month of so, so if you can hold out till then, it's worth it.

For Lilith, 100% get the box set. You will want to use Terror Tots at various points in your play with her and you will need at least 1 Mature Nephilim Model. Generally 1 blister of young (includes 2 models) should be fine. But you may want to pick up a second. As for her totem, I love it. I think it may be one of the best in the game mainly because of how nice Lilith's spells are and the totem's Love spell get huge use.

Edited by karn987
Corrected thanks to Murphy'sLawyer ;)

Don't buy two cherubs, you only need one.

But the rest is right. Get your young nephs and waldgeists. They have good synergy for Lilith. I wouldn't say the Waldgeists are auto includes, but there are times when they come in extremely useful.

For the dreamer, just wait. But I've seen Alps used to good effect. Maybe pick them up when they come out. A totem is always a good buy as well.

Don't listen to anyone in this thread! Seriously though, if you plan to play Lilith, just buy the absolute must haves, which make an army on their own. Then expand when the new models come out or if you decide to grab other stuff.

Any Lilith army will need tots, young and mature nephilim, because you will be growing them. The box set, I believe, only comes with 1 mature Nephilim, but eventually you will hit a game where you could grow a second one (they are rare 2), and you will regret not having that second one around.

So, the things you have to buy are:

Lilith box set

Young Nephilim pack

Cherub

I recommend also picking up

2nd mature nephilim

You can make a perfectly good crew out of this while you decide what else you want and wait for the book 2 models to get released. Then decide if you want Nekima or maybe Lilitu/Lelu or maybe a Black Blood Shaman or maybe go old school with the Waldgeists.

Don't listen to anyone in this thread! Seriously though, if you plan to play Lilith, just buy the absolute must haves, which make an army on their own. Then expand when the new models come out or if you decide to grab other stuff.

Any Lilith army will need tots, young and mature nephilim, because you will be growing them. The box set, I believe, only comes with 1 mature Nephilim, but eventually you will hit a game where you could grow a second one (they are rare 2), and you will regret not having that second one around.

So, the things you have to buy are:

Lilith box set

Young Nephilim pack

Cherub

I recommend also picking up

2nd mature nephilim

You can make a perfectly good crew out of this while you decide what else you want and wait for the book 2 models to get released. Then decide if you want Nekima or maybe Lilitu/Lelu or maybe a Black Blood Shaman or maybe go old school with the Waldgeists.

Natty speaks wisely here. I keep forgetting the waldgeist is not necessary dispute his synergy with Lilith.

Natty speaks wisely here. I keep forgetting the waldgeist is not necessary dispute his synergy with Lilith.

Waldgeist not necessary?

I know in RP, growing tots is much easier, but you will not always get the mature, unless you buy it from the beginning. I have had my tots nuked in attempts to drain my SS pool by both Raspy and Perdita already...

Waldgeist perform a very useful screen (real or illusory forests) and can effectively remove big hitters like Teddy and Engines from the game by funnelling them where you want them and blocking LOS.

Waldgeist not necessary?

I know in RP, growing tots is much easier, but you will not always get the mature, unless you buy it from the beginning. I have had my tots nuked in attempts to drain my SS pool by both Raspy and Perdita already...

Waldgeist perform a very useful screen (real or illusory forests) and can effectively remove big hitters like Teddy and Engines from the game by funnelling them where you want them and blocking LOS.

Lol. I do love my Waldgeist a lot but for a beginner looking to get started it is more important to get the Nephilims filled out before expanding.

But after the young and a second mature he should get the waldgeist.

Lol. I do love my Waldgeist a lot but for a beginner looking to get started it is more important to get the Nephilims filled out before expanding.

But after the young and a second mature he should get the waldgeist.

Damn straight!

*apologies to the OP, I plan then buy everything I will need. Then play them once I get around to painting them and including each into my crew.

Thanks a lot for the all the advice - the Waldgeist discussion was particularly helpful. For the time being I'll just go with the Lilith box and a blister of Young Nephs and a Cherub. A Waldgeist will probably follow later on and I'll decide what to with Lord Chompy Bits when the box is released and I get my hands on the Rising Powers book.

Once again, thanks for all the comments!

Don't buy two cherubs, you only need one.

I meant buy it as the 2nd purchase, not purchase 2, but I can see where the confusion comes from ;)

On Waldgeist, it probably depends how much terrain you already use... I've never been in a situation with Lillith where I've thought 'hmn... if only i'd brought a waldgeist' ... that said, I rarely cast Illusionary forest either since we tend to have enough LOS blocking terrain on our tables that between terrain and transposition I can alpha from behind something more often than not.

Edited by tenabrae

Thanks a lot for the all the advice - the Waldgeist discussion was particularly helpful. For the time being I'll just go with the Lilith box and a blister of Young Nephs and a Cherub. A Waldgeist will probably follow later on and I'll decide what to with Lord Chompy Bits when the box is released and I get my hands on the Rising Powers book.

Once again, thanks for all the comments!

Please also consider the Convict Gunslinger and Doppleganger.

Hope you enjoy Neverborn as much as I have... once the new Dreamer box comes out I will have all my Neverborn masters... and can consider (but probably wont) playing another faction. Though I will paint and display the rest of the crews.